What 10 inch tablet to get?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
eidah

What 10 inch tablet to get?

Post by eidah »

Hi everyone
I am in the market for a 10 inch tablet. No IOS apple for me. What options do I have. Money inst an issue here as I am willing ti invest in a good tablet.
Thanks.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

As you're not up for an Ipad then I guess you'll be looking into something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I have also heard good things about the Google Nexus. Personally I have an Apple Ipad 3 and I am very happy with it. Whenever I read a new survey of the top tablets the Ipads always seem to dominate.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Unfortunately, the Google Nexus 10 is getting a bit old and there appears to be no update coming (according to rumors). Instead it'll likely be replaced by an 8.9" tablet.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'm a Samsung fan for a lot of reasons I won't go into here. Choosing a tablet is kind of a personal thing and you should definitely try out a few in a store (if you can) to find the one you like the best. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 in 10.1" and a Galaxy Tab 3 in 7" and I love them both. One of the big draws of the Galaxy to me is that they take a microSD card for additional storage. The Galaxy 2 goes up to 32GB microSD, but the 3 will take up to 64GB.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 has been recently released.

I, too, prefer Android over Apple.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I think that on June 11th or 12th that Samsung will have an announcement of a couple of new tablets. An 8.4" and 10.5" model........but what makes these so desirable (aside from the upgraded octa core processor) will be the AMOLED screens. The Samsung S5 has gotten rave reviews for the last rendition of AMOLED and for a tablet it will be amazing! You can actually view the screen outside! Extremely bright sunlight on a screen is always a challenge and pretty well makes most LCD's useless for readability but the AMOLED copes well with moderate sunlight and is still much better in bright sunlight than LCD. It won't be long until the announcement so you might as well wait and see what it looks like. Other than that a Note 10.1 2014 Edition is also a nice tablet and the Tab Pro 10.5 is supposed to be nice as well.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Oh yeah, if you want PC compatibility and price is no object then the Surface Pro 3 with an iCore processor would be nice too. But it is unfortunate that a brand new tablet will be using last year iCore tech when the newer chips are so close to production. The Surface Pro 3 will also have a pressure sensitive stylus somewhat like the Note stylus in operation.
eidah

Post by eidah »

Thanks for the input guys. The problem with the surface pro 3 is it is going to be 12.2 inch screen. Thqats too big for everyday bag carry for me. The 10 inch is just about the the biggest I can carry.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, comes in a 10.1 and 8.4 inch version. The Pro version has the best graphics and Kit Kat OS.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Given the reliability of tablets I would just go with the one you like the most. Even a couple hundred bucks over a span of 3-4 years isn't a ton of money for certain features you adore. My wife has an original iPad that's over 3 years old and still trucking along great.
Donut

Post by Donut »

ASmitty wrote:The Galaxy 2 goes up to 32GB microSD, but the 3 will take up to 64GB.
I wouldn't think those numbers are written in stone. I have a 64 gig card running in my Galaxy S3 phone and I think it's older than the Galaxy 2 tablet. (Or 1 for that matter.) You just have to make sure it has the right file system.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eidah

Post by eidah »

Thanks for the great input guys. I am not sure yet so I might wait a bit to see whats coming. I am leaning towards Samsung.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have two 10" tablets, I typically favor performance over everything. I've been buying only tablets with the Nvidia Tegra architecture in them.

When software is designed with Tegra in mind, it's usually very impressive. My latest tablet is an Asus Transformer Prime with a Tegra 3 processor. They have devices with Tegra 4 and announced a Tegra K1, but don't have any devices with the K1 yet.

Nvidia's device list is usually where I start, then I check to see how much memory (RAM) the devices have, resolution of the display, price, then reviews.

Here is the device list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-phones-tablets.html

Best of luck!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Johnnie1801 wrote:As you're not up for an Ipad then I guess you'll be looking into something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I have also heard good things about the Google Nexus. Personally I have an Apple Ipad 3 and I am very happy with it. Whenever I read a new survey of the top tablets the Ipads always seem to dominate.
Yeah, we ran iPad 1s for years. Loved them. Finally upgraded when the Mini 2s dropped and they are even nicer. It was a no brainier for us to stick with Apple. They do everything we need. We don't even use "computers" any more, just our iPads.

But I guess they're not for everyone.

Ken
玉鋼
eidah

Post by eidah »

kbuzbee wrote:Yeah, we ran iPad 1s for years. Loved them. Finally upgraded when the Mini 2s dropped and they are even nicer. It was a no brainier for us to stick with Apple. They do everything we need. We don't even use "computers" any more, just our iPads.

But I guess they're not for everyone.

Ken
That is true kbuzbee, they are not for everyone. I have used Apple I phone and I pad exclusively until one and a half year ago. I switched to android (Samsung) and felt like being released out of jail. I will never go back to Apple unless they do something extraordinary that will change the world of smartphones and tablets. I hate the rotten fruit.