3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in the end

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dbcad wrote:I just have a problem of trying to focus on why I don't quite like or enjoy something :) Every :spyder: I've owned and parted with has had a positive feedback in some way ;)

No disrespect, but the theme of the thread disagrees. Much more gratifying to focus on the positive than to pick at the negative :eek:
Well, I think it helps to talk about stuff like this, because you can't just have constant blind positivity all the time about everything. At some point it's going to help someone when you start pointing out "flaws" in something. This kind of talk may save someone from buyer's remorse down the road. Heck, on a bigger scale this kind of talk could even lead to Spyderco taking notice and doing some CQI on something if an issue is mentioned enough times. It may seem negative to focus on things you don't like but it can often lead to more positive things. And really lets face it, if a casual browser of this forum came here and never saw a thread like this, they would think every model in the catalog was absolutely perfect for them because there must be a thread for nearly every knife singing its praises. That can lead to a lot of disappointed people.
KrisOK wrote:1. Yojumbo 2 Pinches my hand every time I open it with the spydie hole. I have over a dozen other spydies with a compression lock, and this is the only one that does it.
Don't know if you still own the Yo 2, but you may wanna look into modding the lock cutout like I have. It doesn't 100% fix the issue, but I can say it definitely cut it down a LOT. I think once I modded it, the issue became more about finger placement, because I get pinched about as often as I do from my Para 2 now, which is very rare anymore. Pics can be seen at the end of the first post here http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =yojimbo+2
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
WMR

Post by WMR »

The only Spyderco that I wish I had not gotten is the Nilakka. It just doesn't feel good in my hand. I keep it as a possible future project for a scale modification.
The Junior is my second least favorite. Again, it doesn't feel right. I may gift it to some young person some day.
I keep the Military because of its great reputation. I would want it if I was going camping in the woods but for everyday use, I find it too big., so it is #3.

It is more enjoyable to talk about favorites, but there are so many more than three!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

glbpro wrote:Point taken and point of view appreciated :) As I said in my initial post, this thread is not about criticising individual designs or models, but more a catalog of our individual reactions to those designs. I believe that all Spyderco knives are well designed, otherwise they would not have made it through the company's quality control procedures. However, everybody has different needs, preferences and physiognomy and as such no one design will accommodate everybody.

If you look through the posts I believe there is much positive to balance the negative, such is the capacity of this forum for frank and open discussion.
I hear you Glbpro :) Approaches to curious investigation differ as do knife preferences, hand dimensions, etc. :eek: We're all good :)

"Well, I think it helps to talk about stuff like this, because you can't just have constant blind positivity all the time about everything. At some point it's going to help someone when you start pointing out "flaws" in something. This kind of talk may save someone from buyer's remorse down the road. Heck, on a bigger scale this kind of talk could even lead to Spyderco taking notice and doing some CQI on something if an issue is mentioned enough. It may seem negative to focus on things you don't like but it can often lead to more positive things. And really lets face it, if a casual browser of this forum came here and never saw a thread like this, they would think every model in the catalog was absolutely perfect for them because there must be a thread for nearly every knife singing its praises. That can lead to a lot of disappointed people. "

Not advocating Blind positivity about everything David :) Blindness is not a good thing ;)

Appreciate the integrity of this thread, just have a hard time wrapping my head around focusing on how I did not like any of the models I've had.

I've liked all of them :D Some weren't perfect for me and gifted, others sold, but all of my spydercos have been great :D

I think some folks have been spoiled :eek:
Attachments
pingo.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I don't think many people are saying they absolutely loathed any particular knife here, yes we're focusing more on what we didn't like, but that's just because that's what the subject is right? That was the question and so that's the answers we're seeing. Like this, I can tell you I love everything about the Delica except for those dang points on the grip. But, in the end that was a big enough issue that I don't own one anymore. The Junior, if the handle was just long enough I most likely would be carrying one today because I love the rest of it and I think I could even live with the upswept tip. The Native 5, I don't think I have any dislike about that knife at all...for what it is, it's **** near perfect, but my tastes have evolved away from that style of knife, although I do have a special love for Spydercos that don't have any thumb ramp at all.

So yeah, in the end, I have definitely been spoiled. But ya know, for what we pay for our knives, is that really a bad thing?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

We've both been spoiled :eek: I've been forced by circumstance to walk back a bit, There's always something to be appreciated and enjoyed if you look for it, especially in Spyderco knives ;) Makes no sense to complain :confused:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
juggler

Post by juggler »

_ Dodo : intriguing knife, beautiful in its own peculiar way, very ergonomic... but too specialized for my taste. I sometimes regret having sold the Dodo, but I know I wouldn't have used it much.

_ Sage 3 : loved the leaf-shaped blade, the smoothness of the Bolt lock and the color (that many apparently disliked). But the handle was just a bit too short for a comfortable grip. Such a pity.

_ Kopa : very elegant LBK (I had the pearl/ abalone version); my bad for not seeing this one was so lefty-unfriendly... and that removing the clip was not really an option.

No regrets, though : those helped me learn a lot about what I like/dislike/want/need in a knife, and in the end they helped me find the ones I now have... and will keep.
WMR

Re: 3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in t

Post by WMR »

Back in February, I took a shot at the Nilakka saying it was the number one Spyderco that I wished I had not bought. The sharp edges on the scales were just not comfortable. I finally replaced the scales with a pair I made from Teak wood. I also removed the clip as I almost never use the clips. I screwed a small piece of teak to the end where the clip had been attached and rounded off everything with edges. Now the Nilakka has gone from most hated to most loved. It is a great cutting tool. Its full flat grind is one of my sharpest. I will try to add a picture here.
Attachments
Nilakka 006.JPG
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Native5
Dodo
Lava (I had to wharnify mine)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

1. Manix lw bd1- I actually liked the steel just fine but couldn't warm up to the look and feel of the frcp handle.
2. Dodo- I REALLY wanted to like this one. I actually found the blade quite interesting and useful but the handle ergonomics simply did not work for me.
3. Techno- haven't owned it but I have handled it numerous times and each time I handle it I am positive that it just doesn't fit my hand. But after a few weeks I'll find myself wondering if I might like it. I actually want to look at one again when I'm in the states next! Haha
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

D Fly.. Tried 2..
Salsa.. No a fan of the compression lock
Southard.. Cant put my finger on why I did not like it.. Just dont..

I could add a few more.. BUT... John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Techno: I know everyone will think I'm knuts for this one (it's OK; I am). I love titanium and love the general design and build quality. I didn't love the too-short handle or the insanely-strong Lou Ferrigno detent (at least on the unit I received ... and returned).

Native5: OK, I do like this one. I just don't love it. I don't like how the hole is partially obscured by the handle scale, and quite frankly the F&F on the new Native5 FRNs is a joke. Buying a Golden, CO Spyderco and wishing it were made in Taiwan instead makes me sad. And I know I'm not alone in this, as I've talked with two other people who feel the same way.

Sage*: No lanyard hole, no love. I really want one of these, but I really like lanyards on my knives.

Balance: This thing was a joke. And not a good joke.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

After reading the first post I started thinking and couldn't come up with one model I disliked. One knife that came to mind was the Delica. I've had 2 or 3 of them and have sold or traded them. Not because I didn't like them. They are great knives. I just had other knives I always seemed to put in my pocket instead of a Delica.

But as I read the responses someone mentioned the Native. Then I remembered it. I got that knife and found I actually didn't like it. The main reason is it didn't feel good in my hand. The finger choil and rest of the handle just seemed to be a bit off. For my hand I mean. There is another thing about this knife I HATE but is easily corrected. The jimping. Might as well stick a few razor blades in the spine to provide traction. I had to round the corners down on every "jimp". Once that was done I actually like jimping with wider grooves. I like the jimping on the Techno.

So I can only come up with one knife I disliked. Some I sold or traded were likes less than others but none were disliked.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sage 4: not a fan of the weight and prefer the delica and clay 3 for 3 once blades
Techno: blade is far to thick. Might reconsider in the future and get it reground thinner :D
Mule Teams: Ergos (specifically the thumb ramp) do not fit well for me. I will still buy another if the steel is worth it though
Salsa: I wanted to like this knife soooooo much but the detent and the height ruined it for me unfortunately
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

1.) Manix with a FFG. I wanted to love it, I wanted one for a long time, but it just doesn't do it for me.

2. Caly 3.5 I thought it would be like a bigger, more capable Delica. It is a bigger but not really more capable Delica in my opinion and I am probably going to sell it.

3.) Super Blue Stretch- I wanted a Stretch for so long and I wanted to try Super Blue steel. But now that I have it, I just don't need it. I won't carry it that much and therefore I should sell it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Manix,Persian,Native
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The one that I tried the hardest on was the Superleaf. It was in my mind Spyderco's true hard use knife, and probably is, but this was pre-Tuff. The choil was right in the sweet spot for cutting and it was a pocket hog. It is as close to a Strider as Spyderco had made at that moment but just was not for me.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

1 UKPK. Having owned the awesome Urban, I thought the UKPK would be a better US made version but the added size threw the ergos off for me. The spring was much stiffer too making it almost a 2 hand open. Orange G10 looked good tho.

2 Moonglow Native 5. Looked awesome but was too chunky and square for such a small knife.

3 Pingo. There is a lot I like about this knife but I don't want linerless frn. This one needs G10 scales like the urban...
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Leafstorm: Great knife, but the Techno and C22 CF Walker are just better for me. Will probably never use it.

Dayhiker: Blade shape not the most usable and the handle was longer than needed. Decent skinner, but it fell between sizes I use for fixed blades so I traded. Great fit and finish and loved the micarta.

Large Persian: Beautiful knife (red G10 sprint), bit heavy and I preferred the C42 Viele as my larger dressy knife. After adoring it for a while I traded it. Still have and love the small Persian (black micarta)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

PM2 - bought it on the copious amount of hype. Couldn't really get into the blade:handle ratio, as the handle was bigger than I needed. Sold it after a year; we had some good times but ultimately it wasn't what I was looking for even though it did the job.

On the flip side, I had initially dismissed the Techno for its chunky stubbiness. After seeing some comparison and in-hand photos, I took a stab and it turned out to be more along the lines of what I'm aiming for. The Taichung F&F just put it way over the top.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only two for me.

The first was the C67 "R", and more specifically the R2 version. I loved the look, and tried really hard to like the knife, but my thumb could never comfortably follow the arc required to open it. I went so far as to have one modded to give its handle a more "Stretch - Rescue" like grip area profile thinking that might held, but it didn't.

The other was the Schempp Persian, a truly sad case since the only thing wrong with this beautiful, comfortable knife is what has to be either Spyderco's absolute worst implementation of the Boye dent, or the only one that actually works. On every one of the half dozen or so I own, the "dented" area of the lockbar has to be depressed below the lock well cutouts before the blade releases. Makes it difficult to close the knife on a good day, painful on one when my hands are really aching.

The good news, for me, is that the Stretch is easy to open, easy to close, has a blade of the same length and thickness, and takes up less pocket space.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!