Tuff.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
edge-e

Tuff.

Post by edge-e »

I wonder what hrc hardness the cpm 3v on the new tuff folder will be at?
Does anyone have an idea..since it is a folder, and 3v is a tough steel to begin with, it would be nice to see at a high hardness for best edge retention..Maybe in the 65 range..? Just a thought.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I'd imagine it in the 58-60 range to retain tuffness :D , any harder and I imagine it becomes brittle. This guess is based on the hardness of various fixed blades from other manufacturers.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Optimal RC depends more on the specific steel than intended application. They all have their own personalities and of course a range from "soft" to "hard", but running something like 3V at ZDP-189 hardness levels would net very little (if any) advantages as the negatives would quickly become apparent.

http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodb ... pm3vt.html

"CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

More often than not rc 58 is the target in the cutlery industry. It does great at rc 60 but for hard use fixed blades it doesn't add enough wear resistance to make the drop in toughness worthwhile. It's still plenty tough at rc 60 compared to modern stainless steels but it's got a sweet spot some cutlers like at rc 58. There are exceptions naturally. Jerry Hossum being one. He goes around rc 61 or so on his fixed blades with a convex edge.

Though noted for it's toughness my guess is there will be a few here that are surprised at the quality edge it takes. It gets really sharp.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mastiff wrote:More often than not rc 58 is the target in the cutlery industry. It does great at rc 60 but for hard use fixed blades it doesn't add enough wear resistance to make the drop in toughness worthwhile. It's still plenty tough at rc 60 compared to modern stainless steels but it's got a sweet spot some cutlers like at rc 58. There are exceptions naturally. Jerry Hossum being one. He goes around rc 61 or so on his fixed blades with a convex edge.

Though noted for it's toughness my guess is there will be a few here that are surprised at the quality edge it takes. It gets really sharp.

Joe

My only experience with 3V is a VECP fixed and as you say Joe, it takes a surprisingly fine edge. Quite a reasonably aggressive edge too.

I really like 3V from what I've seen so far. Hopefully the funds will be there when the Tuff is released.
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

I just want the estimated release date from Spyderco.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

austinguy23 wrote:I just want the estimated release date from Spyderco.
Good luck.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I heard that it was going to be Tuesday, Tuff Tuesday..
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BAL wrote:I heard that it was going to be Tuesday, Tuff Tuesday..
Haha! Yes!

Otherwise my best bet is March 10th. That's Chuck Norris' birthday.