Looking for a small(er) EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ji_long

Post by ji_long »

I use my dragonfly more than any other knife and I've usually got at least 3 other knives on me. There's not much I come across in my daily use that it can't handle.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Take a good long look at the CAT. I have two, one with jimping, one without. I also have a CF Chapparal and a leaf blade Urban. These are generally similar in size and shape. I bought the first CAT out of curiosity but find it very good for EDC. I was concerned that the 440C would perform poorly in comparison with S30V or VG-10 but, so far, that's not been a problem.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Gonna throw my vote in for two knives I didn't see mentioned yet, but take a look at the MeerKat and the CoPilot. Both great knives in my opinion. Small and discrete yet they are great! The MeerKat especially, just slips into my hand and feels almost like another finger, it's that natural for me. Plus it is the only Spyderco with a Phantom Lock which is also a great party trick. I've won many a beer getting drunk people try to close it. Just gotta make sure they don't cut themselves! And the CoPilot is another great LBK. I can only get a three finger grip on it which is easily fixed with the addition of a lanyard. The only problem is both these knives are discontinued so finding them is tough but they come up on FSOT sites often enough that it isn't too hard to snag one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Dragonfly, most definitely. Or both. The Dfly can just go right in a pocket with the Delica clipped.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Waco

Post by Waco »

My Native5 is my designated dress/low intimidation knife.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Caly 3 or 3.5 is absolute best for edc.
I fully agree! These have absolutely the finest ergos of any Spyderco knife, plus one of the very few (unmodded) that goes fully deep pocket carry with a more subtle clip to draw attention versus the hourglass ones. For the office/university setting, the CF ZDP-189 version is unbeatable, 3" or 3.5" depends on your own hand size. I have decent size hands and find the Caly 3 a bit too small (and the Delica too for that matter), while the 3.5 is to me the pinnacle of form. Wouldn't mind some more sprints with those 2 platforms either!

Welcome to the forums Mitch :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'd grab one of those stag Kiwis that are still floating around on closeout. But then I'm partial to Wharncliffes.

Gordon
Silentman

Post by Silentman »

Invective wrote:Gonna throw my vote in for two knives I didn't see mentioned yet, but take a look at the MeerKat and the CoPilot. Both great knives in my opinion. Small and discrete yet they are great! The MeerKat especially, just slips into my hand and feels almost like another finger, it's that natural for me. Plus it is the only Spyderco with a Phantom Lock which is also a great party trick. I've won many a beer getting drunk people try to close it. Just gotta make sure they don't cut themselves! And the CoPilot is another great LBK. I can only get a three finger grip on it which is easily fixed with the addition of a lanyard. The only problem is both these knives are discontinued so finding them is tough but they come up on FSOT sites often enough that it isn't too hard to snag one.
Id agree about the meerkat, I love mine.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Roosters Tackle wrote:Thanks guys,
Just ordered a Dragonfly, and hey, if it isn't 'perfect' I can always try another model.
Thanks
Mitch
Nice choice! You'll love it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.