Para 2 Tip Down From Factory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tabo

Para 2 Tip Down From Factory

Post by Tabo »

We all know the paramilitary 2 is such a popular and amazing knife, my question is why are they shipped from the factory with the pocket clip in the tip down position? I'm pretty sure that 90% of owners switch it to tip up as soon as they get it so why ship tip down in the first place.

My only thought is that the military and original paramilitary is tip down, so they were just copying that position.

Any thoughts...
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Tabo wrote: My only thought is that the military and original paramilitary is tip down, so they were just copying that position.
That's what I'd offer maybe as to why. When I move it to tip up I get a whiter area where the screw covered the G10 lol. A very minor thing for sure and shipping it tip down is no biggie either though.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Actually, about 70% prefer tip-up. :) I posted a poll on this topic several months ago here:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Probably because the powers that be feel that tip down is the best carry method for the knife, the same reason the Military and original Para were made that way. I carried mine that way for a long time and I was nearly converted to a tip down guy, mostly because I carried a Military for a long time and an original Para for even longer before that, so I was used to it and tended to spydie drop them quite often.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

I switched my Para2 to left hand tip-down when I first got the knife and carried that way for a while. It really wasn't that bad to carry tip-down. I eventually switched to left hand tip-up. For me it is almost a toss-up but I think tip-up is a tiny bit easier for me. I'm right handed but carry a strong-side handgun so I carry the knife weak-handed.

Life is basically an experiment. With practice you can get used to nearly anything that isn't too awkward
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm a strong vote in the tip down carry camp...
On the hunt for...
timlara

Post by timlara »

I agree that tip-down from the factory is probably due to the heritage of the Military model, but one other reason I prefer tip-down on the Para 2 is that to me it feels a little more comfortable in hand with the clip in the factory installed right-handed, tip-down position. I generally prefer tip-up carry as well on most of my knives, but for some reason the Para 2 just doesn't feel quite right in my hand if I move the clip to tip-up. Something about the handle shape combined with the clip mount in tip-up just doesn't fit my hand quite right.

Unfortunately, one thing I *don't* like about carrying the Para 2 tip-down (as many have mentioned) is that the opening hole/blade hump area tends to scrape my hand a little bit when reaching into my pocket for my keys, so I may try one of STR's low-rider clips to see if that would feel better in tip-up position for me.
Tim
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

People have different reasons for why they carry one way or the other. If I'm going to carry a one-hand opening knife I want to carry it in the manner that makes it fastest, easiest and safest to draw and open, so I carry tip down. I have some knives that are tip up and I do carry them in my rotation, for instance today I was carrying a Manix 2, but they are slower for me to open. Worst case, a tip-up knife is less safe to open. When I pull the knife out it is backwards and my thumb is too far from the thumb hole to open it. If I'm really in a hurry I will do a quick toss up in the air then catch the knife turned in the proper position and open it. You can imagine that this could be unsafe under some situations. If I'm not in a hurry then I have time to squirm the knife around in my hand to the proper position to open it. With a Para2 as it comes from the factory tip down, when I pull it out my thumb is already right on the thumb hole and I can open the knife quickly.

I just bought a used para2 for a project, and it came switched to tip up. If I had known that I would not have bought it because I've read too many instances of the clip screws being ruined by switching the clip, and I don't know yet if I can switch the clip back to its proper position.

There are lots of people that don't carry front right pocket so they have reasons for switching the clip around to other positions.

I find it strange that the Para2 comes tip down but the Bradley folder comes tip up.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

A point that has not yet been mentioned is that with knife tip down it is much easier to draw the knife straight into a spyder drop by just putting one's thumb into the spyder hole.

Another knife that comes tip down from the factory is the Centofante 3, and yes I did strip one of the clip screws getting it off and needed to borrow a screw from my Endura...
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

They ship it as god intended man to carry it...