super blue dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

It's laminated.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

hom76 wrote:Is the blade a laminated one or a slab of super blue?

laminated. SB with 420J1 stainless on both sides.

Jack
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

Laminated.

Tom
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Wow what a great little knife ! I'm very impressed the blade is dead center, has nice action and is razor sharp .
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

The Blues Brothers :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I suggest everyone be careful when adjusting the pivot on the SB sprint Dragonfly. It seems there is loc-tite on the screw that is stronger than the blue that I always use. It didn't feel right when I started to adjust mine. So, I marked the pin head with a sharpie. When I tried to turn the screw the pin tries to turn also. I didn't adjust it because it is really ok and it will probably change after a while anyway. But I didn't want to risk rounding the "D" shaped hole in the FRN. The screw seems to be in the pin tight enough to do exactly that. I am assuming there is loc-tite but don't know for sure. For some reason the screw is real tight on mine. Just something to look out for. My knife may be the only one.

Jack
MCM

Post by MCM »

Donut wrote:Knifeworks has an add to cart button right now.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I want to get a dragonfly g10 and swap the blades out, or have someone make wood scales for the SB dfly. Any recommendations on who makes wood handles for dragonflies?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JerryIsAlive wrote:I want to get a dragonfly g10 and swap the blades out, or have someone make wood scales for the SB dfly. Any recommendations on who makes wood handles for dragonflies?
Jack does.

Also I think you could possibly get them fro Luke at Cuscadi
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

My copy of the SB dragonfly finally arrived and looks great. It is also my first spyderco that is a bit gritty. Normally I would go for the soap and warm water trick and blow out with compressed air but a bit worried about getting moisture into the pivot with the super blue core. Any words of wisdom from the group?
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

ohcyclist wrote:My copy of the SB dragonfly finally arrived and looks great. It is also my first spyderco that is a bit gritty. Normally I would go for the soap and warm water trick and blow out with compressed air but a bit worried about getting moisture into the pivot with the super blue core. Any words of wisdom from the group?
My advice would be oil or in my case I use Froglube . The gritty feeling your getting is the blade rubbing against the grips I believe and with some break in should go away . Possibly some adjusting of the pivot screw but after break in . That's my advice but I'm still a rookie with spidies .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ohcyclist wrote:My copy of the SB dragonfly finally arrived and looks great. It is also my first spyderco that is a bit gritty. Normally I would go for the soap and warm water trick and blow out with compressed air but a bit worried about getting moisture into the pivot with the super blue core. Any words of wisdom from the group?
Whenever I wash out the pivot under running water with soap and all that afterwards I use a hair dryer to quickly get remaining water to evaporate. I don't have an air compressor or I'd use that first. After I am pretty sure it is dry inside I use Tuf-Glide. I use enough so I'm confident it gets inside the pivot hole in addition to the sides of the tang and washers (if there are washers). I let the Tuf-Glide dry then add another lube that provides better, smoother lubrication. I feel like this should do a good job of cleaning and then preventing corrosion. But, maybe the hair dryer is not needed. WD-40 is supposed to displace water (Water Displacement-40). I will wash my SB knives under the faucet if I need to. Sometimes it helps with gritty new knives. But I bet if you sprayed the crap out of your pivot with WD-40 and move the blade around instead of putting it under running water that should be good too. Maybe you could try that first. Good luck and let us know how whatever you do goes.

Jack
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Take it apart clean everything and lube everything, I do that to most of my knives when they arrive. Except for the Manix LTW
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ohcyclist wrote:my copy of the sb dragonfly finally arrived and looks great. It is also my first spyderco that is a bit gritty. Normally i would go for the soap and warm water trick and blow out with compressed air but a bit worried about getting moisture into the pivot with the super blue core. Any words of wisdom from the group?
opusxpn wrote:take it apart clean everything and lube everything, i do that to most of my knives when they arrive. Except for the manix ltw
Taking the knife apart will void the warranty. But if you feel comfortable with this most knives are pretty easy to reassemble without causing damage. If you have never done it you can ask questions here for details. I don't worry about voiding a warranty after I have owned a knife for a while. I figure if anything is going to go wrong THAT IS COVERED BY THE WARRANTY it will happen quickly. After a couple of months or so of using a knife I figure it will continue to work properly and disassemble it if I want to.

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Well, I've been avoiding this thread for about a week because I needed to save a little money for a later sprint which I might want or need worse. I've already got an SB Endura and G-10 D-fly, so that covers everything this little dude has, right? But I've always planned to get some kind of an FRN D-fly but just couldn't decide which one. So I finally took a look at this thread and read every post. All of you facilitating perps finally got to me and I ordered one from sTs, "The Spyderco Store," not to be confused with the SFO -- it seems to be just an independent store run by a retired navy man. They have it cheaper than I've seen elsewhere plus free shipping, so it's so close to the standard black FRN model, I couldn't pass it up. (I guess my store loyalty can be bought for about $5 :) )
jackknifeh wrote:I hate doing it too [paying more than street price] but in 5 years you will have the knife and the extra you paid will be long forgotten. Unless you now can't buy food and die from starvation. :) If you think that may happen let me know and I'll mail you a sandwich. :)

Jack
I didn't pay more than street price, but, Jack, since you are one of the main 'tators (facilitators :-) in this case, I hope you'll extend to me the same offer you mentioned above if I contact you later. I would recommend Spam on light bread, and a pack of Twinkies would be nice too, since both of those have indefinite shelf life, in case they go through the Mobile PO and wind up going to Japan and back :D (but I think it would be a good idea to leave off the lettuce and mayonnaise).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I also got one from the Spyderco Store as well yesterday. After I sent him a query Dave sent me an email saying that he only had 4 left in stock as of Tuesday morning and then they would be gone for good. I picked up one up on Tuesday and if you picked one up after me then it would appear that they only have 2 left - just checked and they are still in stock. They also have free shipping for purchases over $30 if you are in the US - I had mine shipped to a US address to have a neck sheath made before sending it on to me later. I think KW also had it for the same price when it was in stock....but I waited too long.

If you are considering it then you better pull the trigger tonight......probably they will all be dried up (except for the SFO which is selling for retail) by the end of the week.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Glad I got mine when I did great little knife and matches well with its big brother SB Endura 4 :D
I'm really impressed with this SB Dragonfly . Fit and finish is very nice , opens and closes nicely and seems very solid . Feels great in the hand for a little knife to .Was very sharp out of the box but I still hit it with my Sharpmaker using just the fine and ultra fine rods . Then used my knives plus strop block and she's wicked sharp now .
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Robert at National Knives still shows them in stock at good price, also the super blue Stretch.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

That stretch is pretty nice looking .
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I fully submerge my sb Delica, m4 millie, and traditionals with carbon steel on a regular basis. After a quick shake out I put it back in my pocket. No oil, no lube, no coatings. They're all as smooth as ever