Wife knife recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

razorsharp wrote:I just got a burgundy meerkat and I think they can still be had. It's a sweet Comfortable little knife with excellent retention
This would be my pick too. I've tried a number of knives with my wife and it's the one that she has no problem unlocking (and thinks it's adorable).

A ladybug would work too. The backspring is typically less stiff than the larger knives. I would be tempted to put a rubberband through the hole if the detent is loose and she plans to free-purse or keychain it.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I agree meercats are perfect they are just like the salsa and "s" but if you want class the delicate with Damascus the box has em inured and blue
Invective

Post by Invective »

I'm gonna throw my hat in for the MeerKat as well. It's a great little knife and one of the main things I like about it besides the ergos is the ability to close it one handed without getting your fingers in the path of the blade. In fact on one of mine, I can even flick it closed like a compression lock. the phantom lock really is one of Spyderco's most underused locks IMO which is a real shame, if it came on some more popular knives I have a feeling it would get quite popular as well!

Also, if your wife really wants a knife that won't open in her purse/pocket, look into a Kershaw Leek. It is assisted opening with a little slide that can be used to prevent the knife from opening entirely until the slide is moved out of the way of the blade. See if that is something that appeals to her! If she doesn't like it on the Leek, I believe the Scallion has it as well and probably a few other knives.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I might suggest the Squeak or a UKPK...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Holland

Post by Holland »

pink squeak could work
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm thinking about the Squeak. It's detent is strong enough to keep it from opening inadvertently in her purse. The choil makes it very save to use despite the lack of a lock. It is easy to open and close. And it is a very cute knife and comes in pink if she likes that kind of thing...

TedP
endgame

Post by endgame »

Pink native if she wants a workhorse
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

My wife carries a green FRN ladybug and loves it. However, if you want a bigger knife that still on the comfortable side for smaller hands I would recommend the junior or des horn. The Junior is the safer option to keep your hand from sliding up on the blade, while the Des Horn is thin, light and pointy. While the meerkat is also a possibility, the phantom lock mechanism takes a bit of getting used to and can get frustrating until you practice with it.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

not a spydie, but what about an Esee Izula or similar small fixed blade with a really good sheath? Emerson Lagriffe? Basically any quality neck knife. Or perhaps the Dodo?
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

The women in my life (wife, mother, aunt, brother in law :) just kidding, but he also loves the Cricket PE) all received a SE Cricket. I"m not certain that helps given the issues mentioned, but a folder with a small ranger band or kydex neck sheath would aid in blade staying closed issue.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

If you are seriously considering a fix blade, take a look at Spyderco's Enuff line.
:spyder:
Dan
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If your wife is like mine, she hates figuring out lock mechanisms and really just wants something for the lightest definitions of edc cutting chores. I would recommend the Pingo unless she likes the one hand opening. The strong detent on the Pingo can barely be overcome with a spirited spydie drop. Give it a look. My second choice for a wife knife would be the H1 dragonfly because of the lack of worrying about rust. She could use it and put it away in any condition without causing you to lose sleep. Just my $.02
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I'm facing the same problem trying to find a knife for my girl, Interested on how this works out. She is about the height of your wife and has very small hands too. :)
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

May not fit all the criteria, but my wife carries a dragonfly tattoo because she likes the way it looks. Little heavy as it is full stainless but very functional.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. I appreciate it. Are there any women on the Forum who could weigh in?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I'm more of a lurker, but I thought this was interesting and I'd throw in my 2cents. My fiancee really likes the Cricket. I only have a regular SS one, but I've been thinking about picking up a CF or a tattoo. It may be smaller than what you're looking for, but in my experience, it locks up great, easy to open and close, amazingly comfortable to use considering the size, it's too cute to be intimidating, but the blade really get's the job done.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This has been interesting. Thanks to Coulro I found a couple of meerkats for sale. I want to find one and see if she can operate it before I spend the money (shipping is a killer!). I have also thought of the squeak. Any thoughts?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Invective wrote:Also, if your wife really wants a knife that won't open in her purse/pocket, look into a Kershaw Leek. It is assisted opening with a little slide that can be used to prevent the knife from opening entirely until the slide is moved out of the way of the blade. See if that is something that appeals to her! If she doesn't like it on the Leek, I believe the Scallion has it as well and probably a few other knives.
I have a couple in storage. They are illegal, here, where I am working at this time :(

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ALLHSS

Post by ALLHSS »

I Got my lady a pink squeak. I knew She would want a very socially accepted but safe and useful knife. The squeak is well under 3 inches but long enough for general stuff, has relatively good steel, the frn handles ensure strength, And has awesome ergonomics (even with very small hands). The best thing about it for you though is that its a spyderco slipjoint (slipit) which means it definitely won't open accidentally and won't close while she's holding it (because of the choil), while still being one handed open. Its a great little knife, plus it comes in pink!
ALLHSS

Post by ALLHSS »

Doc Dan wrote:This has been interesting. Thanks to Coulro I found a couple of meerkats for sale. I want to find one and see if she can operate it before I spend the money (shipping is a killer!). I have also thought of the squeak. Any thoughts?
I actually didn't get to this post before suggesting the squeak. Check out my previous post. The squeak is a great knife. I liked the one I got my lady so much I'm planning on getting myself one for watch pocket carry. Which reminds me something I forgot to say in my previous post, the squeak is small enough it easily fits in those ridiculous "pockets" they sow into women's pants (or a purse, etc).