How many Spydies do you own?/Ever forget about one and get excited to "refind" it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
d.2.the.p

How many Spydies do you own?/Ever forget about one and get excited to "refind" it?

Post by d.2.the.p »

So I was lounging around the house yesterday and decided to sharpen a few of my knives that I had been meaning to get to for a couple weeks. I then thought I'd take a rough inventory of my Spydies. I realized that I'm up to around 30 of them give or take a few. I have them spread out in a few places in my apartment, work, my car, backpacks/bags, etc, so I may be missing some. Kinda crazy how many I've accumulated over the past couple years. I carry the vast majority of them (some much more than others), but it may be time to part ways with some and find them a better home where they'll see some use.

Having recently moved several months ago, there were a few that were still boxed up that I hadn't seen in a long time. I had somehow TOTALLY forgotten about this guy and had to bust him out yesterday.

[ATTACH]21900[/ATTACH]
Attachments
awesome.jpg
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I try to keep my inventory down to 5, but at the moment I have 11. I actually feel uncomfortable when I have so many that I can't keep track of what I have (I think the most I had at one time was about 20).
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

Just 4 but just traded one so actually 3 lol,living in the UK I prefer users so the only one I own that locks is my dragonfly, favourite is my ukpk and grasshopper,
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Shakyamuni wrote:I actually feel uncomfortable when I have so many that I can't keep track of what I have (I think the most I had at one time was about 20).
I hear you. It made me feel way too consumerist. To be honest, I could stand to part with at least a third if not half of them. I think that will be happening very soon.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

d.2.the.p wrote:so I may be missing some. Kinda crazy how many I've accumulated over the past couple years. I carry the vast majority of them (some much more than others), but it may be time to part ways with some and find them a better home where they'll see some use.

Having recently moved several months ago, there were a few that were still boxed up that I hadn't seen in a long time. I had somehow TOTALLY forgotten about this guy and had to bust him out yesterday.

[ATTACH]21900[/ATTACH]
You are welcome to send any others that you"forgot" about to me.
Seriously, I have a similar problem keeping up with my 52, or 53, or...... Spydies!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I currently have 14 or so, as listed in my signature, but I tend to forget the little tiny ones I've got piled here or there. I know for a fact that there's a bug on one of my keychains that I haven't listed, and there's a decent chance I have at least one or two other small Spyderco knives sitting in a backpack or messenger back somewhere. I also remember buying a handful of Byrds from REI when they were on clearance, intending to have them as spare knives to give out to people who could use a decent knife. I have no idea how many of them I still have buried in a box somewhere in my pile of gear.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I do. I will admit that I have a few that are more for collecting than using and I'll go through and hold one and think how much I love it...and then often will go back to carrying my usual group. But there are some that do pop back into the rotation...the Native 4 is one.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I never forget but I do fall in love over and over. I routinely take breaks from my Para 2 just because it can hog pocket time real easy and when I come back around to it I'm always reminded of why I like it so much. I get that with most of my knives, otherwise I probably wouldn't own them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Evil D wrote:I never forget but I do fall in love over and over. I routinely take breaks from my Para 2 just because it can hog pocket time real easy and when I come back around to it I'm always reminded of why I like it so much. I get that with most of my knives, otherwise I probably wouldn't own them.
I definitely have a few that get most of the spotlight or that I keep coming back to. My CF Caly 3 has been my most recent rekindled love affair. The ones that don't see much use were ones that I thought would be something I like and then didn't turn out to be what I wanted for whatever reason. Not having anywhere that I can handle knives nearby, I generally have to rely on reviews online before buying something. These are the ones that will get sold off.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I have more knives than I probably should - but I've been collecting/using/fondling them for over 50 years... And you know, I don't have that many vices other than buying the occasional Spydie - so I'm OK with that. :)

TedP
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I keep intending to sit down and take an exact inventory -- take a picture of each knife and put it in a database, if nothing else for insurance purposes. I'll admit to sometimes forgetting I had already pre-ordered a certain model, then I see it available somewhere else and wind up with a duplicate (and some of the really special ones like CF/M390 Millie I intentionally order a "pre-need replacement") :) .

Since I haven't got around to actually taking inventory, I'll just have to guess though, but it's approaching 100, plus a lot of ESEE's, and a few other brands. Since I'm not blowing my money on booze and women, I've got to spend it on something, right? :D

And not all of mine are super-expensive, I have bugs and grasshoppers in there too.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

I never count how many of anything that I have. I know that I have too many knives
and probably too many guns by some standards. I know where all of my guns are and
most of my knives. I have tools here and there where I need them. As long as I have
one ready when I need it, that's about all I care.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have in the neighborhood of 200 Spydies. I pretty much know where they all are, and I keep most of them accessible so they can be easily handled and appreciated regularly. But, one will occasionally get left in a suitcase or bag, to be rediscovered at a later date. I recently discovered my Chokwe that had slid underneath something on my desk and was momentarily forgotten. It was nice to get reacquainted with that one. My Dragonfly Tattoo recently ended up in a strange place too, where it was temporarily forgotten. But they're all so special that that doesn't happen often.
:bug-red-white
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm blessed with way more Spydies than I need. My favorites change quite often, which I really like. Some that I'm pretty cold on will suddenly some day be my new favorite. Sometimes, it's from reading this forum, other times, who knows. So, yes, I do "find" them again and get excited. It's nice to have a variety, and not get rid of ones I don't use much... that day may come, and I don't have to be mad at myself.
- best wishes, Jazz.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Jazz wrote:It's nice to have a variety, and not get rid of ones I don't use much... that day may come, and I don't have to be mad at myself.
This is why I hadn't parted with these so far. I've sold one or two down the line to friends, but that's it. And each time I've done that, I've missed it and bought it all over again new. I always go back and forth in my head as to whether I'm being wasteful or just keeping a variety that I'll revisit from time to time.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I used to really not like the Native, for example, now I really like it. Sometimes I mod them. I modded a Caly 3 G10, and always kick myself for doing it. Really wish I had that one again.
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I think I have 7, but two are mules I've never really carried. so five that i Edc.

I have never truly forgotten any, but I hadn't realized I misplaced my tenacious for about a month once. my sister moved and I had to sell her car. I drove it to a concert and stashed my tenacious under the seat. a month later when it finally sold I was cleaning it out and found it...
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I stopped collecting last year when I realized that all the energy, effort, time and money could be spend in another way. Each his own. I sold almost all of the about 50 Spydies I owned. I kept the mules because on each of them is a piece of my own; in wood, G10, leather or micarta. Beside those I also kept about 10 special Spyders, mostly sprints like the Caly 3.5 SB and the Millie CF S90V. I use every-one of them, daily, with lots of pleasure and joy. I am a lucky and satisfied b*$t*rd owning that many knives ;)
However, occasionally I buy (and probaly will sell) a Spyder I like. I know after 20 years 'knifing' what features I like in a good pocket knife or FB. I also will buy interesting mules, not all the mules anymore, since I do like the trying out different steeltypes and making nice handles on knives and leather sheaths. That's my thing here in fortress Europe....
Tom
Holland

Post by Holland »

i have around 18. but 11 of those are a form of a paramilitary which i collect.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jazz wrote:I'm blessed with way more Spydies than I need. My favorites change quite often, which I really like. Some that I'm pretty cold on will suddenly some day be my new favorite. Sometimes, it's from reading this forum, other times, who knows. So, yes, I do "find" them again and get excited. It's nice to have a variety, and not get rid of ones I don't use much... that day may come, and I don't have to be mad at myself.
I heard in Alberta that people display their knives in their living rooms in a block of ice, is that true? That would only be for the winter I am sure, I hear it warms up for a couple of weeks some tome around the end of July beginning of August.