Opinions of the final look of the TUFF?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like the newest version of the TUFF?

YES
52%
NO
26%
NEVER LIKED THE DESIGN
22%

Total votes: 125

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I have been anticipating this knife for a long time now. Was I thrilled with the dimples? No. Do I trust Spyderco and Mr. Schempp? Yes. I understand why some people are turned off by the change but like Evil D mentioned, I'm gonna wait until it's in my hand before I judge the knife. I'm just glad it's coming out...I started to think I would see a unicorn before I saw the Tuff. ;) :D
:spyder:
Dan
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dbcad wrote:This model will most likely be out of my price range. Dimples don't bother me. As long as the handle is functional which it looks to be with that sweet negative blade angle, it's fine for me. The Tuff looks to be big, strong like bull :) I would love to try one.
+1
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Looks interesting. :)

Have to have one in hand before I form any opinion on it though.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I've never thought that it was in any way a good looking knife. To me it looks awkward and the fact that there is a MASSIVE choil taking up far far far too much valuable real estate makes it a definite no for me.
+1
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

I have to see how thick the edge will be..I don't need a pocket axe. If it is ground thin enough to use as a
cutting tool, then I would get one. I love Ti frame locks, and I might still consider it anyways.. :cool:
kens73

Post by kens73 »

Ive always liked the design :D
Its on my must have list along with Damascus Caly3
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Personally Like the divots. The handle is great! I agree however that the choil limits the amount of usable edge. I personally won't get.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I like it better now than ever, but I still probably won't get one. I'd like to play with 3V steel, but I don't know that I'd have use for a folding knife of this type. Folding knives for me are slicers and cutters, not something to be hammered on like a light-duty fixed blade. I don't have a problem with other people that do that; it's just not for me. I like the looks of the ergonomics on this, but would like to hold one as well. Many of the Schempp designs need to be held to be understood and not just in one grip either. Trading the checkering for dimples would probably mean it's a lot more likely to get carried and used on a daily basis. I can't see many people carrying this on a daily basis period, but even less with a handle that has the aggressive checkering.

It's also a heavy beast of a knife and that's a turn-off for me. I tend to carry a lot of stuff on me on a daily basis and the weight adds up quickly. It's not like a LEO duty belt or Doc Snubnose, but my pants weigh 10+ lbs.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Judging this knife on looks alone is tempting, but in the end you'll miss a lot if not the entire point of this design. This knife will prove itself in the hand of the user. I disliked the spiked pattern of last year's model, even more afte comparing it to the current dimpled version, the spikes would eat up pants pockets in no time. The divots feel much better in the hand and the draw was much smoother from a pocket. I am not sure about getting one, but this has nothing to do with the divots. I'm simply not looking for big, thick and tough folder. I'm much more interested in smaller refined slicers like the upcoming Chaparral Ti.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

As i've said - it cannot come soon enough -... Love the design and i think it will be one **** of a beast Bring it on... :cool:
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Personally, I think they ruined the knife with the new pattern. I would be in love without them. That's just my $.02
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its interesting how people will give an opinion about an aestheticism and qualify it with a functionality issue.
Yes dimples may be more functional/ comfortable, but that doesnt mean they cant be done in an aesthetically pleasing way. I agree with the OP, the first manifestation of the tough looked hot, there was order to the pattern of the rockstar-belt pyramids. There is no pattern to the dimples. And i dont believe the sporadic placement has anything to do with ergonomics, just underdeveloped design subtleties. I want a knife that turns me on, why should i settle for something and overlook important minutae? All knives cut, i need more than that.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a tad too long and choiled for me too.

That said few of us have ever held the current prototype let alone the before AND after prototype. If they (like Wouter) say it works better I have to trust them. If I wanted cool and trendy over functional I wouldn't be buying Spyderco.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Tuff might be an absolute ergonomic and functional masterpiece. But, since most of us have never held it, we are limited to discussing aesthetics. The pyramids may have been too rough in the prototype, but looked fittingly "tuff" and industrial. There's something about the dimples that seems unnecessarily cheesy and gaudy to me. I'm sure they would've been just as distasteful to me even if I hadn't seen the previous checkered design. But, as I said before, I'll still eventually get one. It still looks like an awesome knife, and I like pretty much everything else about it. But my excitement is considerably diminished (only because of my personal sense of aesthetics).

I expect that once I get it, it will look much better in person, and I'll grow to like it just fine. :D
:bug-red-white
v8r

Post by v8r »

I like it myself, and unless I'm missing something it hasn't been released yet. We will not know what it looks like until they hit the street. For example , I used to think the Kris was one of the ugliest knives I had ever seen until I held one in my hand at a knife shop. After holding it the knife made perfect sense.
I hope to see one at the Blade show. I bet it's pretty cool in person.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Really at the price someone could have it rescaled (at least the g10) and it would still be the highest value CPM-3v folder on the market. Wait, isnt it the only one? :)
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I think it looks good. I'm more interested in the knife for the CPM 3V steel and the robust Schempp design though. The divots don't really bother me or turn me on. I'm sure they serve a purpose for those who envisioned them.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Really at the price someone could have it rescaled (at least the g10) and it would still be the highest value CPM-3v folder on the market. Wait, isnt it the only one? :)
Jet B wrote:I think it looks good. I'm more interested in the knife for the CPM 3V steel and the robust Schempp design though. The divots don't really bother me or turn me on. I'm sure they serve a purpose for those who envisioned them.
This!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm all about a 50/50 choil but i do agree this one is a little over kill. It helps if you just accept the fact that part of the blade is designed to BE part of the handle. Then at least you can use denial to convince yourself that you didn't "lose any edge" lol.

I can't help but get the urge to chop something when i look at this knife. The negative angle of the blade and the steel combine to make a sort of hatchet in folder form. I can't wait to see how strong this thing is.

Also you know the fact that people are so divided about the looks and design is exactly why this knife has high dollar collector knife written all over it, just like the Captain and so many other odd looking knives that have come and gone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

The dimples are not very estetic but they work. Spyderco is about performance. This knife goes into the heavy duty category but it is still a folding knife and has to perform an even wider range of functions if it is to see pocket time. The blade design is to give maximum performance with minimum weight, one reason for the fuller. As Sal would say no more than necessary, no less than perfection. The large choil also has a reason. When choking up on the knife even the blade the choil accommodates the second or third finger at an angle. I say blade because the blade and choil is a grip as well on this folder, enabling very precise work with the tip when conditions call for it.
This knife is a beast, I believe it is giving the user the most strength for weight ratio. It is not for everbody, but those that have use and need such a tool I think will find it in the Tuff. It was never meant to replace the Kiwi in deacons pocket or they would offer a south paw version. Any comments or critices are appreciated, tastes very and needs very, that is how we learn....Thanks for the comments...Take Care...Ed