just got my Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ViperGTS

just got my Caly 3

Post by ViperGTS »

Great knife!

Too soon to provide a review but this will be my new edc.

My question is...does anyone know what size torx to remove the clip?

Thanks!
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

My Caly 3.5 takes a T8, it shoud be the same as your Caly 3.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Thanks jnichols!

I had a T9 that appeared to fit but obviously didn't.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Which version did you get? ZDP? VG10? Damascus?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Hey David,

I got a CF ZDP. Love the deep carry clip too.

I actually want move the clip to the other side, I'm a lefty.

I know its still so new for me, but I'm diggin over my Sage now which I didn't think would be possible.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

Just curious ....... What do you like about it that makes it better than your Sage? I've been wondering about the Caly 3 but it seems like basically a Sage without a liner lock.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I wouldn't say it's better, but I do prefer the sleekness of it. The Sage is very wide, with a much wider grip and much larger blade. The blade lengths of these two are the same, but the Caly just has a better more comfortable grip for me. I really like the shape of the Caly blade. The thumb ramp (which I initially thought was very large and awkward looking from pics) is much nicer when handling.

It's almost like a very nice delica. If you have a delica I would say that would be the most similar I could compare it to as far as ergonomics go. The handle is slightly shorter than the delica's but packs a larger blade.

I have a Sage 2 that I'm comparing it to. I don't have a Sage 1 but if I did I would say the CF on the Sage is nicer. I like the texture of it whereas the Caly is smooth. I have a Chaparral that I can compare it with.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the CF Caly 3 over the Sage 1 because i just think the ergonomics are better. That's not to say the Sage's are bad, just not as good.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I have a Caly 3.5 CF/ZDP and a Sage 1. I do agree that I like the Caly better, but it's a real close choice. The Sage 1 is also a fine knife.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Evil D wrote:I like the CF Caly 3 over the Sage 1 because i just think the ergonomics are better. That's not to say the Sage's are bad, just not as good.
+1
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill