Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Probably not a 3.75 as I beleive that would be close to the original Calypso which proved to be too large for most. We've discussed a 2.5, but I not seen anything materialize since presented.

sal
I am certainly will be interesting in Caly 2.5
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The calypso was a totally different knife with no similarity to the the Caly. I owned a Calypso for a whileand while in my collection I always said it took the place of the Police and the Endura which were more similar to the Calypso. The 3.75 would be the absolute perfect knife if it retained the same lines as the 3.5. I don't think the Calypso and Caly 3.5 should even be referenced as coming from the same family.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I just have the Super Blue Caly 3 and the CF ZDP 3.5, and I'd like to have each of them in the other size as well, especially the SB 3.5, though I really like the slightly thinner CF handles. I thought I was doing OK without the VG-10 models, but now you guys have got me wanting one of them too :rolleyes:

I would love a 2.5, with a handle very similar to that of the 3, and preferably in foliage green or khaki G-10 :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
The softness of the 420J2 steel is my only concern with the CF version. Well, that and the higher cost over the standard model.
This too. Also imho these are two different knives. Vg10 is much better all around knife. If you fine, razor edge, than no problem. If you want toothy edge , than no problem either. Scales are not expensive. I am not a fun of polished cf, not fan of uneven laminated lines. G10 vg 10 caly3.5 is almost perfect for me. 2 mm blade would be icing on the cake
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bh49 wrote:This too. Also imho these are two different knives. Vg10 is much better all around knife. If you fine, razor edge, than no problem. If you want toothy edge , than no problem either. Scales are not expensive. I am not a fun of polished cf, not fan of uneven laminated lines. G10 vg 10 caly3.5 is almost perfect for me. 2 mm blade would be icing on the cake
Yup, don't fix it if it ain't broke, right? The G10 version with VG10 steel was a perfect combination, that's why I fear the worst for the Caly line. Seems all we'll have available in coming years are potential sprints/exclusives. Better get those first or backup Caly 3.5's now before they jump way up in price as the stock at most standard dealers at the $100-$110ish mark becomes depleted (by us forumites! ;) ). Cheers, Radioactive :)

P.S. Roman, I sent you an email to your SBC account, did you get it? Thx!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
P.S. Roman, I sent you an email to your SBC account, did you get it? Thx!
Sorry, I am out of country and have problem to access this account. Can you, please send me pm.
thanks,
Roman
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
sal wrote:Probably not a 3.75 as I beleive that would be close to the original Calypso which proved to be too large for most. We've discussed a 2.5, but I not seen anything materialize since presented.

sal
I am certainly will be interesting in Caly 2.5
Absolutely! Count me in on a 2.5 Caly. I was *this close* to buying a new Caly 3 about a week ago, but decided it was just a little too long for what I need in a daily carry blade. A 2.5 would hit the sweet spot for me. How can we get more momentum behind this venture?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Seems like the g10 dragonfly is very close to a caly 2.25. I know it isn't exactly the same but it is similar. Maybe this is why the idea of a caly 2.5 hasn't gained traction. I'm not saying I am against the idea but just thinking outloud.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Seems like the g10 dragonfly is very close to a caly 2.25. I know it isn't exactly the same but it is similar. Maybe this is why the idea of a caly 2.5 hasn't gained traction. I'm not saying I am against the idea but just thinking outloud.
I think in most respects that a knife in the 2.5" range is better suited to FRN. There are exceptions, and I do love the Chaparral series and G10 Dragonfly, but having said that I'd sooner see a sprint run of the Caly Jr. than a Caly 2.5 because I think it's a better fit. I prefer my Jr. to either my 3 or 3.5 in every way.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have always thought of the urban as the mini caly, and am looking forward to the frn version. My question is really whether or not we'll see a UKPK 3.5, or if the laws make that an unlikely ambassador for American steels abroad and at home. I've always wondered how far they pushed the dual spring technology too. I think with the direction that was going, a light-use, moderately-thin 3.5 would be a dream for kitchen work away from home.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Seems like the g10 dragonfly is very close to a caly 2.25. I know it isn't exactly the same but it is similar. Maybe this is why the idea of a caly 2.5 hasn't gained traction. I'm not saying I am against the idea but just thinking outloud.
I think in most respects that a knife in the 2.5" range is better suited to FRN. There are exceptions, and I do love the Chaparral series and G10 Dragonfly, but having said that I'd sooner see a sprint run of the Caly Jr. than a Caly 2.5 because I think it's a better fit. I prefer my Jr. to either my 3 or 3.5 in every way.
I agree with both of you. BFK, the G-10 dragonfly is what comes to mind when I try to imagine a Caly 2.25 or similar. In fact I usually step from my Caly 3 to the G-10 Dragonfly when I need a smaller LFP carry. Rigger is so inline with my thinking that if we are going to entertain a smaller Caly, it should be a Caly Jr like knife in FRN, linerless, hopefully fish scale texture, Superblue of we are lucky!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Seems like the g10 dragonfly is very close to a caly 2.25.
May be close, but not close enouh for me. I had couple of dragonflies. I gave away one and sold second. I strongly prefer no swedge and love liners. I would take Kopa over Dragonfly. Still Caly 2.5 will be great for me. I will be able easily remove a clip and it became a perfect knife for watch pocket. Also 2mm thick blade is a must.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
I agree with both of you. BFK, the G-10 dragonfly is what comes to mind when I try to imagine a Caly 2.25 or similar. In fact I usually step from my Caly 3 to the G-10 Dragonfly when I need a smaller LFP carry. Rigger is so inline with my thinking that if we are going to entertain a smaller Caly, it should be a Caly Jr like knife in FRN, linerless, hopefully fish scale texture, Superblue of we are lucky!
Just a couple more thoughts on this: I'm all for bringing back the Caly Jr in FRN and even a 2.5 version, but I've never held one, so I don't know how the ergos compare to the Caly. It seems like a very appealing knife.

I'd like to see the Kopa brought back too, though I've never seen one in real life. It looks like a fair facsimile of a Caly 2.5, and I'd like to see it with a working knife G-10 option as well as its usual role as an artist's canvas.

But I'd like to see a new Caly 2.5 as well. The Cat is surprisingly like a Caly 2.5 with a liner lock, and it is surprisingly comfortable, ergonomic and useful in full 4-finger grip and behind the choil 3-finger grip. For me, a Caly 2.5 would occupy the same niche, only with its totally ambidextrous backlock. Also, I've come to love my Caly knives and would love for them to have a similar little mate :)

Edit: I missed your post, Roman, so I'm splicing it in here -- it seems to fit :D
bh49 wrote:May be close, but not close enouh for me. I had couple of dragonflies. I gave away one and sold second. I strongly prefer no swedge and love liners. I would take Kopa over Dragonfly. Still Caly 2.5 will be great for me. I will be able easily remove a clip and it became a perfect knife for watch pocket. Also 2mm thick blade is a must.
I also love the Dragonfly and have 3 of them, but for my hands, the Cat/Caly ergos make a much more useful working grip.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DougC-3 wrote: I'm all for bringing back the Caly Jr in FRN and even a 2.5 version, but I've never held one, so I don't know how the ergos compare to the Caly. It seems like a very appealing knife.
I used to have couple of Caly Jr. I never carried them, mosty due to only tip down option. Also swedge and no liners. I love my kopas, but they take too much room in my watch pocket because I cannot remove a clip. Clipless Kopa would be great, but I already gave up to see one during my lifetime.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Still looking to snag one of these for about $100. I'm usually a FRN guy but the Caly calls to me. If anyone sees a good deal be sure to speak up!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Someone bought them all from SFO before I could place an order. They went fast.
dgebler

WTF @#(($&()%&#$)(!*#)@*$)*_!*#$

Post by dgebler »

Man this can't be true. I was shocked to see this on the discontinued list...really...am I still groggy...no way.

As one other poster said, this is one of the knives I rotate out when I get something new I think is more exciting for one reason or another but keep coming back to the Caly. I can't think of anything my $300+ slysz bowie can do better than my Caly, and such a tight package.

Well, looks like I need to move fast, I modified my only Caly 3.5 (which I love, the best office edc ever) and I always thought if I ever needed to I could grab another factory G-10

Sad, Sad Day for Spyderco AFI's!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Hopsbreath wrote:Still looking to snag one of these for about $100. I'm usually a FRN guy but the Caly calls to me. If anyone sees a good deal be sure to speak up!
$100 is a little low for nib from reputable dealer, so keep your eyes open on secondary market. Lightly used is also a good option. I bought one a little while ago for only $68. But be careful not to get fake.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Hopsbreath wrote:Still looking to snag one of these for about $100. I'm usually a FRN guy but the Caly calls to me. If anyone sees a good deal be sure to speak up!
Good luck on that. ;) I got one for that but it was a Black Friday special from National Knives. Expect to pay $120-130 for a genuine copy from a reputable dealer. If you buy somewhere else, there is the risk of being burned with a fake. Knife Center is already out of stock. GPK has them in stock. The cheapest I see right now is Knives Plus for $115.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, I was reading this thread again and freaking out because supplies of these are starting to run dry fast (even faster than I expected). So I just snagged a new one from United Outdoors on eBay for $108, not really a great time financially to be buying a backup right now, but I didn't want to miss the boat.

There are several reputable dealers who operate on the bay (like supreme solution and robbob8/National Knives), whom I've bought many legit Spydies at a very reasonable cost. It seems eBay is the only place left to pick one up for less than $110 from the few legit dealers still selling them.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King