Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Post by Bolster »

This idea has probably already occurred to everyone reading this thread:

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Keeping all dimensions the same but adding length to the ubiquitous utility blade and having the notches/holes in the appropriate places means you could use the imagined longer blade or use the nominal size one in a new knife and that would be something unique. A retractable OTF knife would need to have a longer throw obviously and a folder or fixed version would be more useful with the added length.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:35 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 pm
People complained about the cost of the Tenacious 8cr at $50, how can an exspensive throw away razor blade knife compete?

There will always be people who complain about knives made in China, regardless of cost or materials used. Even that being the case, are you saying that the Tenacious is unsuccessful? Pretty sure it's been a great seller for Spyderco.

This currently fictional higher quality utility knife does not have to be made in China nor does it need to compete with the existing utility knives at the hardware store. I would hope it would be designed for people who want a typical Spyderco quality knife that takes replaceable blades and lasts a lifetime, just like any other Spyderco knife -- a utility knife designed for "knife enthusiasts".

There is a market for it. Knife companies would absolutely make profit. You may not see the value in one, but there are many that do. I hope the people at Spyderco will someday give this idea a chance and not be discouraged by the negative opinions.

For several years, I worked jobs where I used a utility knife with replaceable blades. It was the best tool for the job, but the cheap, poor quality knives available made me wish for something better. The Spectrum Energetics Utilizer would have been a huge upgrade, but it did not exist when I worked those jobs. It's on my radar now, but I'd be more interested in a Spyderco design.
I am not saying the Tenacious is unsuccessful, it is a very good knife in 8cr, fit and finish is very good. I have two at the moment and gifted a new one to my brother in law a few weeks ago. What I was saying is many people on forums were complaining about the cost at $50 for an 8cr knife made in China when they could get a D2 China knife for less.

Im sure a few people would pay $100-$150 for a high dollar Titanium utility knife with disposable blades, but My opinion it wouldnt be worth tooling up because sales would be low. (and I know nothing about cost of tooling or sales)

A $5 Stanley will last a lifetime for a guy in the construction field unless he loses it. Then he just gets another with no worry.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:29 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:37 pm
Does this mean Spyderco would become a "me too" brand? Just following the market instead of making the market? I can't see Sal being happy with that, if that's the case.
I'm not opposed to this happening, if Spyderco can improve on what's already out there, and can make a decent profit doing it, I say go for it. It's very unlikely I would join along, but ya never know.
Is Spyderco a "me too" brand for making kitchen knives? Kitchen cutlery existed long before Spyderco. Pocket knives also existed before Spyderco... I like Spyderco's designs and the way they do things and would love to see their take on a utility knife.
Totally agree.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Didn’t read every post but this exists too:

Gil-Tek - RUK Rapid Utility Knife (Google because I only have a dealer link). Aluminum, brass, titanium... actually here it is: https://gil-tek.com/product/ruk-version-2-titanium/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

RLR wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:15 am
Didn’t read every post but this exists too:

Gil-Tek - RUK Rapid Utility Knife (Google because I only have a dealer link). Aluminum, brass, titanium... actually here it is: https://gil-tek.com/product/ruk-version-2-titanium/
That’s much more interesting to me than folding utility knives. While practical, it feels like a gentleman’s utility knife because it’s compact and thin. For harder use I’d want a longer, more bulbous handle. Prybar at the back end is an excellent idea. They ought to make one in stainless steel. It’d be lighter than the brass version, stronger than all the others, and cheaper than the titanium version.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 4.44.25 PM.png
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Try slicing with that $240 piece of pocket jewelry. The Cold Steel version is far superior and cost less. The blades are more expensive, but easily sharpened so you get much more use out of each blade.
If Spyderco is to make one, I’d prefer something closer to CS than to that above.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:38 pm
Try slicing with that $240 piece of pocket jewelry. The Cold Steel version is far superior and cost less. The blades are more expensive, but easily sharpened so you get much more use out of each blade.
If Spyderco is to make one, I’d prefer something closer to CS than to that above.

Sounds like you're describing the foundation for a folding Mule Team ;) I'd like that!

However, having to take the time to resharpen and spend more money on the "disposable" blades of the CS knife you're referring to is the reason why we have these typical utility knives in the first place. I'm sure that knife will satisfy certain situations, but IME when I use a utility knife it's because I'm about to cut something that'll likely cause alot of damage to, or destroy the blade. Also makes a great loaner.

That Utilizer isn't intended to slice through an apple, but it'll handle cutting jobs on a construction site, warehouse, etc. just fine, like they have everyday around the world for decades. A nicer option like the Utilizer above clearly has a market.

I doubt Spyderco will venture into this market (and not necessarily in the $200 range, hopefully cheaper options), but I hope I'm wrong. :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been pretty happy with my gerber utility. every time i use it to break down boxes, it makes me think we're all a bunch of morons for talking about how long our pocket knives last cutting cardboard. the utility knife is far superior at handling the task, far cheaper to purchase, and has cheap replacement blades. that said, i'm not trading my pocket knives for a utility knife and i'm certainly not spending $100+ for a blade holder. i'll just keep my prybrid in my bag ready to go.
i thought this could be an interesting idea in the beginning, but i'm not interested in where some of you are trying to take this. $240 for a utility knife is bonkers. you do realize you can go to lowe's and get a $30 milwaukee holder with great ergonomics, multiple blade angles, extra blade storage, a pocket clip, and a button lock, right?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I, too, have wondered why folks prematurely use up the longevity of their fine knives for routine cutting of abrasive cardboard. As much as I'm fond of my Spydercos and other high-quality folders, both traditional and modern, I find a generic folding utility knife more appropriate for cutting thin materials. I'm able to easily sharpen the blades, though I recognize that doesn't work for everyone.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 am
i thought this could be an interesting idea in the beginning, but i'm not interested in where some of you are trying to take this. $240 for a utility knife is bonkers. you do realize you can go to lowe's and get a $30 milwaukee holder with great ergonomics, multiple blade angles, extra blade storage, a pocket clip, and a button lock, right?

$240 is definitely beyond my price range, though I have no doubt they would sell. Depending on materials used, I'd be willing to pay ~$100.

I guess it depends on the buyer's reason for purchase. Apart from the Salt line with rust proof steels, I'm more interested in design and ergos, less about the steel. A well-thought-out utility knife design with Spyderco's build quality would get my money. It wouldn't be a mere utility blade holder, but a comfortable, hard use, high quality, utility knife. That's what I would hope for.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Atlantic Salt 2 PE does the trick for me. The neon green color makes it super easy to find in a toolbox or bag.
SSR3

Post by SSR3 »

If Spyderco does make a utility knife, it needs to take OLFA blades.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Way too much competition in the utility knife sector for Spyderco to compete and make an affordable knife. when I can go to Home Depot and buy a 2 pack of Husky utility knives for under $12

I could be wrong and that's fine if I am. But I don't blame Spyderco for not showing much interest in this area.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'm surprised so many people are against the idea of a quality utility knife. I suppose this forum isn't often an accurate representation of the general knife community, so maybe there is still hope :)
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:37 am
I'm surprised so many people are against the idea of a quality utility knife. I suppose this forum isn't often an accurate representation of the general knife community, so maybe there is still hope :)
I would not say against exactly. As much as lack of demand and trying to compete in a market with scores of quality utility knife makers such as Stanley. And utility knives are cheap for a reason. They are considered disposable and built as such. Heck my $12 Husky 2 pack I consider a good knife for beater and rough use.

I have to disagree with your opinion that the people in this forum do not represent the general knife community. I consider the people in this forum a strong representation and part of the general knife community. And apparently so does Spyderco and Sal Glesser. Since they built this forum for customers input.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Josh1973 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:04 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:37 am
I would not say against exactly. As much as lack of demand and trying to compete in a market with scores of quality utility knife makers such as Stanley. And utility knives are cheap for a reason. They are considered disposable and built as such. Heck my $12 Husky 2 pack I consider a good knife for beater and rough use.

I have to disagree with your opinion that the people in this forum do not represent the general knife community. I consider the people in this forum a strong representation and part of the general knife community. And apparently so does Spyderco and Sal Glesser. Since they built this forum for customers input.

Just looking at the feedback in this thread, I'd say alot of people have no interest in this proposal. Many are saying they are fine with the current cheap, disposable knives found at hardware stores. But they don't have to be cheap, disposable, lower quality knives. They could be made to the same quality as Spyderco or other quality brands. There are other higher quality options, but I hope to see one from Spyderco someday. Again, there are people buying them, so there is a market for it.

Looking at this forum, there are, more often than not, trends and opinions that differ from what is typically found in groups on other social media outlets. For example, try to voice a pro-SE opinion anywhere but this forum and nine times out of ten, nearly everyone will just say you're ignorant and don't know how to sharpen PE. It is what it is, but this forum has a different following, not to say there aren't any similarities or things we all agree on in the community. Things are just a bit different here. Not wrong, just different.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Interesting to see this thread pop up again.

I still believe there is a market, though I don't know how big it would be.

To those who say Spyderco can't (more likely won't) compete with Husky, Olfa, Stanley etc... You are correct. They shouldn't. If they were to make a $12 ute I would be LESS inclined to buy it, because it wouldn't likely have the qualities that make a Spydie a Spydie.

Completely unrelated... I have a $130 Tactile Turn bolt action pen with a $2 Pilot G2 refill in it. I like the quality pen and the cheap disposable refill. Hmmm almost sounds familiar, maybe it wasn't completely unrelated after all...

Cheers