Best slicer made by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

Best slicer made by Spyderco?

Post by Allen R. »

I've been looking at small Spydercos for awhile now, and heres what I'm looking for. I want the thinnest blade possible made by spyderco regardless of blade length. I was using a slipjoint earlier and man that small little blade sliced like a dream. So what spyderco knife would you guys say has the thinnest blade and is the best slicer that is currently in production. The smallest spyderco i have is a delica and it slices great, but i think theres something out there better.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I am not sure about thinnest, but what about the Chaparral? You can get it for $91 shipped from Jim Howes
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Allen,

You may want to look at the Persian 2: The FFG 75mm blade is incredibly thin, yet sturdy. The blade steel is in VG-10. The ergos on this knife are amazing. :) You're probaby looking at spending between $112 to $135 for this model. Hope this helps.

~Michael

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

Every knows it's the Chokwe.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

ZDP Stretch is the best Spyderco slicer I've got.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Among the production Spydercos I own, the Chaparral wins. Hard to beat a 2mm thick FFG blade that's ground thin behind the edge. Next in line would be the Caly/Calypso family, with the exception of the SS Calypso Jr.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Chap or Cento3 probably. Some like the Caly series get quite thin.

You might find a model you like and have it reground aftermarket by a custom knife maker. If you want it thin and specific that is.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Check out Jdavis882 on YouTube. I've been very impressed with this guy's knife reviews.

This review is "Top Five Cutting Performance Production Knives under $150."
Right to your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOV2NYu ... re=related

Sonny
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Thanks to all of you guys i was using a case knife earlier and just wondering what Spyderco might slice like that little stockman. I've heard the calys were great, I own a vg-10 stretch and agree its a great slicer. I'm gonna take a look at the Chap Persian and Chokwe I'll post when I make my mind up which i buy first. Something tells me I'm going to ending up owning all of these knives, so feel free to keep the suggestions coming.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I would say the chokwe or Persian 2.
35:spyder:
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I guess it depends on what you are slicing, but I wouldn't rule out the Mule. They are relatively thin for a fixed blade. They make short work of veggies in the kitchen. The Street Beat is also a sharp little slicer. Can you tell I am a fixed blade guy? If a folder is a must, I will also cast my vote for the chaparral.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I'd vote Chokwe too...It's super thin and because of the aggressive tip has a lot less steel that would drag onto whatever it might be that you'd be cutting.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I've got alot of spydies, and earlier today I used a buddies case stockman and man it sliced so well, So i figure if case can do it well, then Spyderco must have something great. just looking for a new addition for edc thats a super slicer.
JD Spydo

The Catcherman is my all purpose slicer

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm probably going to have some of you laughing at me but my choice for "best slicer" out of all of the Spyderco line up is the Catcherman.

I've used all 3 of my Catchermans for all kinds of food prep and various other chores with great satisfaction.

When you use the term "slicer" I assume you are referring to a knife that slices efficiently and mainly in the food prep arena.

I also like the manueverability of the Catcherman. It's so versatile with just about any cutting chore I encounter
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Chapparel is probably good...but too short IMO.
I would think...Chowke or Caly Jr with ZDP.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Let's not forget the JD Smith. These bad boys are thin and RAZOR SHARP. Was one of the sharpest out-of-box Spydies I've received...also agree with the Catcherman. While edge retention on the H-1 may not be the best these are serious slicers. These bad boys can shave a tomato.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm probably going to have some of you laughing at me but my choice for "best slicer" out of all of the Spyderco line up is the Catcherman.
I think you may be looking for answers to two different questions:

1. Which is the thinnest Spydie?

and

2. Which Spydie is the best slicer?

The answer to the first is undoubtedly JD's pick, the Catcherman. I don't have a micrometer, but that blade has gotta be somewhere south of 2mm...

The answer to the second question is somewhat of a subjective matter. For my money, I think the Caly Jr. in FRN is the best slicer that Spyderco has ever released.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

ZDP-189 LadyBug with a very shallow re profile :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Im with JD and Mach. The Catcherman and ZDP-189 FFG Ladybug are probably up there too. Maybe not the Cento3, Chaparral, or Calypso Jr but great options.

Another would be the Michael Walker sprint in ZDP-189. That high-hollow grind is really nice.
rondv

Post by rondv »

MachSchnell wrote:ZDP-189 LadyBug with a very shallow re profile :D
I agree if size doesn't matter, it stays in my watch pocket.