Gayle Bradley vs Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Carbon fiber scales over G10, CPM-M4 blade over 154CM. ;)
waterford

Post by waterford »

Ok, maybe I will re-consider the GB after all!
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

waterford wrote:Thanks guys,

As a lefty, it appears that the Para 2 is NOT very lefty freindly, as opposed to the Manix 2 which is FULLY ambidextrous, correct??
I'm a lefty, too, and I carry a PM2 every day. The comp lock's plenty lefty-friendly; don't let it keep you from getting one.

Post by 1623 »

We can tell you at length all the reasons why the GB is a favorite, but it truly needs to be handled to understand it.

I've owned a Manix 2, own a Para 2 as well as quite a few others made in Golden, Seki and Taichung and within my collection there is simply nothing like the Gayle Bradley.

If you opt to purchase one and decide that you don't care for it, you'll have absolutely no trouble flipping it.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
TBob

Post by TBob »

CPM M4 is incredibly tough and holds a great edge. It's the steel that Gayle Bradley used to win two BladeSports International championships.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
The Student

Post by The Student »

If you would like a Manix in a CPM-M4 I do believe Bento Box Shop still has a stock of them (haven't checked in a while so don't quote me) it is a little more pricey than the others mentioned but I prefer the feel of the Manix over the para2, but you can't go wrong with the GB, it's been in my pocket since I got it.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

1 = "knife"

2 or more = "knives"

We can disgree about a lot, but let's all agree on singular vs plural when it comes to our favorite hobby, K?
waterford

Post by waterford »

Ok, I will find a retailer that carries the Para 2, Manix 2 and the GB and handle all 3 and made my decision.
rycen

Post by rycen »

First no matter which you choose you are supporting a US company. Second shop around because the GB is nowhere near 3 times the cost of a manix 2. More like 35% more.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

What's wrong with having knifes? :p

What would a GB cost if it was made in Golden? Nothing wrong with buying local just to support them but keep in mind your still buying from an American company in the end even if the knifes :p are made off-shore.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

waterford wrote:Ok, I will find a retailer that carries the Para 2, Manix 2 and the GB and handle all 3 and made my decision.
This is definitely the way to go with these 3 knives. As you handle them, let the knives make the purchase decision for you. Pick the one that seems to be the best choice for your uses after you've handled them.

I've had multiples of all 3 models. The Para 1 is still my fav Spyderco, the P2 works as well or better than the P1, I just don't like the longer blade, and I'm picking up another GB this coming week because the F&F & performance of my previous 2 was always outstanding. I never liked any of the Manix series, original or BB lock models, but that's entirely a personal and subjective opinion. The knives have always been fine performers.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't think Spyderco is saving any money producing knives in Taichung at the very modern facility with world class quality control. Sal has stated so much himself, especially considering having to buy and ship the steel over, then back again in a finished product.

Companies with the capabilities to do what Moki, Seki Cut, Taichung, and yes, Golden factory itself are not very common. Often when a company finds one somewhere they attempt to keep the factory a sort of trade secret as long as they can because other companies, competitors in the cutlery business will be doing their darnedest to schedule production time for themselves. There is currently more demand for production time than there is production capacity. That, more than any notion of saving money (which uninformed people think is the cause), drives the US companies like Spyderco to search out more modern factories with a certain type of very skilled set of workers, management and equipment that is needed to run a contract for say, 600 to 1200 knives with everything to spec, no more than X QC defects, and done and ready for delivery between the 15th of Febtober, and the first of Juneuary. Blades have to have edges spec out at certain angles, width at edge, Blade hardness between rc XX and rc XY, Rocker arm of 614 steel at a hardness between rc zz, and rc zy etc, etc. It's actually much more complicated than this but we'll keep it simple due to my lousy typing.

So, there is no cost advantage producing your product in the Taichung facility ( Sal refers to them as "vendors" ). Taiwan is not China By the way, which is a different set of numbers, problems, rules and customs to deal with especially when you want to produce a consistently good quality product in a place with a good reputation, the skill set of workers and equipment needed. Not getting any further into china as that dredges up peoples experience with knock offs, and $1.99 gas station knives.

Alright, Now you have a relationship with a good company in another country and you are almost getting the amount of production time you would like to have scheduled, what do you do?

Keep enlarging your own factory space, equipment, and begin hiring and training folks to do it the Spyderco/Golden way. As those that have been around for a while know, that is the plan that Spyderco is following. There are no more Camillus, or Schrade factories that you could have a run of knives made for you here. You essentially have to enlarge, and train your own and hopefully do it funded and not gamble on a large bank loan and/ or public Initial offering of stock to keep Spyderco what it is, and not a company that does go out of it's way to produce the cheapest knife they can sell at the highest profit margin they can squeeze out until they too go under like so many before.

We all recognize this is not Spyderco's business ethos. They have set margins no matter the demand, and even do almost non profit projects like the mule team which we've come to almost take for granted as not the extraordinary project it really is. Last but not least is Spyderco's actual charity work, donations of money and product.

I can go on but there's not a lot more to say that I haven't already decided I was too lazy to type out. :D

Do some research before you lump Spyderco into any supposed group of factories that go overseas for a higher profit margin. Simple research will reveal all you need to know.

joe

By the way, Like Chuck I had to get a second Bradley I liked it so much.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

We are truly privileged to buy the knives we like in a world where the very young die of malnutrition or hunger. In a world where countries destroy excess food stocks rather than share with the less fortunate.

Anyway, as I would drink pure water from the USA and Taiwan, I will buy a Spyderco from wherever it's made if I like it and can afford it. Because the story behind the product is as pure as that water.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome waterford :) This is the place to find out about your potential Spydies ;)

Judging from the knives I have :spyder: is kind of picky about the artisans it contracts to produce some of their knives. Some of the Japanese makers have worked with :spyder: for decades. You felt the quality oozing from the Manix. The same quality oozes from the makers in asia. I feel it in the Delica, Urban, and PPT continuously.

The Japanese are a proud people with a long tradition fashioning blades. Seki City is a city traditionally known for the quality blades it produces. Japanese makers prefer their own materials, hence VG-10, ZDP189 etc. vs the S30V, S35V, BD1, CTS-XHP etc. that you see from Golden.

The Taichung Taiwan makers use materials exported to them from America. What they did with the materials in the Bradley and PPT is exemplary. Both ooze quality, and tick it up a notch as all inspired products show.

I liked the Manix2 that I had. Good, quality, solid, Innovative and strong knife :D The Bradley at almost twice the cost ticks it up a notch with CPM M4 blade steel, beautifully thick liners and carbon fiber scales. It's a very heavy duty gentlemans knife, almost a contradiction in terms :eek:

It's not a good idea to develop preconceptions about Spyderco knives based on country of manufacture. It's all about the maker no matter which part of the world they're from. There are fabulous artisans everywhere :D

Couldn't resist a pic ;)
Attachments
brdley and damascus small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

waterford wrote:Ok, I will find a retailer that carries the Para 2, Manix 2 and the GB and handle all 3 and made my decision.
Lots of opinions in this thread and in other threads in the forum... :) All three are great knives. The Para2 is currently so popular that it may be hard to find one at a dealer - Spyderco is having trouble keeping up with demand. Personal preference varies a lot, but my choice would probably be the Para2 if I had to pick just one. I like the way it fits in the hand better, and it is a little lighter than the GB, which is a real tank due to the thick steel liners (though my GBs are both the original solid liner version; current production uses skeletonized liners that reduce weight a bit). I am primarily a left-handed user so ambidextrous use is important. Obviously the Para2 is not quite a lefty-friendly as the Manix 2, but I find both the Para2 and the GB easy to use (including one-hand unlocking) in either hand. The Para2 took a little more practice than the GB, but it can be done. :spyder:
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I just don't like anything about the GB . I had the opportunity to handle one at SMKW a few weeks ago and almost cut myself accidentally. It has no choil area and the edge is right there at your finger .I hate to think what would happen if you had an accidental closure.Also it is too slick and straight and you can't lock your hand in like on the Manix. I would recommend any Manix that has a flat ground blade over the GB even the translucent Blue because I really don' like the Manix with hollow ground blade. I have the original manix the manix 2 xl and translucent Blue and especially like the later two.
mley1

Post by mley1 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I just don't like anything about the GB . I had the opportunity to handle one at SMKW a few weeks ago and almost cut myself accidentally. It has no choil area and the edge is right there at your finger .I hate to think what would happen if you had an accidental closure.Also it is too slick and straight and you can't lock your hand in like on the Manix. I would recommend any Manix that has a flat ground blade over the GB even the translucent Blue because I really don' like the Manix with hollow ground blade. I have the original manix the manix 2 xl and translucent Blue and especially like the later two.
How does the Manix2 XL carry? Is it as heavy as the GB? I've been eyeing the Manix2 XL, but hadn't had a chance to handle one. The thing that concerns me about the Manix platform is the lock. The two I handled required me to grasp both sides to unlock it. It didn't want to unlock by pushing one side. And, the GB was easy for me to unlock. Of course it could have been my technique. I don't know. I do like the Manix2 and XL's looks, especially the XL model.
Thanks,

Marty
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I just don't like anything about the GB . I had the opportunity to handle one at SMKW a few weeks ago and almost cut myself accidentally. It has no choil area and the edge is right there at your finger .I hate to think what would happen if you had an accidental closure.Also it is too slick and straight and you can't lock your hand in like on the Manix.
I hear this every so often and it just doesn't track for me. GB locks right into my hand like it was custom designed for me. Been using one since they first shipped and never a single moment where I went "wow, that could have been bad" It's so solid and well built. A totally amazing knife.

Ken
玉鋼
rycen

Post by rycen »

the GB weighs 146 grams
the M2XL weighs 168 grams

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
mley1

Post by mley1 »

Wow! That was quick! Thanks for the info, and the comparison pics. The Manix XL is a pretty large knife. I really like that blade. Very nice. Thanks again for posting the info and pics.
Thanks,

Marty