Shirogami (white) steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
einstein2001

Shirogami (white) steel?

Post by einstein2001 »

I was wondering if any of the Shirogami (white) steels have ever been considered for a mule or production run?
As an almost pure carbon steel its corrosion resistance would be poor and not as tough as Aiogami Super, but may be an interesting steel nonetheless.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

That would make me happy :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

I haven't tried Super Blue yet, but I've been very happy with my Tojiro Shirogami. Really easy to keep it razor sharp. Mine is starting to get a cool patina, almost bronze. I mainly cut up apples with this knife. Please pardon the cell phone pic:

Holland

Post by Holland »

id be all over this, preferably in a delica or dragonfly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Honestly, it seems to me like white steel is ok, but the primary reason to use it is that it's cheaper than blue steel. It's doesn't hold an edge as well, but is more brittle (if I'm not mistaken).

I would prefer to see more Aogami, but might try a Shirogami mule.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

kennethsime wrote:Honestly, it seems to me like white steel is ok, but the primary reason to use it is that it's cheaper than blue steel. It's doesn't hold an edge as well, but is more brittle (if I'm not mistaken).

I would prefer to see more Aogami, but might try a Shirogami mule.
shiro is good for those who are darksider sharpeners ;)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

kennethsime wrote:Honestly, it seems to me like white steel is ok, but the primary reason to use it is that it's cheaper than blue steel. It's doesn't hold an edge as well, but is more brittle (if I'm not mistaken).
Why people prefer one steel over the other is held to a lot of subjective opinion, and some arguments that often lead to mysticism. Murray Carter has a video where he argues basically that white steel is superior for those who are masters of the craft : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIKDlWhW0o .

In terms of properties :

-neither are tough steels in any sense of the word
-white steel has a higher edge stability
-blue steel has a higher wear resistance
-blue steel is more forgiving to less than ideal HT
-blue steel has a stronger resistance to oxidization (but still low)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Apophis,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi Einstein,

I guess I'll watch the thread and see desires.

sal
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

A Mule in any steel is tempting, wide range user "testing" different flavors is a possible benefit of the program. Having a selection of traditionally used cutlery steel to compare to new, high-grade, exotic ones could support this.

A little off topic: A thread comparing different Mules` performance, if existing, slipped my attention so far. :(
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I would really like to see a value line folder in the Shirogami white steel. Maybe a UKPK? If you could get this steel into a price point under $50.00 street price I think it would have a very loyal following. My ideal knife for this steel would be a FFG Delica.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Why people prefer one steel over the other is held to a lot of subjective opinion, and some arguments that often lead to mysticism. Murray Carter has a video where he argues basically that white steel is superior for those who are masters of the craft : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIKDlWhW0o .

In terms of properties :

-neither are tough steels in any sense of the word
-white steel has a higher edge stability
-blue steel has a higher wear resistance
-blue steel is more forgiving to less than ideal HT
-blue steel has a stronger resistance to oxidization (but still low)
Interesting. Watching the video, I'd bet Spyderco could pull off a white steel knife, although it sounds like quality control would be a pain in the rear, and that the price point would have to be fairly high if only a few people could work on the blades.

Would it still be accurate to say that an off-the-shelf hand-made japanese kitchen knife from (for example) the Japanese Woodworkers' catalog in blue steel would have superior edge retention and toughness than their white steel counterparts?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I like non stainless steels but this will be one oif the rustyist steels Spyderco could pick to work on. It is about as pure a steel as you can find though. Without the tungsten the heat treat has to be pretty precise. Without the small abounts of chrome in many tool steels it doesn't deep harden just like W2. Despite the lower elements you would think would raise the price for steels this is pretty expensive. It is very pure, and made to exacting standards using Virgin Iron, etc. So I heard anyway. The corrosion would cause more measures to be taken than even the 52100, and Super blue did for the mule team.

I'd think W2 would be a bit more practical though admittedly it isn't YSS White paper steel.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Srg. Trollski

Post by Srg. Trollski »

I heard it is more wear resistant than k390
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I heard it is more wear resistant than k390
And you heard this from?
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Clip

Post by Clip »

The Mastiff wrote:And you heard this from?
Same sheet with his SM-35M50 information I'm guessing.

I honestly don't know where people get the time to waste trolling. Wish I had those extra resources.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
VG-10

Post by VG-10 »

I would really like to have a Shirogami Mule to go along with my Aogami Mule. I enjoy using Hitachi's carbon steel for daily cutting tasks as well as skinning game. I would like to see a Shirogami Kiwi4, that would be awesome!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

How about one of those Spyderco kitchen knives with white steel or super blue?
Holland

Post by Holland »

id be very happy if they were superblue, but i dont see them using a non stainless steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

I have several kitchen knives in Aogami and Shirogami. I use them on a regular basis and don't have any rust issues. Of course I always wipe them dry and apply a drop of oil after using them...

Shirogami is very easy to sharpen and it gets really scary sharp. What a joy to use the steel in the kitchen... But I don't notice a significant difference between Aogami and Shirogami... And yes, Shirogami is very brittle...

Maybe we could see Sirogami in a laminated sandwich (stainless outer) like the Superblue... (Anyone has a pure Shirogami blade? All I have are laminated blades with soft iron)

I know that some people don't like the slightly irregular sandwich lines in the blade grind... For my part, I like it very much (more than any damascus)...

Take care,

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

pass. Rather see 1095 or 01, or any old school tool steel than a brittle import. I LOVE my SB E4 though, and have it in pocket as I type