Spyderco Swick

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M.FREEZE

Spyderco Swick

Post by M.FREEZE »

What are anyone's thoughts on the Spyderco Swick 1 in S30V? Does anyone have any production info? Spidiewiki didn't have anything.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

There were 3 runs of Swicks. Two of which were sprints if I recall correctly.

1st set was nearly identical to the 2nd, but I cannot for the life of me find the info on site. It lacks the trademark hole, and also has the word Swick on the side of the blade with the Spyderbug, as well as came with a kydex sheath.

2nd set, http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=401 Similar to the first set, but was a limited sprint of 500 pieces, added the trademark hole on the blade, and did not come with a sheath.

3rd set, http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=459 Blade shape was modified to a leaf blade, and lengthened slightly. 600 piece run. No sheath again.

As for thoughts on the knife? I've been an avid Swick fan for....ever pretty much. Simple, well designed, and does it's job flawlessly. If you can find one, get one.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

If you are planning on putting scales on your Swick, make sure you look at the 3d Generation Leaf blade model. It is the only one with a full set of mounting holes for pins. The first two runs were meant to be used naked, I assume. :cool:

TedP
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find the ergos are great and its a great neck knife or just back up edc. The hole is fairly large so it fits most hands and it's nice to work with if you need to cut and work with your hands. I've used it like that many times. Works pretty well in reverse grip edge out too. Spyderco also produced at least 1 serrated hawkbill model i believe for a river rescue team. All in all a great little work or SD knife.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Their first attempt at a folding SWICK was the Bi-fold, designed by Eric Glesser. The knife was right handed only, and an entirely new locking mechanism had to be designed in order to have it fold with the Perrin indexing hole. The knife won an award for innovation in design. Sadly, it was classified as automatic, and had severely restricted sales due to this point. It was also produced in sub-optimal steel because IIRC, it was cast-metal.

They are now testing a folding Swick model in which the finger hole folds through the knife and comes out of the back acting as a Carson flipper. This knife is ambidextrous (has a midlock/backlock), has a wire clip and can be folded to fit into the pocket. It is not classified as an auto, and therefore less restricted in its sale and ability to be carried.

While they don't actively market the Swick line as self defense knives, IMHO they are the most apt defensive knives in the lineup. The angled blade combined with the indexing hole make a weapon that cannot be easily disarmed but can be really effective.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
sal

Post by sal »

We have a Swick 4 in both a leaf and warncliff scheduled for later this year. Sprint runs of each. Like the others, there are slight mods to refine the design. Also has mounting holes for scales.

sal
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hello everyone ! I have a Swick 1st generation with custom black Micarta handles mounted behind the hole , works very well . Regards MG2
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

sal wrote:We have a Swick 4 in both a leaf and warncliff scheduled for later this year. Sprint runs of each. Like the others, there are slight mods to refine the design. Also has mounting holes for scales.

sal
Oh happy day! I love Wharncliff blades.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

sal wrote:We have a Swick 4 in both a leaf and warncliff scheduled for later this year. Sprint runs of each. Like the others, there are slight mods to refine the design. Also has mounting holes for scales.

sal
Thank you.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
MCM

Post by MCM »

sal
great news!
warncliff for me please.
Blade steel on the new ones?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JLS

Post by JLS »

sal
Sal,

This is great news! I love the Swicks and am glad to hear more are coming. There's also quite a few people who've seen mine that will likely be excited as well. It's also great news that they'll have the scale mounting points. It's possible to mount them on the original, you just have to work a bit harder.

There's just one thing about these though. When you say Swick 4...uh, what happened to #3? Have you been holding out on us? :D
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

JLS wrote:There's just one thing about these though. When you say Swick 4...uh, what happened to #3? Have you been holding out on us? :D
Swick 2 was actually third generation. Swick 1 had two versions. A new Swick would be the fourth, technically speaking, but I'd like the idea of a third one I don't know about.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal
Wow that's great news! Any chance it will come with a sheath?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JLS

Post by JLS »

smcfalls13 wrote:Swick 2 was actually third generation. Swick 1 had two versions. A new Swick would be the fourth, technically speaking, but I'd like the idea of a third one I don't know about.
True that it'll be the fourth release, but the model designation rarely, if ever follows that. I just don't want to be missing out on a Swick model. They're too handy to miss out on!
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
araneae

Post by araneae »

SolidState wrote:Their first attempt at a folding SWICK was the Bi-fold, designed by Eric Glesser. The knife was right handed only, and an entirely new locking mechanism had to be designed in order to have it fold with the Perrin indexing hole. The knife won an award for innovation in design. Sadly, it was classified as automatic, and had severely restricted sales due to this point. It was also produced in sub-optimal steel because IIRC, it was cast-metal.

They are now testing a folding Swick model in which the finger hole folds through the knife and comes out of the back acting as a Carson flipper. This knife is ambidextrous (has a midlock/backlock), has a wire clip and can be folded to fit into the pocket. It is not classified as an auto, and therefore less restricted in its sale and ability to be carried.

While they don't actively market the Swick line as self defense knives, IMHO they are the most apt defensive knives in the lineup. The angled blade combined with the indexing hole make a weapon that cannot be easily disarmed but can be really effective.
Still my favorite concept model from blade. I can't wait to see the introvert make it to production, although I don't think it will be cheap.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Reject

Post by Reject »

:eek: I did not know about the first model of the Swick.
I have the other 2 and I thought I had them covered.

You see; :D I have this crazy notion of owning one of every model of Spyderco FB knife manufactured.
So the hunt begins; it may be a futile search, :) but I shell search anyway.

Anyway; this topic needs pictures.

How much can a Koala bear?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Swick is a beautiful thing. Well worth enjoying :)
Attachments
swick and points.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]