Paramilitary 2: What's the big deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So I wanted to see what the big deal was for myself. I went out and bought a used PM2 off ebay, and it arrived today.

My first observation was that the compression lock on the PM2 is much smoother than on my Superleaf. The PM2 flicks open easily, like my Manix 2, where the Superleaf never would. The ergos are a bit different from my Superleaf, but not too much.

All in all, I think that if I see a chance to grab a PM2 in a cool steel I want, I'll jump on it, but I'm not going to run out and spend some insane amount of money on the secondhand market.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

For me personally it's more about price - I thought long and hard about getting a PM2 before I got my Manix 2 LW, and the later won on cost - in Singapore average price for a Manix 2 lightweight is around S$200, for a PM2 it's over S$300!

Both of these knives have the forward finger choil, and I prefer the ergonomics of the ball bearing lock over the compression lock. I also prefer the wire clip on the Manix 2 LW.

However at the end of the day the PM2 seems an excellent all-rounder.

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
BAL

Post by BAL »

TomAiello wrote:So I wanted to see what the big deal was for myself. I went out and bought a used PM2 off ebay, and it arrived today.

My first observation was that the compression lock on the PM2 is much smoother than on my Superleaf. The PM2 flicks open easily, like my Manix 2, where the Superleaf never would. The ergos are a bit different from my Superleaf, but not too much.

All in all, I think that if I see a chance to grab a PM2 in a cool steel I want, I'll jump on it, but I'm not going to run out and spend some insane amount of money on the secondhand market.
The compression lock is a huge plus to me in any knife. Once you (well at least me)
get used to operating a knife with a CL it is hard to get used to using something else.
The PM has a nice mid size as well.

Agree, I would like to have another one, but I am not paying stupid prices, they will
start circulating again someday....or not.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:Why do people think that Kate Upton is more desirable than
Who the heck is Kate Upton? Does she sell Spydercos?

Ken
玉鋼
BAL

Post by BAL »

kbuzbee wrote:Who the heck is Kate Upton? Does she sell Spydercos?

Ken
You need to get out more my brotha,
even I know who she is, and I am about
as far removed from celebrity types as anyone.
(unless they are the gun & knive guru's)

Actually, if Spyderco got her to walk around showing off her
Para's, I am thinking that many would check it out, sales might
go thru the roof, and they would be hard to get ahold of.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:You need to get out more my brotha,
You are right about that! ;)

I get out.... I go to Home Depot for mulch, and the grocery.....

Can't say I've ever seen her either place (also can't say I haven't)

Maybe if she wore a name tag or something!

But you are right, carrying a couple Spydies makes everything better (that's what you said, right! ;) )

now, back to my nap......

Ken
玉鋼
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

glbpro wrote:For me personally it's more about price - I thought long and hard about getting a PM2 before I got my Manix 2 LW, and the later won on cost - in Singapore average price for a Manix 2 lightweight is around S$200, for a PM2 it's over S$300!

Both of these knives have the forward finger choil, and I prefer the ergonomics of the ball bearing lock over the compression lock. I also prefer the wire clip on the Manix 2 LW.
I do prefer the wire clip, but my Manix 2 G-10 doesn't have it. How low the SuperLeaf rides in my pocket is one of it's best features (for me), because of some things I do at work (I'm continually snagging lines on the protruding top of anything in my pockets).

Comparative price was a non-issue for me on this one--I got the used PM2 (which honestly doesn't look used at all to me) off eBay for less than I paid for my Manix 2.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I personally don't like the Military or the Para Military. I had two of each and got rid of all four. The tip is too fragile on both models. The pocket clip is mounted all wrong on the Military and the compression lock on the Para Military will pinch the crap out of you about fifty percent of the time. The super leaf is light years ahead of either and is extremely comfortable to carry due to the clip being mounted correctly.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

BAL wrote:You need to get out more my brotha,
even I know who she is, and I am about
as far removed from celebrity types as anyone.
(unless they are the gun & knive guru's)

Actually, if Spyderco got her to walk around showing off her
Para's, I am thinking that many would check it out, sales might
go thru the roof, and they would be hard to get ahold of.
I'm relieved that I'm not the only one not knowing who they are (and who is the other one, by the way?). :D

Sorry for OT.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I personally don't like the Military or the Para Military. I had two of each and got rid of all four. The tip is too fragile on both models. The pocket clip is mounted all wrong on the Military and the compression lock on the Para Military will pinch the crap out of you about fifty percent of the time. The super leaf is light years ahead of either and is extremely comfortable to carry due to the clip being mounted correctly.
I like the tiny tip on my Para2s for precision work, but I agree... if I had to choose one or the other, I would be all about my Superleaf (luckily I can just own ALL of the Spydercos instead of picking one! :) )
BAL

Post by BAL »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I personally don't like the Military or the Para Military. I had two of each and got rid of all four. The tip is too fragile on both models. The pocket clip is mounted all wrong on the Military and the compression lock on the Para Military will pinch the crap out of you about fifty percent of the time. The super leaf is light years ahead of either and is extremely comfortable to carry due to the clip being mounted correctly.
Everyone has different opinions so there is never a wrong opinion, and besides that's why
they make so many different knife styles.

But I felt compelled to reply for some reason, I guess because I am completely the opposite
in my evaluations. I have used both knives extensively, especially a couple Militarys and I
have never had an issue with the tips being too fragile. I don't recall anyone ever breaking
a tip off unless they were abusing it like prying the tracks off of a D9.

I almost didn't get my first Military because of the tip down clip, but after getting one, it
makes more sense on a large knife to have the tip down, to spydie drop or grab and swing,
but that is all personal preference stuff.

And after using a compression lock, I have a hard time buying any knife that doesn't have
one.

Glad that you like your Superleaf though, I have never had the desire to get one.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Hi there,

Don't post often, but the Para 2 is one of my favorite knives and I beat the crap out of mine. It's the folder I carry when doing asbestos inspections and field sampling work. I'll bullet point the things I like:

- It's a great size. Larger knives are to big for my hands. This knife is about as big as I can get while still feeling good to carry.
- The lock is great. Always locks up solid, very easy to open and close one handed.
- Blade can take beating.

That may seem like a simple list, but there are very few knives out there that fall into this size category with the same fit/finish. The compression lock is possibly my favorite lock out there and this knife is just comfortable to use hard.
jlomein

Post by jlomein »

Finally came into stock at a local Canadian dealer so I picked it up.

I can't seem to find a happy pivot medium. Right now I've got it so tight that the blade won't deploy or close under gravity when the lock is disengaged, but there is still left/right blade play. If I tighten to where there is no blade play, it becomes difficult to deploy.

Aside from that, it feels good in the hand (once the pocket clip is changed to RH tip up). Also enjoy how buffed/polished the spydie hole is. My only gripe about my Chaparral is how the spydie hole is so sharp.

It's going to replace my Manix 2 Lightweight for a while as my large EDC so I can get a feel for it.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

jlomein wrote:Finally came into stock at a local Canadian dealer so I picked it up.

I can't seem to find a happy pivot medium. Right now I've got it so tight that the blade won't deploy or close under gravity when the lock is disengaged, but there is still left/right blade play. If I tighten to where there is no blade play, it becomes difficult to deploy.

Aside from that, it feels good in the hand (once the pocket clip is changed to RH tip up). Also enjoy how buffed/polished the spydie hole is. My only gripe about my Chaparral is how the spydie hole is so sharp.

It's going to replace my Manix 2 Lightweight for a while as my large EDC so I can get a feel for it.
I have three Para2s and none of them allow the blade to swing freely (like on a Manix2) when disengaged. They all broke in pretty quickly, and after a short while I could disengage the lock and flick them open or closed with my wrist (even though that is not my preferred method of deployment.)
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

The PM2 just hits all the right notes. It is the most elegant feel of any knife I have ever handled. I would have liked to see it the choice for the form knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone know how/if I can get the compression lock on my SuperLeaf to be as smooth as the lock on my PM2?

Take it apart and polish it, maybe?
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

Add me to the list of people who don't get the Para 2 obsession. I've had one since it was first released and found myself seldom carrying it. I'd say its spent less than 14 days in my pocket.

Now the Manixes, those I have a ton of and generally default to one unless I'm breaking in a new knife. They fit me like a glove.

That being said, everyone is different, and the PM2 has quite a following. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone and vice-versa.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's a nice knife and I understand why lots of folks like it. But it just isn't for me. In fact it's probably not even in my top ten favorite knives. I don't subscribe to all of the hype and mania surrounding this knife. But to each his own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jay_Ev wrote:It's a nice knife and I understand why lots of folks like it. But it just isn't for me. In fact it's probably not even in my top ten favorite knives. I don't subscribe to all of the hype and mania surrounding this knife. But to each his own.
And there it is, TRVTH. ;) It's a big catalog with lots of choices, and we should all be happy with that! :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JNewell wrote:And there it is, TRVTH. ;) It's a big catalog with lots of choices, and we should all be happy with that! :spyder:
Have I been in your choir before? I certainly am at the moment. :D
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”