Copper coloration on liners of my para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lefty923

Copper coloration on liners of my para 2

Post by Lefty923 »

I noticed last night a funny copper discoloration on inside the locking liner of my pm2. I don't think its rust, as I keep it clean and well lubricated. And I live in no humidity state. Thoughts?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Does it make your para cut any less better?
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

Doubtful.
SMI

Post by SMI »

I don't think his question was if it would affect cutting ability ;)

I had that same coloration on the tang of a para 2 I sold. Just a small little redish/copper color blotch. Never figured out what it was.

Is it a big splotch or just a small mm sized dot?
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

SMI wrote:I don't think his question was if it would affect cutting ability ;)

I had that same coloration on the tang of a para 2 I sold. Just a small little redish/copper color blotch. Never figured out what it was.

It's not a splotch, is a thin line along the top edge of the liner lock, and a smidge of it on the lock. No place else. Not on the other liners, not on the blade.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SMI wrote:I don't think his question was if it would affect cutting ability ;)

Yup, but my reply implied that the coloration doesn't matter one whit to the knife's function. ;)

I wonder why you guys look at your knives under a microscope.
Lefty923

Post by Lefty923 »

In my experience rust is a bad thing (duh). If this is that, I want to do something about it as rust does affect the performance and function of the knife. If not, I could care less. I've owned many knives for a very long time and this is a first.
mattman

Post by mattman »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I wonder why you guys look at your knives under a microscope.
Because we are knife enthusiasts, that's why.

And what better place to go to ask that question?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You found a golden ticket!

Sorry, nothing to contribute. Just needed to Wonka something today :)
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Does Spyderco use a "copper lube" like Glock does?

Clip

Post by Clip »

Isn't it a copper-containing antiseize that Glock uses? Don't think Spyderco does that but then again I'm new at this so I could be wrong. I've got a similar discoloration on an old nickel-plated razor that won't come off, but gets lighter with Flitz polish.

I'd guess it's either something else depositing/wearing onto the liner, or something on the liner wearing off. The first to me is more likely than the second as I carry mine around pocketed with keys and change, etc. The second I don't really think because I doubt the part's plated.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
BAL

Post by BAL »

Now I have to go home and look at all of my Spyderco's and Glocks.
Thanks a bunch, I was planning on just kickin back tonight and watch
Top Gear and Top Shot.

If it's a copper thing that is used on frequently moving parts, that may
explain why I have noticed a copper tint to the wife's jaw line.
SMI

Post by SMI »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yup, but my reply implied that the coloration doesn't matter one whit to the knife's function. ;)

I wonder why you guys look at your knives under a microscope.
I get what you implied, I believe we all do. But it simply wasn't the question. If the question was, "Do you think this copper coloration will affect my knifes function?" I would've given you mad props for that answer. It is his knife, if he wants to microscope it so be it....... doesn't mean you have to! In my case, the splotch could be seen very easy with the naked eye. Probably 2mm x 2mm.

Lefty, could you upload a pic?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Chuck was responding to the type of question that often leads to a thread careering out of control. Similar to a baby stroller rolling downhill in San Fransisco :) .

Still, the intent by the OP is understandable. It could be specs of rust but as you said a picture would be helpful. I don't see it being a functional issue, especially to the point of requiring disassemble. On a basic level liners are the big dumb brutes of the tool; the amount of rust to compromise the product would be quite obvious.

Goodluck!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Blerv wrote:Chuck was responding to the type of question that often leads to a thread careering out of control. Similar to a baby stroller rolling downhill in San Fransisco :) .
Or floating upwards after ingesting fizzy lifting drinks.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Lefty923 wrote:In my experience rust is a bad thing (duh). If this is that, I want to do something about it as rust does affect the performance and function of the knife. If not, I could care less. I've owned many knives for a very long time and this is a first.
If you have been using knives for a long time, you'd know it takes more than a spec or two of rust to compromise a knife.
mattman wrote:Because we are knife enthusiasts, that's why.

And what better place to go to ask that question?
Well, if you do that you obviously have more time than knife use on your hands. ;)

Being a knife enthusiast doesn't mean you have to be silly about irrelevant things.
SMI wrote:I get what you implied, I believe we all do. But it simply wasn't the question. If the question was, "Do you think this copper coloration will affect my knifes function?" I would've given you mad props for that answer. It is his knife, if he wants to microscope it so be it....... doesn't mean you have to! In my case, the splotch could be seen very easy with the naked eye. Probably 2mm x 2mm.
I know what your question was. I'm just saying that the concern of a speck or two doesn't affect function and that it's silly to obsess over such tiny things. Unless of course, your knives are just for looking, not for using.
Clip

Post by Clip »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I know what your question was. I'm just saying that the concern of a speck or two doesn't affect function and that it's silly to obsess over such tiny things. Unless of course, your knives are just for looking, not for using.
This knife could be just for looking, the OP never specified. Although I assumed differently when I read "cleaned and well lubed," I could be wrong and it's sitting on a shelf waiting for its resale.

Chris
mattman

Post by mattman »

Concern about a potential corrosion problem is neither silly,nor irrelevant.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Clip wrote:Or floating upwards after ingesting fizzy lifting drinks.
Haha! Totally like that or chomping down on experimental blueberry gum while your superiority complex overwhelms the warnings from surrounding tiny orange people. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mattman wrote:Concern about a potential corrosion problem is neither silly,nor irrelevant.
Ok, if it's a potential problem, how many para 2's have you seen that rusted out?