I wish they made a Para 2 with bolt action lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knives-tools

I wish they made a Para 2 with bolt action lock

Post by Knives-tools »

Is it just me or does anybody else think that a para 2 with the bolt action lock used on the sage 3 would be the perfect pocket knife? I love my para 2's but I think adding the bolt action lock to it and you would have the best edc blade to date.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knives-tools wrote:Is it just me or does anybody else think that a para 2 with the bolt action lock used on the sage 3 would be the perfect pocket knife? I love my para 2's but I think adding the bolt action lock to it and you would have the best edc blade to date.
While the bolt-lock is strong I don't think it has the capacity that the Compression lock or other similar ones do. It would also likely eliminate the "open pillar" style of design which people adore.

In the past folks have proposed the CBBL like the Manix2 for the Para2. It was shot down by some of the loyalists. Perhaps it's a case of "if it's not broke don't fix it"?

If the Military hasn't been switched to the compression lock or CBBL, locks designed by Spyderco not Blackie Collins, I just don't predict the Para2 switching. You never know though! :)
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

What Blerv said. It would also needlessly complicate a very simple and effective design that has proven itself over the years.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The comp lock is pretty much bullet proof, the bolt action, where it is strong, may get a bit gunked up with use and not work so well??
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Knives-tools wrote:Is it just me or does anybody else think that a para 2 with the bolt action lock used on the sage 3 would be the perfect pocket knife? I love my para 2's but I think adding the bolt action lock to it and you would have the best edc blade to date.
I'm sure it would be a nice knife. Best EDC knife to date? That'e a lot to hope for. :) Reason being is everyone has their own idea of what is best. I have my idea and everyone else is wrong (see what I mean :) ).

It would surprise me if it actually happened though. The para2 and comp. lock seem to be a standard for the model. Sages are the only one I can think of that the lock changes. There may be some others though.

Jack
Knives-tools

Post by Knives-tools »

All very good points, the only issue I've had with the manix lock is that it's to stiff. I mention the change on the lock for the para 2 just because it is just a slight bit awkward to close one handed, where for me I can easily with the sage 3
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the knife you are talking about is already the Manix 2.

Maybe you just need to get stronger fingers or learn to deal with it being more difficult. To me, more difficult means safer.

I'll take a very difficult to disengage lock if that means it will never accidentally close on me. < I'm sure there are people who will say the opposite.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knives-tools

Post by Knives-tools »

Ya I carried the manix2 for a bit and still have one I carry from time to time, just not when Im using the knife all day. I just like a knife I can hit the lock with my thumb and close it with my pointer finger if I have to. Nothing against the para 2 it's my favorite right now. I was just saying for me a thumb lock style like the sage 3 would be nice
Holland

Post by Holland »

There is no way to improve the para2 imo
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Whatever it would be, it would no longer be a para 2. Besides what's wrong with the sage 3?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

i find it really easy to close with one hand, and to be honest, I dont see why you would want to change a comp lock...
Knives-tools

Post by Knives-tools »

Nothing's wrong with the sage 3, I just like the blade shape, thumb hole and general size of the para 2
computernut

Post by computernut »

The Bolt Action Lock is one of my favourite locks. I'd love a 3.5" blade version of the Sage3 but I think the Para2 should be left alone.

My wish list is the BAL, Twill-CF, 3.5" blade (HG?), 13mm hole (I find the 14mm slightly too big), hour-glass clip. Essentially take my 3 favourite knives (Para2, Sage3, and Terzuola Slipit) and roll them into one ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

One of the things I really like about the Para and Para2 is the slick sides. Adding the bolt action would be a major negative in my opinion.
Sht

Post by Sht »

I'd say unless your a lefty why would you want a downgrade.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Loosen the pivot, but not to the point of blade-play, and the blade will just fall down. Then use your pointer finger to close it from the halfway point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Donut

Post by Donut »

Knives-tools wrote:I just like a knife I can hit the lock with my thumb and close it with my pointer finger if I have to.
So, are you opposed to unlocking it like this?

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I like the Para2 just like it is. Easy to open, love that swinging blade
and easy to close.

Love the Manix, but the compression lock on the Para is part of it being a Para.
Knives-tools

Post by Knives-tools »

Ya I wouldn't unlock it like that, in that position the blade would fall and hit your fingers. If your laying on your back working and the knife is upside down all I'm saying it's easier to close for me if I could unlock it with my thumb and push close with my pointer from time to time.

I think people are looking at my thoughts as a knock against the para 2, it's in my pocket everyday and I love the knife, that being said what I don't have is a knife similar to the para 2 with a bolt action lock. It doesn't have to be called the para 2 so that model can stay the same. Maybe they come up with a new model, with all the different styles of locks and blade shapes they have (and I have a lot of them) I was just saying what I would like to purchase. I don't think there is anything wrong to want different style locks on your own knives for different reasons.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Knives-tools wrote:Ya I wouldn't unlock it like that, in that position the blade would fall and hit your fingers. If your laying on your back working and the knife is upside down all I'm saying it's easier to close for me if I could unlock it with my thumb and push close with my pointer from time to time.

I think people are looking at my thoughts as a knock against the para 2, it's in my pocket everyday and I love the knife, that being said what I don't have is a knife similar to the para 2 with a bolt action lock. It doesn't have to be called the para 2 so that model can stay the same. Maybe they come up with a new model, with all the different styles of locks and blade shapes they have (and I have a lot of them) I was just saying what I would like to purchase. I don't think there is anything wrong to want different style locks on your own knives for different reasons.

Hello, no we are not taking your idea as a knock against a para 2. You're just not asking for a minor tweak on a knife. You are asking for a complete re-design. As has been mentioned before, Spyderco is operating at/near capacity. To ask them to design and make another model is to take away more production capacity from already well selling and extremely popular models. For example: A lot of people are waiting for the Yo2, are you seriously asking Spyderco to halt production on that or another popular model just so they can design and produce another model which, IMHO is just a repetitive model?

BTW, it's pretty easy to close a comp lock with one hand.

[video=youtube;AfIsxpjXyUI]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIsxpjXyUI[/video]

Pretty easy, no?