I think the Domino is my favorite knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobC2

I think the Domino is my favorite knife

Post by RobC2 »

I have had a good number of Spydercos and some knives from other manufacturers as well and I don't think I have ever owned a better feeling knife. The materials are great, it is not overly expensive, and the build quality is second to none. Kudos to Spyderco for coming up with a great design that is just the right size and classy enough, yet tough enough for any occasion I might normally find myself in.

I sharpened mine for the first time today on the WE at 36 degrees inclusive to 800 grit for a semi-toothy edge. This combo should work great for me for EDC tasks. It is too early to tell about edge retention, but it should be good enough for my purposes. Sharpening was easy and I like the steel a lot so far.

Finally, probably the most notable feature is the flipper. Mine flips open smoothly and the Spyderhole works great too, so I am happy to have both opening options. It is just a really well thought out knife, even down to the premium pocket clip which matches the rest of the knife perfectly. I don't often write "reviews" such as this, but I would say if you are on the fence about this one, you should try it out. It may just become your new favorite too!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Yeah it's pretty much my favorite next to the Millie! Domino gets the front pocket :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the review. Mine should be arriving on Monday. Can't wait to get it!
:bug-red-white
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I really like the Domino too. The F&F, styling, premium materials, large fasteners, etc really make this a stand out model. I'm glad it's not any smaller, it's about the perfect all around EDC size. It could always be bigger, but I'm glad the model isn't any smaller than it is.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I just got mine today and I agree its a great knife. I am very picky and I can't find anything I don't like about it. I might have to put my Tuff away for a while and carry this one, I did not buy it to be a safe queen but I was not planning on carrying it just yet but it keeps calling to me.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
christopher

Post by christopher »

Really like this knife! It's become my EDC. Love to play with it, builds familiarity with the draw and the flip don't you know...
Chris

Post by DRKBC »

Popsickle wrote:Yeah it's pretty much my favorite next to the Millie! Domino gets the front pocket :)

Couldn't agree more, to great Spyderco's!

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

So please, someone tell me, how does the carbon fiber "feel" say compared to the scales on the Sage 1? Is it slightly grippy like the Sage 1 or is it slicker like the Nishijin Lum?
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The pattern is what gives it its grip and it is a pretty confident grip. It's not slick but it isn't really grippy either, if G10 was 10 and polished carbon fibre was 1 this would be somewhere in the middle. Combined with the egros and the weight of the knife I think for what this knife is its a perfect amount of texture. Hope that made some sense.
nccole

Post by nccole »

It feels exactly like a Sage 1/Gayle Bradley/Chaparral to me.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

DRKBC and nccole,

Thanks for the responses. That's what I wanted to hear. I need to go check the sofa for loose change and make a cardboard sign that says, "Will work for Spyderco Domino".
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Awesome blade. I want another.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Ok. I pulled the trigger and got a Domino. I have a few cheaper flippers, Kershaws, etc. Had to get at least one quality flipper. I didn't like the shape of the Southard. But the Domino blade caught my eye. I figure, CF + Titanium is quality enough. Can't wait to see it.
bchan

Post by bchan »

I think the flipper in the Domino is a tad too small. I like more prominent flippers a la the Kershaws.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I love this knife too. If I could change one thing, it would be the carbon fiber. Probably to G10. It's just a little slippery, especially in any sort of warm weather. It's fine once you're really gripping the knife, but part of having a flipper is pulling it out of the pocket and flipping it open to use, and it's a little slippery in that essential moment.
drhanson

Post by drhanson »

The Domino is an amazing knife. With all the compromises one has to make when designing a great knife, I think the Dominio hit the sweet spot of all of them. I truly wouldn't change a thing. I've only had the Domino for 10 days, yet I've already carried it more than my PM2, Manix 2 and Caly 3.5 combined. I tend to carry knifes that don't have a major negative; the Manix 2 it was the weight and pocket hogging width I didn't like, the PM2 isn't very easy to close left handed and the Caly 3.5 while smooth isn't a fast opener. Everybody is different and things that are a negative to me are a positive to somebody else. I'm just glad the Domino came along and was able to pass all my personal go, no-go tests. The thing looked great on paper and in the hand its even better.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I got my Domino yesterday and when I tried to use the flipper to open it, it only opened 1/2 way. I tried it again but a little harder and it opened with a good click sound. I thought that it would open list some of my Kershaws with some spring assist. I guess the Domino doesn't have a spring. But that is a good thing for me. I really don't like the spring assist type of knives because of my fear that they will open in my pocket. That is why I only have the Kershaw Leek which has the locking feature. With the little added pressure on the flipper, it opens fine and I feel safer that it will likely not open when it's in my pocket. I guess there are knives that are 'flippers' and knives that are spring assisted with the flipper'. I'm happy with my Domino. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Random question, but has anyone switched their clip to the same spot on the other side (the G10/CF side)?

It seems like that's the most natural clip position to rapidly access the flipper when pulling the knife from the right pants pocket. With the standard clip position, you have to turn the knife over after drawing it to use the flipper.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

camvdcs wrote:I got my Domino yesterday and when I tried to use the flipper to open it, it only opened 1/2 way. I tried it again but a little harder and it opened with a good click sound. I thought that it would open list some of my Kershaws with some spring assist. I guess the Domino doesn't have a spring. But that is a good thing for me. I really don't like the spring assist type of knives because of my fear that they will open in my pocket. That is why I only have the Kershaw Leek which has the locking feature. With the little added pressure on the flipper, it opens fine and I feel safer that it will likely not open when it's in my pocket. I guess there are knives that are 'flippers' and knives that are spring assisted with the flipper'. I'm happy with my Domino. :)
Yeah, spring assisted is another category of flipper. If you want a more positive deployment, I have found that keeping pressure off of the lock bar and pushing the flipper lever in with a bit of force (rather than down) opens the knife as quickly as I will ever need. It may take a few tries to master, but it is worth it.
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Random question, but has anyone switched their clip to the same spot on the other side (the G10/CF side)?

It seems like that's the most natural clip position to rapidly access the flipper when pulling the knife from the right pants pocket. With the standard clip position, you have to turn the knife over after drawing it to use the flipper.
I guess it depends on your typical hand position while drawing. For me, the current position works best to draw and get to the flipper, but I agree, that there is going to be some adjustment after deployment. Even if the clip were reversed, I think if you flip with your index finger, that adjustment can't be avoided. Carrying tip up, I think it is worth the trade off in opening speed to have the potentially open blade where I won't encounter it as it is right against the back of my pocket vs. where I might get cut going ofr my wallet or something else in the pocket. YMMV