** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco knife model would you like to see as the next Forum knife?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Paramilitary 2
39%
Manix 2
11%
Caly 3.5
26%
Foundry
0%
Domino
5%
Southard
2%
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
3%
SuperHawk
5%
SuperLeaf
3%
Persian
3%

Total votes: 203

DougC-3

Re: *UPDATED*: 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING ENDS FEB 1

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:I know that I said that I wasn't going to do this.......but the amount of new voters took me completely by surprise.

Since the past voters have not decided to get behind any of the leaders yet - I thought that I would post a record of the votes at the current time of this post so that if things drastically change later at least we can see what happened and when.

It is much easier to just do a print screen and crop and then upload the pic for me but at least the info is still there - even if it isn't in such an easy to read format as what GoldenSpydie put together.
Jan29.png
In my browser (Chrome) I just click a time or two and it fills the sxreen.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for doing the screenshots, etc., Manixfan. I was sick these past few days and so I could barely make it on to update my "1-a-day" thread.

Have we considered a new poll (in a new thread) with only two options (Caly 3.5 and PM2)? Or maybe 3 options (Caly, PM2, Manix)? That might "force" people to rally behind their second or third choice.

Oh...and GO PM2!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

So bored with the PM2...soo many variants already, don't we all have one.
With the Caly 3.5 just getting the can, it would be awesome to have a chance to get a forum knife version.

I really hope Sal cans the PM2 idea...a great knife and all but enough already.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks for doing the screenshots, etc., Manixfan. I was sick these past few days and so I could barely make it on to update my "1-a-day" thread.

Have we considered a new poll (in a new thread) with only two options (Caly 3.5 and PM2)? Or maybe 3 options (Caly, PM2, Manix)? That might "force" people to rally behind their second or third choice.

Oh...and GO PM2!
We could have a poll to determine if we need such new poll :rolleyes: ;) :o forget I said that :D Actually mght be a good idea :confused:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
springnr

Post by springnr »

To allow members the opportunity to collectively share in the uniqueness which is Spyderco, my vote is the Meerkat forum knife.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So I finally got around to finding the video that explains why this vote was ALWAYS going to end with the PM2. See below, and you can stop at gerrymandering...
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Man I would give anything for a red g10 para with a black blade......spyderco theme colors
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks for doing the screenshots, etc., Manixfan. I was sick these past few days and so I could barely make it on to update my "1-a-day" thread.

Oh...and GO PM2!

I really don't think it would make a difference. If the PM2 IS a possibility for the Forum knife and everyone who has voted other than for the Caly 3.5 is alright with that as a second choice then that is the clear winner.
<later edit: coloured and bold font in response to the post subsequent to this one>

If the PM2 is not an option for a Forum knife......and only Spyderco knows the answer to that .......then the Caly 3.5 is the clear favourite.

If the Caly 3.5 and Manix 2 are not option for a Forum knife then it is pretty well up in the air as there are so many diverse fan groups for niche knife personal favourites. In which case, Spyderco offering what they feel fits best in their production logistics taking into consideration all of the suggestions being thrown out over the several threads that have been created is a better choice in my opinion than lobbying for one niche knife over another and creating hard feelings between forumites ......which has already happened within the current threads and polling.

But basically .......if you haven't voted for the PM2 and you would rather have a Caly 3.5 Forum knife than a PM2 if you had to choose.......then you should be switching your vote. If you would prefer the PM2 over the Caly3.5......even though it is in the lead by a lot.....then you should switch to the PM2. A narrowing down the vote to two knives doesn't mean that is what you would prefer over that of your initial choice but what you would prefer out of the two top contenders.

The one thing though with the PM2 is that I think a lot of people are voting for it because they want it......but with a specific exotic steel type. If they were told that a PM2 Forum knife would not be M4, Maxamet, 10v or some as to yet unused boutique supersteel and might be S30v or S35v then would the current voting be the same? I don't think so but I don't know how this could be reflected in any voting.

I personally am all polled out at this point and have no desire to start another poll myself or maybe even bother voting in another poll. We've already polled all the knives within one certain size range and I guess we could do another poll within the approx 3" range which was the next choice of blade sized models. But then what would that accomplish without any further feedback?

Why poll for a second choice size range if Spyderco is happy to respond to this poll and select the next Forum knife from the range of the current top choices?

Sal said that they are watching.......well the Forum has provided an indication of what we are hoping for......whether or not it is possible is up to Spyderco. Instead of any more voting that would basically be an aimless polling of forumites second choice size grouping I personally believe that after having given Spyderco something to watch ........that now we should be "waiting" for a response from them.

But then again.........it is a free country (western democratic society) and any forumite is welcome to open a polling thread as they desire. But it won't be me.

At this point if there is any more voting to be done then I would hope that it would be a poll that Spyderco sets up themselves with options that they have already predetermined to be realistic possibilities. That way they would actually be prepared to act on the results of any such poll.

Or, alternatively Spyderco could just announce what the next Forum knife will be........ irrespective of any of the polling or ideas that have been spitballed around so far if these polls or suggestions are just not realistic to what they are able to offer. I personally would be happy with any of the current top three choices .........as well as some of the others as well.

I am also hoping that the voting will align between two knives in the end.......but I know it won't. No matter how well you explain the process there will always be someone who doesn't "get it" ......perhaps because written English is not their native language and they just don't understand or possibly because they never read any of the thread and just clicked on their choice and that was it for them because they thought that was what the vote was all about.

All in all, I think ALL of the threads and polling regarding the next Forum knife was a good exercise. But I personally believe that without any feedback from Sal and Spyderco that any further p[olling would be a waste of time and effort. Which is why it won't be me that sets up any future polling without any feedback from Spyderco. As I've said previously..........other Forumites are welcome to proceed in that direction if they choose to do so.
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Pretty easy to see who did and did not vote for the PM2..everyone that didn't is trying desperately to come up with new ways to do the polls, clamoring for any possible scenario that their knife could possibly still have a chance, LOL.

The PM2 won.. And by ALOT... The end.. Haha
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

jalcon wrote:Pretty easy to see who did and did not vote for the PM2..everyone that didn't is trying desperately to come up with new ways to do the polls, clamoring for any possible scenario that their knife could possibly still have a chance, LOL.

The PM2 won.. And by ALOT... The end.. Haha
Haha? :rolleyes:

Ok.....you voted for the PM2.....you win.....hence you must be a winner. ;)
But if you really want to analyze this properly.........the MAJORITY of people DID not vote for the PM2 :D

But I must say.......there ARE enough votes to turn this around.......and if that happens I wonder what you will be posting then? Perhaps something like the pic below?
Nelson.jpg
Nelson.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
Enjoy your "victory"

I would be happy to pick up a PM2 if that is the next Forum knife but I don't think that makes me a loser because I voted for the Caly 3.5; and I believe that most of the people who voted for the PM2 would also be quite happy to pick up a Caly 3.5, Manix 2 or even a Dragonfly if any of those were to be the next Forum knife.......and would not consider themselves to have "lost" anything. I also would like to point out that my last post indicates that I believe that no further polling SHOULD be done if the PM2 is the winner and also another person who suggested another runoff poll IS someone who voted for the PM2 .......so I'm not sure how you've arrived at your conclusion with such contradictory evidence?

I think if you have to define the outcome of this polling in terms of "winning" or "losing"........you have already "lost" in the grand scheme of things. But in the meantime......you sure are a "winner".

Or, as Charlie Sheen puts it "Winning!".......do you have "tiger blood" too by any chance?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Got a few hours left folks, come on CALY 3.5 FANS!! VOTE!!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

For what it's worth I voted for the PM2, but doubt I even pick one up if it wins....We'll see.. Like you said before though, and I've been saying.. This is all for naught until Sam chimes in..
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jalcon wrote:For what it's worth I voted for the PM2, but doubt I even pick one up if it wins....We'll see..
Voting!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

With less than two days to go screen capture of voting was taken at 12:30AM ......basically just before the time of this post.
Jan 31 12.30am.png
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

72 to 46 right now with under 24 hours to go
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Approximately 29 hrs to go.......voting ends at 10:16pm - EST
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Just a touch over 23 hrs left on this poll folks at the time of this post.
Here are the results at this time with 194 voters.......it would be nice to top 200 by the end :)

But if you are going to switch to a vote for one of the top two knives (PM2 or Caly 3.5)....... then now is the time to do it. ;)
January31-10pm.png
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Another vote here for the Caly 3.5.

The PM2 is ok, but there are so many PM2 Sprints, Exclusives, Special Runs, etc., already in existence. Would be sweet to see something new and different for a change, such as the Caly 3.5.
timlara

Post by timlara »

tvenuto wrote:So I finally got around to finding the video that explains why this vote was ALWAYS going to end with the PM2.
Very interesting. Thanks, tvenuto! :)
Paulsmp

Post by Paulsmp »

Is there a chance for a liner lock with spyderedge?