Iconic spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBR

Post by KBR »

IMHO, the Spyderco flagship is the Military, with the Police, Endura, Delica and Native models close behind.

"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think the Top three "flagship models" would be Military, Police, Delica

Honorable mention (iconic models) goes to:
Caly (Jr, 3, 3.5)
Manix 2
Stretch
Native
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

The Deacon wrote:Worker - Sal's first design and Spyderco's first knife
Police - longest in continuous production
C15 Terzuola - Spyderco's first collaboration model
Stretch - my personal choice as Spyderco's best EDC carry design
Out of curiosity Deacon, can you describe what it is about the Stretch that makes it tops on your EDC list?

Thanks,
JD
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Ladybugs are definitely iconic models.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

What, no Bradley Folder??

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tr4022 wrote:What, no Bradley Folder??

Tod
AS nice as the Bradley is it's just not one of the old school icons unfortunately. My C-60 Ayoob comes a lot closer to being an "ICONIC SPYDER" than many of the newer ones.

I still say don't overlook the Catcherman, Renegade, Blackhawk and Worker models. And you certainly can't overlook any of Spyderco's great Hawkbills and particularly the HARPY that has withstood the test of time. Albeit I don't see any models that are really more iconic than the POLICE, Military or even the Endura for that matter. Those models are still timeless and in demand and probably will be for some time to come. The ones that came out of the gate early are the ones that will always tattoo my memory.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
shimage

Post by shimage »

To me, flagship means the best, most-expensive model. Eg, gold-ring lenses for Nikon (red-ring for Canon) would be their flagship lenses. I'm not sure how that translates to Spyderco's knife models. On the other hand, iconic, to me, suggests the models that are most closely associated with the brand. Those would basically be the knives that people not overly familiar with Spyderco could be expected to recognize (as spydercos, if not by name): Police, Military, Endura, Delica, Ladybug ... and I guess the Harpy and Civilian/Matriarch ... maybe the Dragonfly and Native.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

shimage wrote:To me, flagship means the best, most-expensive model. Eg, gold-ring lenses for Nikon (red-ring for Canon) would be their flagship lenses. I'm not sure how that translates to Spyderco's knife models. On the other hand, iconic, to me, suggests the models that are most closely associated with the brand. Those would basically be the knives that people not overly familiar with Spyderco could be expected to recognize (as spydercos, if not by name): Police, Military, Endura, Delica, Ladybug ... and I guess the Harpy and Civilian/Matriarch ... maybe the Dragonfly and Native.
I'm not necessarily arguing the point you made because in many ways you did make a couple of good points to consider. But I think what they mean by "ICONIC SPYDER" are the ones that were mainly responsible for putting Spyderco in the mainstream of the market to begin with. The Police, Military and Harpy are all 3 very much time tested.

Now as far as expensive models go the one model I would vote for to be in the ICONIC group would be the elusive and rare Spyderco Titanium ATR model. To me everything on that model just radiates Spyderco's product evolution. I also think to some degree the Dodo and the original fixed blade Temperance really define Spyderco's uniqueness and functionality.

I guess this is one of those deals where it's more or less in the eye of the beholder as to what each person thinks is the ICONIC SPYDER that made them a fan of Spyderco in the first place. But the 2 that immediately attracted me from the beginning of my interest in Spyderco knives was the serrated Police model and the Spyderedged Mariner>> those are truly ICONIC in my opinion and they are what comes to mind when I think of Spyderco's trademark and logo.
shimage

Post by shimage »

I guess the reason I specified "people not overly familiar with Spyderco" is that they outnumbered the rest of us by a significant margin. To the extent that Spyderco can be represented by a set of knives, I think its representation is defined by the knives that the majority of people who know anything about Spyderco associate with the brand. Note that none of the knives I listed are models that made me a fan of the brand; they are just the models that fit my definition of "iconic". I thought about including the mariner, and I probably should have.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

shimage wrote:I guess the reason I specified "people not overly familiar with Spyderco" is that they outnumbered the rest of us by a significant margin. To the extent that Spyderco can be represented by a set of knives, I think its representation is defined by the knives that the majority of people who know anything about Spyderco associate with the brand. Note that none of the knives I listed are models that made me a fan of the brand; they are just the models that fit my definition of "iconic". I thought about including the mariner, and I probably should have.
Agreed 100%.

It should be noted that the title of the thread says 'iconic' and the body of the first post says 'flagship'. That's where I think some of the confusion came in. Those two aren't always interchangeable and don't always mean the same thing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Personally when I think of Spyderco the models that come to mind first are the Delica/Endura...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'm shocked that no one has said it, C46 Bob Lum tanto. It is the first interpretation of traditional Japanese cutlery that truly bridged the gap between Japanese and American ideals. I look at the blade on it and see clean, precision bevels and feel as if the steel has a spirit. I would empty my savings account for a tamahagane blade with a hamon on a Lum folder!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dodge wrote:I'm shocked that no one has said it, C46 Bob Lum tanto. It is the first interpretation of traditional Japanese cutlery that truly bridged the gap between Japanese and American ideals. I look at the blade on it and see clean, precision bevels and feel as if the steel has a spirit. I would empty my savings account for a tamahagane blade with a hamon on a Lum folder!
I'm sure that the Lum Tanto was a groundbreaking knife but not very representative of Spyderco as an icon. Just IMHO, of course.
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

I actually started my Spyderco collection based on what I viewed as the "flagship" or most popular models, I started with the Native, which is gone unfortunatly, I miss that knife about every day :( then the Tenacious, which I gifted to a friend so I feel good about that one :D now I'm down to these:

SpyderNation #0705
oldgoat

Post by oldgoat »

the worker was my first.
police
military
paramilitary 2
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

for me the Military tops them all, after that Endura or Delica.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
JD Spydo

In HOUSE models

Post by JD Spydo »

I think you've just got to focus most of all on the "IN HOUSE" designs. Another IN HOUSE design that comes to mind that really stood out in the "Spyderco Story" book is the Civilian model. That model spawned the Cricket and Matriarch and really gave Spyderco a place on the corner so to speak with those great "Reverse S" designs which I know of no other knife company that does those.

Spyderco's fixed blades that really bare the company's identity are the 2 Temperance models ( 1 & 2)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm sure that the Lum Tanto was a groundbreaking knife but not very representative of Spyderco as an icon. Just IMHO, of course.
I could be wrong on this, but The folding Lum tanto was made in 1997/98 ish. Could this be the first venture into ethnic interpretive cutlery for Spyderco? If this where the case then it is indeed iconic as Spyderco is known for its experimentation with steels and cultural designs.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
CJZ

Post by CJZ »

Endura, Delica, PM2, Manix, Tenacious, Police
Jester, Manix2, Delica, Endura, H1 Hawkbill Serrated Ladybug, Aventura, Dragonfly, G10 Endura. Got any of these? Email me.