Hello from New Mexico

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
btrous

Hello from New Mexico

Post by btrous »

Hi, I'm new here. Although I've had A Sharpmaker for a while, I just got my first Spyderco knife, a Stretch in ZDP-189. I'm very impressed with the quality of this knife. I EDC a Skyline but the Stretch is so light I might have to reconsider. I may have to learn some things to properly sharpen this steel, but that's half the fun. I'm interested in exploring the capabilities of the more exotic steels, so I'll probably get a Gayle Bradley in CPM-M4 next. I'm a little late to the Mule Team party but hopefully I'll be able to catch up. I get the feeling this might turn into an expensive hobby, but at least I'll have something to show for it.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Well you've come to the right place. Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a ZDP189 blade yet (waiting for the Para Military2 version :D ) but seems everyone has high praise for the steel.

It is indeed an expensive journey. Very rewarding though.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Welcome to the forum fellow New Mexican!! I think there is a whole two of us on here now...

ZDP189 can be a royal pain to sharpen highly recommended getting the diamond rods... Or getting some congress tool stones to affix to the sharp maker... There's a thread o it lemme see if I can find.

Definitely not the cheapest of hobbies... Lol
Cheers!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the Forum, btrous!

(And yes, collecting Spydies does tend to get a wee bit expensive from time-to-time!)

Cheers,

~Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay here!

You are certainly off to a good start with a ZDP Stretch and a Sharpmaker.

Yes, collecting spydies can cause severe damage to your wallet :-))
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Welcome to the forum, btrous!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Rockcrawler wrote:Welcome to the forum fellow New Mexican!! I think there is a whole two of us on here now...

ZDP189 can be a royal pain to sharpen highly recommended getting the diamond rods... Or getting some congress tool stones to affix to the sharp maker... There's a thread o it lemme see if I can find.

Definitely not the cheapest of hobbies... Lol
More than two.. Tijeras here. I have DMT diamond stones. Does a great job on ZDP 189. And compared to guns and guitars, this is a totally fiscally responsible hobby.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome btrous. We have camped out at Albuquerque a couple times during vacation.
Nice part of the country.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Welcome. You have a great knife, and while I don't yet have a GB I have two other M4 spydies and the steel is excellent. Keep it clean so it doesn't rust and it will serve you well indefinitely.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

btrous wrote:Hi, I'm new here. Although I've had A Sharpmaker for a while, I just got my first Spyderco knife, a Stretch in ZDP-189. I'm very impressed with the quality of this knife. I EDC a Skyline but the Stretch is so light I might have to reconsider. I may have to learn some things to properly sharpen this steel, but that's half the fun. I'm interested in exploring the capabilities of the more exotic steels, so I'll probably get a Gayle Bradley in CPM-M4 next. I'm a little late to the Mule Team party but hopefully I'll be able to catch up. I get the feeling this might turn into an expensive hobby, but at least I'll have something to show for it.
Welcome to the forum and great choice on a first Spyderco and the Sharpmaker is a great tool as well. SUGGESTION: Use the Sharpmaker to KEEP the Stretch sharp. DO NOT let it get dull. ZDP-189 is a hard steel and easily kept sharp with the med and fine rods but it would take considerable time to get it sharp after it has gotten dull. You would probably need the diamond rods to do any significant work on the ZDP.

Having the Gayle Bradley in mind as your second knife is a great idea IMO. I wanted a GB for a long time but always got something else instead when I purchased. Now I have a GB and it's one of those items in life we wish we had gotten earlier. It's also one of those items that if something happened to mine I would replace it. My other "would replace if lost" knives are the Chaparral, Sage1 and Manix2 (of some version). Probably the least expensive Manix2 because even it is a great and wonderful knife.

Jack