Serrated models being discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

aquaman67 wrote:I'm probably the only one who prefers and actually uses a combo edge knife.

I've never had the serrations get in the way. And like having them there when I need them. Having said that, I'm going to begrudgingly take the CE Manix 2 out of my pocket and try to carry the FRN Manix LWT when I get them this week or next. We'll see how it goes.
Not the only one, but few and far between on this forum. I use combo's regularily and some of the posted issues with them (transition between PE and SE, difficulty sharpening) have never been issues to me. Its unfortunate but SE is becoming less and less prevelant. A PM2 in SE or CE would be fantastic.
gph

Post by gph »

zhyla wrote:This and other similar threads got me interested in giving SE another go. I snagged a used Tenacious SE. I sharpened it using a makeshift sharp maker out of a triangular piece of wood with sandpaper wrapped around it. It worked well enough but I got some sharp maker rods today to do it right.

I have carried the Tenacious for a couple weeks now. Of the things I do frequently it excels at the odd yard work task. Things that aren't tough enough to go fetch clippers or machete for. It's really good at slicing thru fibrous stuff. Indoors it's as good as PE for boxes and what not. I like the grippiness of the serrations on whatever you're cutting.

I still don't like the asymmetry of the grinds. Sharpening will take some practice to be as effortless as PE. And I used a really odd CRKT blade for some yard work that has a decent edge but phenomenal blade shape. It surprisingly rivaled the SE for a lot of things.

Wish I had room for two knives in my pockets. There really is a place for both.
I don't know if it applies to what you're cutting but a Lady Bug hawkbill serrated is small and light enough to carry as a second knife. I use mine at work for poking under plastic wrapping without damaging product directly underneath it. I use a plain edge knife far more often but it does make some jobs easier or even possible.

I've said it before but the new clipitool with a serrated edge hawkbill blade and sissors would be a perfect secondary cutting tool for me.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Deacon wrote:Not entirely true. I believe there's one H-1 model scheduled to be made in Golden. Think the bigger questions might be whether collectors would buy a serrated Military, whethe Military fans would buy one with a hollow ground blade, whether "exotic steel" fans would consider H-1 exotic enough, and whether the "buy American" crowd would consider using a foreign steel in it heresy.
importation is not the only reason I would like something other than H1 for a SE Millie sprint. FFG and I just want something super steel boutique-ish that will enhance the serrations properties. I love H1, but would prefer a tough newer super steel for this model, again Cruwear would be cool
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

twinboysdad wrote:importation is not the only reason I would like something other than H1 for a SE Millie sprint. FFG and I just want something super steel boutique-ish that will enhance the serrations properties. I love H1, but would prefer a tough newer super steel for this model, again Cruwear would be cool
I don't know how much material one would have to cut to notice the difference between even VG10 and H1, let alone something like 3V or M4 optimally heat-treated for teeth. It would be a TON though.

There is a test somewhere on youtube where a knife shop took a Byrd Wings G10 out of the box and used both blades to cut leather, rope, and even sawed on a steel pipe. The PE blade stopped being able to cut at about 2 mins of abuse. The serrated one at over 7 minutes was still cutting with ease. Then they put an edge back on the SE side in a couple minutes.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Part of the reasons I dont buy anymore Spydercos and gave up on their new designs that are just too much to deal with, I miss the old school stuff that put them on the map.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Most of my recent purchases have been SE Spydercos. I am a true believer...just today I did my own little cut test involving a PE Delica and a SE Delica, I used latex gloves which I doubled and tripled then quadrupled folded it over the edge and used a pull cut to sever the gloves. the gloves would stretch and then cleave in two. With that very elastic material the SE Delica would radically outperform the PE Delica every time.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13