What makes a knife your "FAVORITE"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mallus

Re: What makes a knife your "FAVORITE"?

Post by Mallus »

It's difficult to pinpoint what exactly makes a knife my favorite. I have more Spydies than any sane person would need, and there have of course been reasons why I've acquired each. For some it has been interest in the steel and for some it has been the function. For instance, I like Super Blue for the sharp edge it easily takes and bought a Schempp Khukuri because I was interested in Ed's take on negative blade angle and the handle ergonomics.

Now, the only way to finally see if the knife is what I thought it to be is to use it:

Regarding Super Blue, I haven't found it to rust visibly, but wonder if the apex corrodes after peeling apples when I can't rinse it immediately, and will have to resort to only wiping the blade on something? I'd like to see more stainless alternatives of steels of this type come up. Too bad the Nitrobe 77 is so close to unobtainium, I was very interested after seeing Marthinus' review of his Des Horn Imvubu on Cliff's forum http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/ ... 102,page=1" target="_blank

Ed's Khukuri design, on the other hand, turned out to be of such a thick blade stock that I didn't like it terribly much, and before I had a chance to do something about the thickness, I managed to loose it somewhere. I'm looking forward to The Frontier Bowie, because it has so thin blade. In general, most folder are not very ergonomic in hand when used for cutting that requires a lot of force, like whittling thick chips out of dry wood. Therefore, I'd like to see much thinner blades and designs that support them to increase cutting efficiency. Delica is quite thin and I've yet to see one that has broken in use, so thin could do it. Especially, if the steel chosen was tough.

One of my rather surprising favorites is the Squeak. It fit's my hand very well and I somehow like how opening and closing the slip-joint feel. Also the three finger grip is perfect for small tasks and one can easily use the knife anywhere as it's so non-threatening. A problem (there has to be one...) I have with the Squeak is, that it keeps on escaping from my pocket. I've already lost one and the replacement too has jumped out several times when cycling to work. It's probably due to the slick, G10 imitation FRN scales and have been considering to solve it by making bit coarser scales on my own.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mine are the same as most of you, BUT the cool s#!+ they have seen me through weighs in too. If one was carried during a milestone or got me out of a jam it gains cred...
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

the classic buck knive is my favorite. Reliable, strong, stays sharp.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

The best combination of the below factors make my favourite knives...
Price - Preferably less than £150.00
Steel - M390
Blade shape - Bowie / clip point - not leaf
Lock - Compression
Handle - G10 nested liners > FRN nested liners - Don't like linerless
Weight - medium - I like it to feel substantial
Bulkiness - slim
Colour - Nothing drab like foliage green

Obviously, my perfect knife doesn't exist yet...
If it did, I think it would be a Paramilitary 2 with the blade shape of the Foundary.
Jamesh Bond

Post by Jamesh Bond »

The perfect balance of form and function.

When a knife has perfect ergos, perfect performance, and looks awesome, the formula is complete. This puts it on my favorite list.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ergonomics, the way it fits my hand. The original Stretch wasn't Spyderco's best looking knife by a long shot, and I still think it would look better with either a straight spined "Military" style blade or a "splinter picker" PE Dyad style one, but the way it fit my hand made me a fan for life. But esthetics do enter into it too. The original bolster and scales Kiwi combines both, it's functional jewelry that doesn't sacrifice function.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm really surprised at how much difference the lock makes.

I've been rotating EDC's lately (right now I've got a VG-10 CE Endura in my pocket), and I keep coming back to the Manix 2 because of the CBBL. Being able to easily open and close with one hand is huge for me. So much so that I may try a double action OTF knife (they are legal here) next.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I tend to agree with Surfingringo and EVIL on this one. Because functionality and quality have always been a the forefront of what I deem a knife to be good for. For instance one of my all time favorite knife designs is the Phil Boguszewski Spike models that BEnchmade put out in the mid and late 90s. However Spyderco had a model that was very similar to that model which is the C-50 Centofante of which I'm on a desperate search to find a couple of them ( PE & SE).

At the moment my very favorite user Spyder over all is my Sprint C-60 Ayoob model which I also find it aesthetically pleasing as well. From a standpoint pf pure function I've been using my old 440V, SE Native model for all the extremely rough cutting jobs I"ve had for the past 2 months.

Also I like uniqueness as well and some of the models I like from that standpoint are the C-111 Captain, The Dodo and Lil Temperance models come to mind in that regard. Spyderco probably has something for just about anyone who is looking for a "FAVORITE" knife. If you can't find at least one or two knives in the Spyderco line up that you could call a favorite then that individual is extremely picky beyond belief.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Size, ergo, blade steel...have many spydies, from bug set to Tatanka...but 7 inchers are my preferred EDC so it's either the lil lionspy, or the Native 5 for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The BM Phil Boguszewski Spike model I made mention of in my prior post is a very functional blade with it's extreme spear point and full flat grind. It is so versatile and is still in my EDC rotation>> but the Spyderco C-50 Centofante PE & SE would be my pick over the Boguszewski model because of it's G-10 handle and a blade just a tad bit longer which I find to also be handy.

Function is what ultimately drove me to Hawkbill Fanaticism :rolleyes: >> Function showed me the utilitarian uses of the NATIVE model that I at one time didn't really like a whole lot>> BUT I DO NOW!! especially in Spyderedge :cool:

My ultimate EDC king the C-60 Ayoob has so many viable functions it's capable of that I'm surprised it didn't become a permanent fixture in the main line up. Anyone who would try an Ayoob would be sold I'm 99% certain.

Function is what's driving this current Ladybug Hawkbill craze that is just sweeping Spyderville by storm.

Even Spyderco's recurves and Reverse S models have distinct functions.
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

What makes a knife my "favorite" would be, cutting ability,edge holding and ergonomics.
Tim_McD

Post by Tim_McD »

This is a great thread; I am reading through these responses and finding myself agreeing with all of the empirical analysis (steel, shape, lock, etc.) and almost of all of the subjective (blade shape, color, etc.)

I have a very modest collection of Spyderco knives {Caly3 ZDP, Domino, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Manix2 LW, Native 5 Forum, Pacific Salt, Tasman Salt (SE)} and I have made a conscious decision to slow down my acquisitions, so I am picking up new knives that are substantially different from ones that I already have.

But in the end, what makes a knife my favorite is when it is the right tool for the right job; I don’t head outside to do any yardwork without my Tasman in my pocket, the tacklebox is home to my Pacific Salt, the keychain has the Ladybug and the rest are rotated at whim. I love them all, but the Caly3 gets the most love as far as EDC goes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:Good thread, Survingringo! I had to think about this one for a minute...

1. Light weight and low profile in pocket

2. Ergonomics

3. Steel
Brother TED your post is just short, sweet and spot-on :cool: The one word you said that hit the nail on the head so well was "ERGONOMICS">> one prime example is the hallowed C-60 Ayoob model>> I don't know of many more Spyders with the possible exception of the Dodo or Temperance 1 that has ergos like those models do. And they fit so many hand sizes so well which is what blows me away.

And Spyderco's marketing of all the new blade steels is so far ahead of any other knife company's products that there is literally no comparison.

But again Spyderco's ERGONOMICS with so many of their great models>> and I'm also talking about their fixed blades that are as well designed as their great folders. Spyderco's ERGOs are tops period. BRing BAck The Ayoob in PE & SE please!!??
Gimpeyhand

Post by Gimpeyhand »

I ve started to write this 4 times and have had to delete it as no one knife is perfect for all situations but I ve got a favorite for certain tasks or locations I happen to be. I do have 5 Spyderco s I use the most.1) I use my Endura Zdp 189 the most in the kitchen, what an edge and an incredible slicer. 2) My Native 5 S35vn is a great little cutter, just feels so solid and is very people friendly. 3) My much loved Pacific s H1, man I can t say enough good about this blade. I live in Vancouver and it has seen a lot of salt water in the summer, just awesome. 4) My Titanium UKPK, this is my travel knife to the USA as I live in Canada ( Washington and Oregon county s/cities have lots of small knife laws so I m safe with the UKPK ). 5) My well used S30 V black G10 Military. All these other knives I have 2 of each model, a user and a back up in case of loss. The Military though, I ve bought four of the same model so far. One to my dad, one to my wife and two for me ( Titanium is on the want list ). It just does everything well, and I rest a little easier Knowing that they both have a largish capable blade when biking or cross country skiing in BC s cougar country. I guess on that it is my favorite as I only give gifts that I would like to receive, and Military s are the knives I ve chosen to give. But any day you get given a Spyderco is a good day :)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I'm thinking this question is too open. Favourite edc, fav. work knife, hunting, fishing, camping, just plain showing off, etc... I'm going with edc right now. My new Brous Bionic. Probably in part because it's new, mostly because I put a lot of time into thinking about what I NEEDED, and what I WANTED in an edc. Needed to be small enough to not raise eyebrows but still large enough to handle MY edc tasks. My Silent soldier flipper is about the right size but still raises brows. My Techno was my usual edc but proved a bit short for things like cutting fruit for example and a bit thick for such tasks too. I like my CRK Insingo but my winter jacket likes to catch and pull it out of my pocket. Also it's not as much fun to flick open. So I needed/wanted a smallish folder that wasn't overly intimidating, but still capable and was fun to play with. I also want it durable and with a decent steel. I think most of us on here could go on for hours about what we like about each of our knives...oh wait we do! That's what these forums are all about! Any ways this is what makes a knife my "favourite". Today...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderg wrote:I'm thinking this question is too open. Favourite edc, fav. work knife, hunting, fishing, camping, just plain showing off, etc...
What you just said there really stole my thunder because truly I don't have any ONE FAVORITE>> I have so many blades for so many purposes and it would just be for that job in many instances.

I have a set of Spyders for my outdoor ventures, Kitchen duties, and all kinds of work folders and fixed blades>> so my favorite at that instance is what works the best for that particular job..
acer

Post by acer »

So many factors, but a few important ones to me , Handle comfort , weight and balance , does it fit my hand ,will it cut what I want it 2 intended purpose, can I easily sharpen it, good trustworthy lock, popular proven models ie good reviews, does it fit my budget , and of cause does it look the part . Having fun .Acer.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Deacon wrote:Ergonomics, the way it fits my hand. The original Stretch wasn't Spyderco's best looking knife by a long shot, and I still think it would look better with either a straight spined "Military" style blade or a "splinter picker" PE Dyad style one, but the way it fit my hand made me a fan for life. But esthetics do enter into it too. The original bolster and scales Kiwi combines both, it's functional jewelry that doesn't sacrifice function.
This is what appeals to me about the Manix. It fits my hand very comfortably. Also the ease of one-handed operation. As for the stretch, I feel the same way about the blade shape, but I think I'm going to like the new one a little better in that regard, and I think it'll fit my hand better too.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JD Spydo wrote:The BM Phil Boguszewski Spike model I made mention of in my prior post is a very functional blade with it's extreme spear point and full flat grind. It is so versatile and is still in my EDC rotation>> but the Spyderco C-50 Centofante PE & SE would be my pick over the Boguszewski model because of it's G-10 handle and a blade just a tad bit longer which I find to also be handy.

Function is what ultimately drove me to Hawkbill Fanaticism :rolleyes: >> Function showed me the utilitarian uses of the NATIVE model that I at one time didn't really like a whole lot>> BUT I DO NOW!! especially in Spyderedge :cool:

My ultimate EDC king the C-60 Ayoob has so many viable functions it's capable of that I'm surprised it didn't become a permanent fixture in the main line up. Anyone who would try an Ayoob would be sold I'm 99% certain.

Function is what's driving this current Ladybug Hawkbill craze that is just sweeping Spyderville by storm.

Even Spyderco's recurves and Reverse S models have distinct functions.
Have you ever handled the Szabo. It reminds me of the Ayoob, but has an inch longer blade. The upswept tip is probably not as functional, but with that extra inch, there's probably about as much useful belly as the Ayoob. Just idle curiosity, I would probably never buy a Szabo.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
BTG

Post by BTG »

When analyzing all my spydies (71) I noticed one thing, only one wire clip...translucent blue Manix, and I only bought that to put aftermarket scales on(cheaper) when it came was surprised to find you can't remove scales, and wire clip..unlike its G-10 siblings...once had a Cat-10 ..gave that one to a friend, who has since caught the bug. So I guess ergo's, blade steel, size are big factors, but there are deal breakers for knives you otherwise might like...just starting to like spyderedged knives and looking at more of those.