Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

ZDP-189 anyone? That'd be my first choice if it ends up being produced in Japan.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
sal

Post by sal »

We can use any steel made in Japan. We work with Takefu, Hitachi, Myodo, Aichi, etc.

sal
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I'd love a VG-10 ATR. Sal, add me to the list.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Holland wrote:very exciting! whats the likelihood that VG10 wont be used?
I would be very happy with VG10. Sometimes I think we're spoiled by the steels Spyderco uses in most of their knives. We end up wanting a "super steel". But isn't VG10 a "super steel" in its own right?

Now VG-10 with DLC coating would be the bees knees! Not sure how that would look with grey G10 though. Hmm...wait, is G10 scales even an option???
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

i think superblue or zdp189 would be pretty awesome! not a big fan of vg10, especially when there are better options available :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love to hear some folks familiar with the other Japanese steels. I have a knife in Cobalt Special that I like but would be open to anything new or old :) . Maybe a Japanese high-speed too steel?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:I would love to hear some folks familiar with the other Japanese steels. I have a knife in Cobalt Special that I like but would be open to anything new or old :) . Maybe a Japanese high-speed too steel?
Is there a Japanese equivalent to K294? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I would be very happy with VG10. Sometimes I think we're spoiled by the steels Spyderco uses in most of their knives. We end up wanting a "super steel". But isn't VG10 a "super steel" in its own right?
Forum Native is my primary cutter, but I still love my VG10 knives. Just reprofiled my Caly3.5. This is the knife.
Holland wrote:i think superblue or zdp189 would be pretty awesome! not a big fan of vg10, especially when there are better options available :)
I would never agree that SB and ZDP is better than VG10. For some tasks yes, for some not at all.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If it is suppose to be a hard use/SD knife then something stainless with good toughness would probably be a good idea... Not too familiar with Japanese steels, but ZA-18 is a N690 copy and might work.. I also like VG-10..
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:I would love to hear some folks familiar with the other Japanese steels.
+1
I cannot recall Spyderco using Japanese PM steels other than ZDP189, which was developed quite a few years ago. And I am wondering why? I have no idea, if Japanese companies producing anything similar to American and European PM steels. Most of them were developed for various tooling applications. I would think that Japanese companies want to compete on that market as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote:If it is suppose to be a hard use/SD knife then something stainless with good toughness would probably be a good idea... Not too familiar with Japanese steels, but ZA-18 is a N690 copy and might work.. I also like VG-10..
I never used a blade with N690, but read that this steel is similar to VG10. How ZA-18 is different to compare with VG10.

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

More carbon (don't remember the rest, I have a gyuto in it). In kitchen knives it is usually taken a point or 2 harder than VG10
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe without the cobra hood, and a normal clip.
- best wishes, Jazz.
AndrewDanielson

Post by AndrewDanielson »

+1 zdp-189
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would be happy with any of the steels mentioned. VG-10 is making a comback in my collection and for all the good reasons we love. I am a Superblue fanatic now and certainly would not be able to resist an ATR in this livery, regardless of pricepoint. ZDP-189 I love, yet could do without on larger blades with thicker stock. Laminated steels also interest me very little lately, but I would love a folder in Cobalt Special. The MT09 was and still is one of my favorites and I think the steel is underrated!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mainaman

Post by mainaman »

I love the blade shape, and I will get one if this is made.
I would take ZDP -189, but also would not be against Blue #2 or SLD or SKD type of steel
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The idea of a beefy knife in ZDP-189 doesn't really sit well for me (and I love that stuff). The cost, sharpening woes, and A.T.R philosophy.

Looking at my knife steel phone app the makers mentioned by Sal make a ton of products with uses across the board. I just haven't heard of them before :) .
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Pretty good response so far, let's keep it going!
Anyone actually own one of these bad boys?
Me. ;)

Exactly as pictured- the plain edge/ TiNi(?) coated version.

Handles very nicely- good weighty nice with a great balance- slick opening as well.
The blade shape is superb for serious heavy work- the point pierces thick materials with ease, especially with the cobrahood adding thumb pressure.

I too would like some nice grippy G10 over the top of the metal handle for long work day usage use...Also the pocket clip design is better with MOLLE webbing loops than it is in the pocket of my jeans (go figure considering the original design brief!)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mattman

Post by mattman »

I'll take one, in whatever steel Taz picks...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Pretty awesome responses. My fingers are crossed!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra