Favorite Brands other thank Spyderco?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Post by Donut »

ESEE, DPx, Victorinox, Canal Street Cutlery.

Those are the brands that I own and like.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I am a CASE man thru and thru.. Was/is my first love.. There are others that I have an interest in but CASE does it for me!! And you aint taking any of my Spydercos away from me either!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I tend to only carry Spydies, but I like other companies, namely Fox and Kershaw. I dabbled in other brands, but I haven't been terrible impressed by them. Not saying they are bad, just didn't spark my interest.
EDIT: For some reason it escaped my mind at the time, but I am very keen on handmade custom knives as well.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I like my Diaz Tools Rana. I guess as far as pocket knives go, I'm all Spyderco.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I was almost all Benchmade until my friend (and one of the co-designers of the upcoming Spyderco custom collaboration Shirley-Owens ARK) John Shirley got me interested in Spyderco again. I've since received one Benchmade as a gift. I did buy a Benchmade / HK Mini Pika folder to compare to the Byrd Meadowlark. My Spyderco purchases have been much greater in number in that same time frame.

I like selected models from other makers, but Spyderco has the overall lineup I like best with Benchmade somewhere in between.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I forgot to mention I have a secret (not anymore) love for Alox Victorinox folders with Marlinspikes (or sacking needles) or pruning blades. It's a specialized list of available knives, but they are so sweet in my eyes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Benchmade. I have a 300-1 that is smooth as silk.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Revival

Post by Revival »

Donut wrote:ESEE, DPx, Victorinox, Canal Street Cutlery.

Those are the brands that I own and like.
I forgot about Esee. I love their knives.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a few ZT/Kershaw and a few Benchmade, but more than half of the knives I've bought in the past couple of years have been Spyderco.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

ESEE, Tops, Lionsteel, and that's really about it.

I have a few Kershaws, I have a MiniGrip, I have a couple SAKs, but nothing speaks to me like Spyderco.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My leap to Spyderco came after years of pocketing a SAK of some kind. I still love them (have a Mini-Champ on a pocket dangler), as well as Opinels for their old-timey simplicity and good steel.

For fixed blades, ESEE is a go-to for me.

I had my eye on Blind Horse Knives (neat stories behind the company name and the company's sourcing of their steel), but it recently went out of business. Should have pulled the trigger on its scandi Bushcrafter, but dawdled, and now none are to be found.

But just this morning I got an eBay-ordered Blind Horse Knives Bushbaby in O1 and it told me instantly my interest was warranted.

Fortunately, the founders of Blind Horse Knives have split into Battle Horse Knives and L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knives, so their work ethic and design aesthetics are now doubled and each will have me as a customer.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Noah

Post by Noah »

I don't carry any folders but Spyderco anymore, but I do like Leatherman multitools.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Al Mar
Leatherman
Busse Combat/Swamp Rat
Fish on!
GronK

Post by GronK »

Many Spydercos of course, and I have several GEC, Canal Street Cutlery and Case traditionals as well as a couple of Protech autos just because.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Case is my Classic slip joint knives and Spyderco my lockback/tactical brand. I always carry a Case 087, Canoe, Sway back jack or drop point Russlock in my lfp and a Spyderco clipped to my rfp. I'm a life member of the Case Collectors Club have about 1500 posts there and spend my time back and forth between the two forums.
Prof68

Post by Prof68 »

There's a great passage in Susan Orlean's book The Orchid Thief that sums things up for me: "I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size. It makes the world seem not huge and empty but full of possibility."

Aside from the fact that this relates perfectly to knife collecting in general, in a narrower sense it's a good argument for focusing your attention on a single brand (or style, or maker, etc.). In other words, there are just too **** many great knives out there, and concentrating mostly on Spydercos "whittles" the knife world down to a more manageable size, at least for me.

All that said, I do enjoy the occasional Mcusta, having always had a weakness for Japanese-style designs:

http://www.mcustaknives.com/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Prof68 wrote:There's a great passage in Susan Orlean's book The Orchid Thief that sums things up for me: "I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size. It makes the world seem not huge and empty but full of possibility."

Aside from the fact that this relates perfectly to knife collecting in general, in a narrower sense it's a good argument for focusing your attention on a single brand (or style, or maker, etc.). In other words, there are just too **** many great knives out there, and concentrating mostly on Spydercos "whittles" the knife world down to a more manageable size, at least for me.
I like the ideas here.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I like ESEE for fixed blades. They make some good, tough knives.

Right now I am wanting to try out the Lionsteel SR-2, but haven't quite got around to pulling the trigger.
JT

Post by JT »

SAK:s (Vic+Leatherman) and Opinels.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well just to make things clear Spyderco is my only favorite brand. Now other brands I collect would be (in no particular order) Kershaw, Cold steel and Case.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE