Murray Carter's sharpening DVD's or downloads???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Murray Carter's sharpening DVD's or downloads???

Post by jackknifeh »

Anyone watched Murray Carter's sharpening DVD's? They are normally $35 each but I just found digital downloads of the DVD's for $25. I'd like to have the first one I think. Maybe the advanced one also but it seems to cover stuff I don't think I have much interest in. Not sure about that though.

Has anyone watched them? If so, what did you think? Are they more or less for beginners or is there info on there that is for someone who already has the basics? I have the basics pretty much down but I'm sure Murray has tons of knowledge I don't know anything about. But, is that knowledge on the videos?

Jack
SpyderNut

Re: Murray Carter's sharpening DVD's or downloads???

Post by SpyderNut »

Not sure about his DVD's, but his book is very informative. I had his book in my hand today at Barnes and Noble and just about took it home with me. Anyway, I'll have to check the DVD's out. He appears to be very knowledgeable and down-to-earth in his approach to knifemaking.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SpyderNut wrote:Not sure about his DVD's, but his book is very informative. I had his book in my hand today at Barnes and Noble and just about took it home with me. Anyway, I'll have to check the DVD's out. He appears to be very knowledgeable and down-to-earth in his approach to knifemaking.
I looked at "cartercutlery.com" and pasted this about Murray Carter. His training and experience is what makes me interested in his teaching products. Three or four years ago I saw that he has knife sharpening and making classes. I looked into it and when I saw the cost I stopped looking into it. :) I'm sure the classes are worth the money but I'm too old and definately financially strapped for something like that. In addition to the classes you'd also need to buy the equipment to put the knowledge to work. Not to mention another room to the house if you don't have have a vacant one already. :(

From "cartercutlery.com" about Murray Carter.
Like many North American boys, I have been fascinated with knives and things that go 'cut' since my early childhood. As fate would have it, I ended up in Japan at the age of 18 where I fell into an apprenticeship with a 16th generation Yoshimoto bladesmith that lasted six years. Upon completion of that fortunate tutelage, I was asked to take the position of number seventeen in the Sakemoto family tradition of Yoshimoto bladesmithing. I believe I am the only Caucasian ever to have had the honor and privilege of this position.

I continued forging blades in Japan for twelve more years and in June 2001, I was awarded the rating of Mastersmith by the American Bladesmith Society, thus proving a degree of competency by Western standards. In 2005 I moved to the United States and have continued forging blades in Oregon since then. To date I have personally completed over 19,000 knives, the majority of which were one-of-a-kind pieces consistent with the kind of work done by old-world artisans.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

Yes, I have both of his recent books from the past couple of years.

I haven't gotten around to getting his videos, he does have a Youtube channel too.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

GCG199 wrote:Yes, I have both of his recent books from the past couple of years.

I haven't gotten around to getting his videos, he does have a Youtube channel too.
I've often wondered about the videos people put up on youtube and also sell DVD's of their skill or lessons. If I were doing it I'd probably put enough on youtube for free to get people interested enough to buy the DVD's. Youtube would be advertisement. OTOH, other people may not be as greedy as me. :)

Another thing to consider is the knowledge of people like Mr. Carter CAN'T be put into a lesson. Some of it has to be learned through experience. We can all be taught and repeat how to swim. But learning to actually do it requires getting wet.

Jack