Kershaw Emerson Knives: New

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:Well of course the Emerson crowd turns their nose up, they have the elite real McCoy ;)
Keep in mind these are people that would take a bullet for Ernie. They have OBS tats. On their bodies. Permanently. They bought them to support the brand and I heard rumblings of blade play and wobbly clips. Keep in mind these folks know that real Emersons even require trips back to their mothership right out of a brand new box to get right.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

twinboysdad wrote:Keep in mind these are people that would take a bullet for Ernie. They have OBS tats. On their bodies. Permanently. They bought them to support the brand and I heard rumblings of blade play and wobbly clips. Keep in mind these folks know that real Emersons even require trips back to their mothership right out of a brand new box to get right.
Nice profiling I don't fit your description and I am sure not everyone who owns an Emerson does. A little insulting don't you think?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

DRKBC,

If you read my original post, before the one you quoted, you will see I am referencing the USN forum and the guys that are members of the OBS. I never meant everyone that owns an Emerson fits the category I mentioned. If you are not a USN member I can only tell you that Emerson brand loyalty runs close to cult status there. So yes, USN has some fanatical Emerson enthusiast, yes there is The Order of the Black Shamrock that an oath is required to join and it is Emerson based. So coming from an opinion that is based on my USN membership, no-I don't think I am insulting anyone. Those guys would take a bullet for EE. And they seem quite ok with sending a brand new knife back to CA for a spa treatment.

IF you were still offended by my statement, AFTER reading my explanation, then I apologize. I do not mean to offend. To quote Ernest Emerson himself, "it's just a knife" ;)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

twinboysdad wrote:DRKBC,

If you read my original post, before the one you quoted, you will see I am referencing the USN forum and the guys that are members of the OBS. I never meant everyone that owns an Emerson fits the category I mentioned. If you are not a USN member I can only tell you that Emerson brand loyalty runs close to cult status there. So yes, USN has some fanatical Emerson enthusiast, yes there is The Order of the Black Shamrock that an oath is required to join and it is Emerson based. So coming from an opinion that is based on my USN membership, no-I don't think I am insulting anyone. Those guys would take a bullet for EE. And they seem quite ok with sending a brand new knife back to CA for a spa treatment.

IF you were still offended by my statement, AFTER reading my explanation, then I apologize. I do not mean to offend. To quote Ernest Emerson himself, "it's just a knife" ;)
I'm sure it came across harsher than you meant, I know its just a knife I just feel it's better to talk about just the knife rather than taking about the people who own them. Anyway lets put that behind us.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I picked up one of the CQC-6Ks too.

I don't care for a lot of the usual features on Emersons, but they got this import line just right.

I do like the ergonomics on most of the Emerson knives, but I don't care for the chisel grinds or chisel edges.

(Well, not counting the too short screw problems in switching the pocket clips to the left side.)

Edited to add:

Only one of these, the CQC-8K is the chisel-ground Tanto.

(Sorry if I confused anyone with my previous mistake.)

I plan on getting a CQC-4K too later on with some of the other new Kershaw import line.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So out of respect for this forum and DRKBC, I went back to the brick and mortar and handled about 4 of these. Emerson/Kershaw preconceptions off the table, these are good value for the price point. None I handled had any noticeable flaws, blade play, ect. These are a bunch that are true pocket knives too, about the size of a Case Stockman. Thinner than a Delica. The framelock models are nicer than the linerlocks, IMO. Also, these are sharpened on both sides. Again, not my cup of tea but if you buy one for a knife abuser it should last as long as anything else sub $50. I know I reported hearing of flaws, but none I handled had anything that would stop me from buying one
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

twinboysdad wrote:So out of respect for this forum and DRKBC, I went back to the brick and mortar and handled about 4 of these. Emerson/Kershaw preconceptions off the table, these are good value for the price point. None I handled had any noticeable flaws, blade play, ect. These are a bunch that are true pocket knives too, about the size of a Case Stockman. Thinner than a Delica. The framelock models are nicer than the linerlocks, IMO. Also, these are sharpened on both sides. Again, not my cup of tea but if you buy one for a knife abuser it should last as long as anything else sub $50. I know I reported hearing of flaws, but none I handled had anything that would stop me from buying one
Well, that was above and beyond the call :) but I am glad that you had a chance to check them out first hand. I honestly don't have any experience with the Kershaw's but as far as Emerson's themselves are concerned all of the Emerson knives that I have handled and purchased have been very well made and proven to be rock solid knives. Still they do seem to be a knife people either love ... or love to hate, not too much middle ground.

nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I have an Emerson Commander which at first hated because the F&F didn't meet my expectations, but it slowly grew on me. It's a very ergonomic knife and one of the sharpest (if not the sharpest) knife out of the box I've got. Sometimes I think about getting another Emerson but there is always that knife I'm more interested in. These Kershaw seem nice for less than $40 even if they have issues like the screws of the clip.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

[quote="DRKBC"]Well, that was above and beyond the call

I try to be a standup guy. I had previously handled one but not all 5 offerings my b&m had. I think most folks would be better suited to wait for the ZT/Emerson collabo than these. I think it is the ZT620?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

twinboysdad wrote:
DRKBC wrote:Well, that was above and beyond the call

I try to be a standup guy. I had previously handled one but not all 5 offerings my b&m had. I think most folks would be better suited to wait for the ZT/Emerson collabo than these. I think it is the ZT620?
I agree, both with the fact that you are a stand up guy and that the ZT 0620 is going to be really nice knife. Particularly the CF version, M390 steel, CF scales, frame lock, it should be an amazing knife for a relatively reasonable price. For me I am still uncertain whether or not I would buy one. I kind of like Emerson's made by Emerson I like the grinds I like the handle ergos and they just feel like a knife that you aren't afraid to scratch up. Still I think that 0620 will be really tempting.

Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

DRKBC wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
I agree, both with the fact that you are a stand up guy and that the ZT 0620 is going to be really nice knife. Particularly the CF version, M390 steel, CF scales, frame lock, it should be an amazing knife for a relatively reasonable price. For me I am still uncertain whether or not I would buy one. I kind of like Emerson's made by Emerson I like the grinds I like the handle ergos and they just feel like a knife that you aren't afraid to scratch up. Still I think that 0620 will be really tempting.

I'm a little disappointed in the changes they made to the grooves in the handle scale.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

It's a good money deal for Emerson and Kershaw.

Hopefully the quality will due justice to the brands and price point.

Time will tell.
GW
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I pre-ordered a CQC-6K from BHQ a few months ago, just after SHOT Show. I got it, and honestly, I thought that the mall-ninja skulls all over it were ugly. I sold it a few days later on Ebay and came out about even.

I respect anyone that likes them, as they seemed to be well built, but the skulls killed it for me. (No pun intended.)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:
DRKBC wrote:

I'm a little disappointed in the changes they made to the grooves in the handle scale.
ZT does that I think the 0550 for instance I don't know why that did that strange pattern on the G10 I changed out the handle scale on mine and it was new knife. I don't dislike these as much though, in the end I think I will hold out for 0562 that 0392 is also pretty impressive.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

So, has anyone heard much about the ZT 0620?
RanCoWeAla

Re: Kershaw Emerson Knives: New

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Just bought the CQC 4K a couple of weeks ago and really like it. Its tight but I think that will work out. This knife has a really good feel in the hand.this knife has Sand colored handle and Black blade.

My favorite knife right now is the Kershaw 1870 OLBLK Knockout. I can't say enough good things about this knife.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Seems to me when you offer up your name and reputation to create a $50 knife bearing both - there's a problem.

Pass.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Greg, are you going to author another knife book? You are an excellent author and you have field experience, sir.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Had to take mine back . The thing was entirely too tight and from previous experience with Emerson's when you loosen the pivot the blade gets off center. Also the frame lockbar was very stiff and kept busting my thumb nail because of the stiffness and the sharp edge .If the knife was just smoother and the inside edge of the locking bar was smoothed and rounded off like my Kershaw Knockout it could have been an excellent knife
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Reviews from another forum I frequent have been surprisingly negative so far. (And those are individuals who know knives.)