Vertical Blade-play, lockback mechanism

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikup

Vertical Blade-play, lockback mechanism

Post by mikup »

Hi, I love Spyderco knives, especially their shapes. I had many of them. But I wasn´t satisfied with the vertical blade-play in lock-back mechanism. I know that there is system of name Tri-ad Lock from Cold Steel. Do you thing, that there is any possibility to modify lock-back with some similar system in Spyderco? Look at the proposal. May it works? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

[ATTACH]20364[/ATTACH]
Attachments
delica triad lock.JPG
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mikup wrote:Hi, I love Spyderco knives, especially their shapes. I had many of them. But I wasn´t satisfied with the vertical blade-play in lock-back mechanism. I know that there is system of name Tri-ad Lock from Cold Steel. Do you thing, that there is any possibility to modify lock-back with some similar system in Spyderco? Look at the proposal. May it works? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

[ATTACH]20364[/ATTACH]
I've had a few CS knives and like the Tri-ad lock. The rest of the knife leaves a little to be desired IMO. They are great for some but not my cup of tea for EDC knives. I keep one for a GREAT tool box/belt knife.

Spyderco is using a different design to reduce or eliminate vertical blade play. That's my understanding for the design anyway. It is on the Chaparral and Sage4 now. They are the only lock backs that have the design that I know of. I have both knives and hope they continue with using the design. Mine have no vertical blade play.

Here is a picture of the Chaparral un-put-together. Notice the post on the tang that moves in the cutout in each liner. When the knife is open as in the picture the post hitting the end of the cutout keeps the blade from moving up as pressure is put on the edge. That is where the vertical play comes from in lock back knives by original design or that's my understanding.
The attachment Chaparral disassembled open.jpg is no longer available

Jack
PS edit
I love both the Sage4 and Chapparal. The Sage4 is a perfect EDC knife for me. TOUGH and my favorite size and feels VERY good in my hand. The Chapparal is a GREAT gent's EDC knife. Smaller, thin and attractive. Have both love both.
Attachments
Chaparral disassembled open.jpg
mikup

Post by mikup »

Great :) thank you. Maybe it will be od Delica or Endura number 5 and on another lockback knives :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The chaparral has the new kind of lockback and from a lot of accounts there's no blade play because of the improvements. I'm also kinda hoping that this improved lock mechanism will be on the chinook 4.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The chaparral has the new kind of lockback and from a lot of accounts there's no blade play because of the improvements. I'm also kinda hoping that this improved lock mechanism will be on the chinook 4.

Where did you get such a big Chaparral? I thought they were all the same size. :)

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe try the Native 5, see if you like the new lock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!