Spyderco Salt and Delica freehand zerogrind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:That's darn impressive. I can almost see myself doing one, but I think I'd be in tears by the time I picked up the second knife to do it too.
I think I would be in tears the first time I got a scratch on the bevel of the Salt. We all know the more polished the steel, the easier it is to see scratches, and those of us that have used H1 know it scratches easily. Regardless those are 2 beautiful modifications.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's impressive.

That doesn't appear to be a ZDP Delica, it looks like a gray one and I can read VG-10 off the blade in the video.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Those are beautiful but I'm not sure how practical. I know Cliff had a video where he zero ground the primary bevel of a sabre ZDP Delica and then changed it to a thin FFG with a microbevel because sharpening was too beastly.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Wow, that's really nice work. I thought the same thing when I saw that mirrored finish on the H-1, it'll scratch if you look at it wrong!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I Zero ground a Byrd Cara Cara but I sure didn't finish it to that extent. I wanted to send it for testing out with my son who was doing pest control and chipped a couple of other knives which I keep sharpened. He liked the grind but gave it back because he likes his FFG Endura better. He has another chip in that from where a co worker grabbed it, used it and chipped it doing something he shouldn't have. My son has a bad habit of laying knives and tools down as he works. He also needs a lanyard or belt holder to keep it but refuses to use either claiming that either one would get snagged crawling around like he does under houses and squeezing over , around and through piping, wires, etc. So far the correct work knife/carry set up eludes him.

I can sort of relate back from my army days with the LBE gear we had on that really got in the way when going prone, low and high crawling, etc. I had a bayonett come loose that way luckily returned by someone who saw it.

Running and going to ground was painful with that old stuff. The modern soldiers have much, much better gear and boots than we did.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

That guy is pretty responsive to questions/comments if anyone has any.

As far as practical, yes, I doubt few would have the time to maintain them to the same finish. Similar to the Rockstead folders, most people are unlikely to keep the true mirror polish, especially on something like H1 for the exact reason noted.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Cliff Stamp wrote:That guy is pretty responsive to questions/comments if anyone has any.
Wow, he must be VERY patient to answer a bunch of questions on youtube. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

This is what all those junk Delicas are on eBay for: PRACTICE!
;-)
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I'm trying to remember ... isn't the Moran Featherweight (at least my upswept version) a zero grind?
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I must be in the minority because I did not find the appearance/finish on those two knives to be very appealing/attractive. : )

I don't like the mirrored look but to each his own!
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Those blades are done really nice but I wouldn't mirror polish any user knife because the scratches will look worse then if you did a 50 grit with nice even grind lines.