What are you sharpening today?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

What are you sharpening today?

Post by Zerimas »

I am taking a break from sharpening a whole bunch of my knives, and I am curious as to what everyone has on the stones/Sharpmaker/microabrasive film/etc. today?

My to-do list is as follows:
Caly 3.5 in Blue Super (putting a new bevel on it)
M390 Para2 (needs a little bit of a touch up)
Endura4 (also needs a little touch-up)
G-10 Poliwog (ditto)
Random VG-10 petty knife (dull from roommate abuse)
Moritaka 270mm Blue Super Gyuto (had to remove a small chip due to roommate abuse)
rg02

Post by rg02 »

SharPened my ambitious and touched up my Yojimbo 2 with my new ultra fine stone for my sharpmaker. Both can shave my arm now :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Practicing stropping with my Para 2 DLC tonight, picked up a cheap leather belt and i have some polishing compound around here somewhere. If i like the results i might put some decent money into a stropping setup.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am going to keep working on getting my microbevel just right on my Millie. Also need to strop up my H1 Dragonfly this evening.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Sharpening: A daily chore for me

Post by JD Spydo »

I sharpen or fine tune hone something every day. This evening I'm going to fine tune hone my 2 current EDCs i.e. Benchmade Boguszewski Spike 640 model and my dearly beloved G-10, SE, ATS-55 Harpy :cool:

I'm also going to do a major sharpening job on my FB05 Temp 1 fixed blade because I anticipate doing a lot of work with it tomorrow.

Like I said I usually sharpen or fine hone something every day. I even carry one of my Spyderco "Doublestuff" stones with me all the time now ;)

To me a knife or any edged tool for that matter is only as good as it is sharp. I can't think of a more useless tool than a very dull knife :(

I encourage everyone to really learn the skill of sharpening. IT will truly pay you in many ways you never dreamed of.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Evil D wrote:Practicing stropping with my Para 2 DLC tonight, picked up a cheap leather belt and i have some polishing compound around here somewhere. If i like the results i might put some decent money into a stropping setup.
Sharpened and stropped the Bradley, came out well :D

If stropping I would suggest looking up some techniques and best practices. It is a different animal when compared to stones.

Keep 'em sharp :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dbcad wrote:Sharpened and stropped the Bradley, came out well :D

If stropping I would suggest looking up some techniques and best practices. It is a different animal when compared to stones.

Keep 'em sharp :D
Well i suck on stones too, but the good news is i really don't have any bad habits to break so i should pick it up fairly easy. I've stopped on a piece of cereal box with mixed results. I'm mainly looking to just remove any micro burr that my 2000 grit stone won't hone out.
~David
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Sharpened my zt0350, any tips on how to get that recurve as sharp as the rest of the knife? Because right now im pretty pissed off about this knife and its lack of sharpness
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I believe you are one of those mechanical naturals David, big assumption on my part but I have faith in you ;)

I could probably strop on carboard with a little compound now, but definitely wouldn't have tried it a year ago :o

You know what you're trying to do and realize that sharpening is a never ending quest to reach the ultimate edge :D An edge that is really unobtainable in the real world. We can only get as close as we can :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

touched up my m390 para :)
rondv

Post by rondv »

Allen R. wrote:Sharpened my zt0350, any tips on how to get that recurve as sharp as the rest of the knife? Because right now im pretty pissed off about this knife and its lack of sharpness
I had a Kershaw Shallot Damascus Blade, which is now at the bottom of the Coosawattee river, that had a similar shape blade and was a pain to sharpen. I found a narrow stone SM was the only thing to get it really sharp stroking from heel to toe. I could never get that shape blade sharp on a bench stone.

Ron
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

sharpened my byrd caracara2 on the sharpmaker this morning whilst having breakfast :D the 8cr13mov & a wide relief edge make is so easy & quick to get "working edge" sharp. i'll be hacking up a heap of thick cardboard with it today so no point in getting it super sharp.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:

Post by 1623 »

I'm relatively new with regard to sharpening though I've taken to the Sharpmaker quite well I think.

I touched up my Persistence on the Fine and Ultra Fine stones; shortly thereafter it was gliding through phone book paper. I know some folks don't care for 8CR13MOV, but that little knife takes a nice edge and straight up cuts.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

1623 wrote:I'm relatively new with regard to sharpening though I've taken to the Sharpmaker quite well I think.

I touched up my Persistence on the Fine and Ultra Fine stones; shortly thereafter it was gliding through phone book paper. I know some folks don't care for 8CR13MOV, but that little knife takes a nice edge and straight up cuts.
My little ambitious takes a hair shaving edge as well. Best $25 I have spent!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Almost done all my sharpening! I wasn't paying attention and went through all the grits, but still didn't completely remove the chips in my gyuto. Rawrg. Oh well, they'll come out in future sharpenings. I still don't have the bevel completely even on my Caly either, which is weird because I set it using a DMT angle guide and spend a bunch of time on 15 micron abrasive film.

I need to remember that I'll own these knives for the foreseeable remainder of my life. Therefore they don't need to be perfect today, right? :confused: I think I may be a little too obsessive about the sharpness of my knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dbcad wrote:I believe you are one of those mechanical naturals David, big assumption on my part but I have faith in you ;)

I could probably strop on carboard with a little compound now, but definitely wouldn't have tried it a year ago :o

You know what you're trying to do and realize that sharpening is a never ending quest to reach the ultimate edge :D An edge that is really unobtainable in the real world. We can only get as close as we can :)
Man...it's ridiculous. Just when i feel like i've reached the peak in what i can do with an edge, something new comes along and takes it to another level. I'm at the point with my Lansky where i honestly don't think a knife can be made any sharper using it...i can split hair (when my hand is steady enough). Now with this stropping, it's even crazier. I was trying to split my GF's hair last night but it just chops right through the hair as soon as i put any pressure on it. It gets to a point where i just don't know if getting any more sharp really matters...i know that sounds crazy but i'm starting to feel like unless i have a steel that can hold this fine of an edge longer that maybe it's like swatting flies with a sledge hammer lol.
~David
JD Spydo

Sharp quality blades, no compromise

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Man...it's ridiculous. Just when i feel like i've reached the peak in what i can do with an edge, something new comes along and takes it to another level. I'm at the point with my Lansky where i honestly don't think a knife can be made any sharper using it...i can split hair (when my hand is steady enough). Now with this stropping, it's even crazier. I was trying to split my GF's hair last night but it just chops right through the hair as soon as i put any pressure on it. It gets to a point where i just don't know if getting any more sharp really matters...

There truly is a science to the skill of "sharpening". Once you've gotten a blade so sharp to where you feel as though you are "parting the Red Sea" so to speak you get to a point to where you just don't want to use a knife unless it cuts like a laser. It's just amazing how easy it is to work with a super sharp blade made with premium steel and top notch handle materials.

Like I've said in the past>> anyone who works with a knife or any other edged tool and doesn't learn the skill of sharpening they are missing the entire reasoning behind it.

Also when you work with a premium brand of blade like Spyderco, Benchmade, Boker, Kershaw ect you start to realize just how disgusting and inferior most knives are. There is just something about quality cutlery that shows you the importance of using good tools.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I used my transparent blue Manix all weekend, so I'm going to re-bevel it tonight. I've been taking my edges down to 3micron on the 3M papers, then stropping on a leather strop loaded with 1 micron paste.

I'm thinking about taking this Manix a bit wider than I have been with my other blades lately. The last few I've done somewhere between 28 - 33 degrees. I'm thinking about beveling this Manix at 37 or so, with a 42 degree microbevel. I haven't found the "magic angle" for S30v based on my usage yet.

Keep on experimenting...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

phillipsted wrote:I used my transparent blue Manix all weekend, so I'm going to re-bevel it tonight. I've been taking my edges down to 3micron on the 3M papers, then stropping on a leather strop loaded with 1 micron paste.

I'm thinking about taking this Manix a bit wider than I have been with my other blades lately. The last few I've done somewhere between 28 - 33 degrees. I'm thinking about beveling this Manix at 37 or so, with a 42 degree microbevel. I haven't found the "magic angle" for S30v based on my usage yet.

Keep on experimenting...

TedP
I've come to the conclusion that ~30 or so inclusive is about perfect. It may not hold that edge as long, but a thinner edge will have better geometry for slicing anyway. No angle i've tried on S30V holds a hair popping edge any longer than the next, it pretty much loses that sticky edge as soon as you use it so i'd just assume have a thinner edge for less resistance and deal with sharpening it daily. So far i have yet to use S30V enough in one day that it completely dulled to the point that i noticed a major loss in performance. The worst you'll see is some chipping at 30 and that's only if you cut something like thick zip ties or you ding the edge.
~David
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I've got an Endura that's all messed up I've been working on since yesterday.
I'll probably touch up the new UKPK, because I've been using it for 4 days straight. My workweek starts up again tomorrow, so I'll touch up my work Delicas too.