G-10 Military - some general questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
matze

G-10 Military - some general questions

Post by matze »

Hello,
I'm brand new here and I'm an owner of a G-10 Military (S30V) since three months but I'm a little bit constrained to using it. What do you think about THIS ?
Is it too excessive?
I use my Military in a simmilar way, but without flurry blows and without batoning. In the Spyderco catalog I've read "hard use folder". What means it exactly? I created my own definition of hard using of a folder: every kind of cutting (also with high pressure) in several materials with only one hand. No blows and no batoning! Is this correct?

Look at this picture:
[ATTACH]21206[/ATTACH]
It's the liner position of my Military after an opening. What are your opinions? Is this to far to the right? If I cut with high pressure, the liner moves to the right. It means that the angle of sideway tripping increases.

By putting of high pressure on the spine you can see that the liner slides to the release-position, but doesn't fail. If I release the pressure the liner turns to the same position as shown in the picture. A spine-whack test on a piece of wood was successful, the blade didn't close. What do you think about the liner movement? It's OK or not? Can I relay on my liner?

I really love my Military because of its cutting performance and its pretty design. But I'm also a little concerned because of the liner movement.
Attachments
liner.jpg
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Hard use is a term used by many to discribe a knife that can withstand a lot of side latteral loads, beating and somewhat massive neglect to a knife without the knife having any issues.

Many feel that a hard use knife is rather suited for fixed blades.

The military was NOT designed as a hard use knife, but a knife for hard cutting chores, from my use, yes it works perfectly.

Now, regarding the lock, IMO, with force applied when cutting and it moves over, this is normal.

However, when you apply moderate pressure to the spine with a static load and the locks slips, not a good sign and needs to be sent in.

I have done extensive posts about liner lock designs, how to do a static load test with your hands (a spine wack is a shock load and only tests the nesting IMO) etc, however can't do links now, on the phone. Will post it when I have a chance.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! Hard use means different things to different people. I would say that the Military will not break if you use it to your definition.
msierant

Post by msierant »

greetings,
after looking at your photo, i can't figure why your right-side liner is showing. all my military's [4 of em] have the liners so deeply nested, you can't hardly see them looking straight down. also, you're stop pin look odd. was this knife ever disassembled? like i said, never saw a millie with the liner hanging out in the breeze. make sure this thing is all tightened down. just my thoughts after seeing your pix. good luck.
mike
matze

Post by matze »

@msierant, my millie wasn't disassembled. All screws are tightened well and the stop pin is really OK. Why do you mean, it looks odd? Maybe the pic isn't perfect because of the light and also because of the angle in which the pic was made. I'm sure it wasn't exactly 90 degrees. But you're right, I can see the edge of the right liner. I think, I do it like @Zenith said and will send it in.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I consider my Millie a hard-use knife... for the use I put it to... it is a demon on cardboard, zip-ties tremble before it's serrations... mail, package-tape, clam-shell packaging, even apples are no match for my millie... however, if I want to chop up a small tree... well, that is what fixed-blade knives (and axes and machetes) are for...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

oh, and after 8 years of daily carry and use, the liner-lock hasn't moved a bit... (love the 'snap' of the liner when it opens!)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

your definition of hard use sounds like a realistic definition. The lock moving over is normal under hard cutting tasks
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That's where my liner is positioned and it fills me with nothing but confidence.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Military has also become one of my most appreciated knives. I only have a G10 digicam version and a CF M390 version which I bought direct from Spyderco. Out of these two blades, I like the CF version the most.

Having used one one for a few months on a daily basis, I have come to appreciate its solid construction. So far, I have no complaints.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.