Has anyone ever Stretched an Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Has anyone ever Stretched an Endura?

Post by spyderHS08 »

Hey guys,

I have been playing with my frn stretch all night tonight and I just love the handle shape size etc, and over all length of the knife. However I prefer the endura style blade. It looks like it would be quite possible to grind an endura blade down about 1/4-1/2 of an inch to fit into the stretch handle nicely and I was just wondering if any of you have ever done this or seen it done anywhere? I think it would be a heck of a mod, or production for that matter. I do notice that the stretches blade is wider or "taller" near the pivot so this may cause a couple issues to making my fantasy come true lol. I think this would be a nice knife To fill that endura delica gap with this perfect shaped handle yet standard style blade. anyway just thought id share my thoughts of the night! :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's an intriguing idea, but I'd bet heavily against it working. I haven't had either apart, but from looking at the assembled knives, the tangs appear to be just too different. It would probably be easier to find someone to make a new blade for a Stretch like the one in this mock-up...
... or to cut a 50/50 choil in an Endura blade, trim it down to 3.5", and build a more "Stretch-like" handle for it.

But, the more I think about it, the simplest solution might be to hunt up a C67GF Nishijin "R", as they'd be fairly close to what you're after.

Or, you could just wait and hope that the "Stretch with an alternate blade shape" concept that's been tossed around for a while materializes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
paladin

Re:

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:
But, the more I think about it, the simplest solution might be to hunt up a C67GF Nishijin "R", as they'd be fairly close to what you're after.
best solution here ^^^^^

A Rookie or Police model would partially fill the bill minus the choil & Stretch like handle, of course :o
cckw

Re: Has anyone ever Stretched an Endura?

Post by cckw »

The Nish R was/is an under appreciated knife. I had one because I used to buy every single sprint no matter what. I thought it was a great knife for those who like the traditional Spyderco design style. But there was no excitement around that sprint. At least half the sprints go up in price pretty soon after they are sold out. Nish R didn't. I no longer have mine, but my point is you can find one at a good price and have a great knife.