New Shotgun!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpydieFan

New Shotgun!

Post by SpydieFan »

Went into Scheel's today to look at shotguns, wound up finding this gem for a little over a couple bill's. Planning on putting a 4-shot side saddle on it, and putting an 18.5" barrel on it too. I'll keep the 26" on it now for shooting birds every now and then but it's main purpose will be HD. Also going to get a flashlight mount of some sort. This thing is in great condition! There are no scratches anywhere at all on the metal of the receiver/barrel/etc, and just a few on the wood.

Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, just got it home... but I'll have the chance to test it out on pigeons here right quick. Should be easier to swing than my dad's 870 with the 30" barrel...

Thanks for looking!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Great looking shotgun!!! Is that a Remington 870 express??? I've been lookin at the 870 express for a while, cause my birthdays coming up soon and I'm thinkin about getting one if I have the money.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
BAL

Post by BAL »

Very nice indeed. 870?
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

It's an 870, but it's not the express. It will shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells though. For what I'll use it for that's all I'll ever need. I don't hunt, just shoot trap occasionally.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

SpydieFan wrote:It's an 870, but it's not the express. It will shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells though. For what I'll use it for that's all I'll ever need. I don't hunt, just shoot trap occasionally.
Ok thx... How long have you been shooting trap?
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

C.L.L 97 wrote:Ok thx... How long have you been shooting trap?
Off and on for about 6 years... nothing professional or even remotely competitive... just out in the pasture with the guys every so often. To this date the best gun I've shot with was a 20ga wingmaster, that gun shot awesomely! I'm hoping I can do pretty good with this gun too. Pigeons are going to die tonight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Very nice. I just got a new 870 Tactical myself. My old (OLD!) 870 needed a replacement. (Actually it's fine, that's just what, I told my wife. ;) )

It's really good at taking the paint off my steel targets.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QSaEOFMafNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Anonymous wrote:Nice shotgun although I prefer handguns for close combat defense for most situations depending on the design of the house and where you sleep. I never used to think about that way until I was forced to use an assault rifle when several men broke into my house. If you are using a gun for defense you should be proficient with it. Assuming that you are a handgun will cover any distance needed in your house but more importantly it will be ideal if you have one or multiple people within arms length unlike a rifle. It depends on your house setup though like how fast can they break into the premises and advance to your position. Just some food for though...
I completely agree. I don't turn 21 for another year and a half, so I'm kind-of screwed on buying handguns. But on my 21st birthday, I ain't going out drinking... I'm buying a pistol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mkd

Post by mkd »

wouldn't hurt yourself to much buying a cz p01 if you can find one!Image
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have two AR-15's and three Glock pistols several other handguns .22's. rifles and handguns. However, if I could own only one gun out of everything I have it would be my Remington Wingmaster 20 guage with smoothbore deer 21" deer barel. No other gun can do what it can. You can hunt all types of birds, use it as a home defense gun and it shoots better than some rifles I have owned with slugs. Put four rounds in the magazine with bird shot first as an attentio getter to let someone know you mean business followed by 2 #4 buckshot then a slug and you have an awesome defense gun. Before you load the magazine push the safety off to take pressure off the firing pin spring and pull the trigger. This way the sound of you racking the slide on the pump gun might scare someone off and you might not have to do something that you eould regret for the rest of your life.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice 870, SpydieFan! I have a few of those myself. :D My 12 ga. Wingmaster has yet to let me down. And talk about versatile! In under a minute, I can switch barrels/accessories for deer hunting, turkey hunting, to shooting clay pigeons.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Anonymous wrote:I would never recommend that as if you are in the legal right to shoot someone.....you are in the legal right to put them down for good and that is what you should do. You don't want a criminal/gang member breaking in to your house then getting shot with bird shot and going to jail......just to come back and kill you. Also, if you are going to use buckshot for self protection you are going to want nothing less than #00 buckshot. If a persons heart is still beating they can still squeeze that trigger and kill you. If they are messed up on PCP then that's even worse as those non-lethal rounds would 100% get you killed as they won't feel ANY pain.
Agree with you here.

Birdshot is not a defensive load. There are no warning shots either. All my guns stay loaded, magazine and chamber, no matter what, all the time. No small children to worry about around the house.

When I get the shorter barrel for it, I'd like to load the first 3 rounds with 00 buck, and the last two with slugs. Either that or all 00 buck with slugs on a side saddle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

SpyderNut wrote:Nice 870, SpydieFan! I have a few of those myself. :D My 12 ga. Wingmaster has yet to let me down. And talk about versatile! In under a minute, I can switch barrels/accessories for deer hunting, turkey hunting, to shooting clay pigeons.
Thank you sir! I'm planning on buying the 18.5" barrel with Rem Choke so I can put some sort of a choke on it to help the pattern of the buckshot.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516311 ... bead-sight

Anyone know where I can find one cheaper??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]