CPM 10V - What would the next Model be?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would the next Model be using CPM 10V?

Military
27%
Para 2
27%
Native 5
9%
Manix 2
13%
Gayle Bradly
10%
Other - Post in thread
14%

Total votes: 86

KevinOubre

Re: CPM 10V - What would the next Model be?

Post by KevinOubre »

I have to be boring and vote para2. Its just such a **** fine design.
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

I would have voted for all of them just because I like them all. I was sorely tempted to vote for the Military and Para Military but went with the Native 5 and "Other" because my completely unscientific, emotional, gut feeling, without real world testing, and with a bit of late night reading, was telling me the Native 5 profile might be more appropriate for CPM 10V. I'm wrong very often, and don't think there really would be a wrong answer here. I chose "Other" because I like Stuart's proposal of a fixed blade. Mike
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike157 wrote:I would have voted for all of them just because I like them all. I was sorely tempted to vote for the Military and Para Military but went with the Native 5 and "Other" because my completely unscientific, emotional, gut feeling, without real world testing, and with a bit of late night reading, was telling me the Native 5 profile might be more appropriate for CPM 10V. I'm wrong very often, and don't think there really would be a wrong answer here. I chose "Other" because I like Stuart's proposal of a fixed blade. Mike
There aren't any wrong answers here, it's what YOU like. :spyder:

Sal will be watching this thread.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would also like to see 10V in the XL Manix.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sweet. Amazing to see all the other votes for the GB. Let's not re-tally...where's the "Go Button"? ;) :p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I didn't vote with the idea of which model would be the best platform for the steel but rather voted for the two models I like the most. Nothing seems to be able to knock the military or para2 from my pocket for very long. If anything is gonna pry my wallet open it would be 10v in one of those two models. They are the only two that I have multiples of currently that are options for this steel.

I wouldn't mind a Sage2 either. :confused: Of all the Taichung knives the Sage series just really grabs me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

MacLaren wrote:I would also like to see 10V in the XL Manix.
That sounds like a great model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I agree that a fixed blade would be a good addition. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Millie or PM2 for me. I purchased a K2 excited to try 10V, but the handle ergos just didn't meld with my hand and I found it fairly uncomfortable. I had it out side by side with my Military just to better appreciate why I like its handle so much. Now slap a 10V blade into a G10/titanium frame like the M4 version previously (maybe a nice colored G10 scale?) so we can really pound on that Ti RIL. A PM2 would be great too, can't have enough of those! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

South Fork or that hypothetical Phil Wilson bird and trout.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I voted for the Millie and didn't notice the 2nd choice option until too late. I would have voted PM2 or Manix2 as a second choice, but after reading the other posts, I think the Manix XL would be a great choice. I just think this steel calls for a lot of blade. Likewise, the Endura would be a great choice as Laethageal said, but since the steel is made in the US, I doubt that we'll ever see it in the Endura series.

I think the GB would be a good knife for the steel, but I'd have to reject it as well as the RIL Millie because they are so totally right handed, which I ain't ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

DougC-3 wrote:I just think this steel calls for a lot of blade.
I wonder what makes you say this? I actually think the opposite. To me, the harder and more wear resistant, the less blade you really need. Ankerson got quite the amount of cutting done, and he was actually being careful to only use one part of the blade. I would think you'd want tough/somewhat less wear resistant in a large blade, and hard/very wear resistant in a small blade. The large blade gives you more edge, which will extend its life (assuming you use the whole edge). The small blade doesn't give you much edge, but the edge you do have is long wearing. Also, the small size makes you less tempted to do non-knifey things with it.

This is my feeling on it, but I might be off-base, so I'm interested to know why you feel the opposite.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

tvenuto wrote:
I wonder what makes you say this? I actually think the opposite. To me, the harder and more wear resistant, the less blade you really need. Ankerson got quite the amount of cutting done, and he was actually being careful to only use one part of the blade. I would think you'd want tough/somewhat less wear resistant in a large blade, and hard/very wear resistant in a small blade. The large blade gives you more edge, which will extend its life (assuming you use the whole edge). The small blade doesn't give you much edge, but the edge you do have is long wearing. Also, the small size makes you less tempted to do non-knifey things with it.

This is my feeling on it, but I might be off-base, so I'm interested to know why you feel the opposite.

I use about 2" to 3" of the cutting edge usually depending on the blade.

The reason why I like the blades to have 3" + of usable cutting edge and or in the 4" range ideally.

The Military is about ideal really.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

My votes go for the Military, my favorite model, and the GB just because this knife is so good it deserves such a nice steel option.
Last edited by nirvanero on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

tvenuto wrote:

Really I hadn't thought it out as carefully as you. I was just picturing a larger blade getting harder use and being subjected to more stress and wear and a smaller blade doing lighter work. I can see how the opposite could be true, especially with regards to the need for toughness. I suppose it all depends on what sort of work you plan to do with either and whether you need to depend on a smaller blade for convenience or other reasons. Frankly, I'm pretty new to this hobby and still have much to learn about steels.
deskil

Post by deskil »

Sprint Endura 4 in maroon or burgundy FRCP, so people of modest means can experience this high performance steel on an iconic and solid (but lightweight) platform. The Stretch would be my second choice, for the same reasons.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I already voted but lets keep up the affordable super steel trend. Native5 LW or Manix2 LW ?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

An affordable Manix2 LW is an interesting proposition.

I also liked the idea of a scaled down K2.

I think I'd prefer a Military, but since the K2 is already such a big knife I think it would be fair to downsize to a Para2 so more people can enjoy the steel.

Then again the Para2 tends to sell out in hours.

It's a tough choice. The Manix2 XL doesn't cause feeding frenzy, but again, it's a bigger knife.

Maybe a mule ?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

MiLLie

Second choice would be the Manix XL..

The K2 is a big knife and that's the the only problem with it..over 4 inches is a problem in a some of places..its something to think about whenever going out..great knife otherwise..

Has a dark green G10 Millie been done?

For a smaller knife a 10V Delica would be cool..