Do I want a FFG or sabre ground Endura for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BWPerdue

Do I want a FFG or sabre ground Endura for EDC?

Post by BWPerdue »

I can get either one in VG-10 for the same price. What do yinz say about either grind for EDC?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BWPerdue wrote:I can get either one in VG-10 for the same price. What do yinz say about either grind for EDC?
I don't care for a saber grind. I'd definately get the FFG knife.

Jack
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Full Flat Grind all the way.
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

FFG 100% for EDC. I have one in Saber grind I chose only because I was getting it as a knife I knew would take more abuse than my regular EDC knives. If I were getting one solely for EDC I would definitely get it in FFG... they just slice soooo goood :D
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

ffg
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
BWPerdue

Post by BWPerdue »

Gray one ordered. :)
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

FFG. Wicked sharp and you can take your pick from 5 great colors :)
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Waco

Post by Waco »

I like FFG knives.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ENJOY the FFG Endura :D , gonna love the **** out of it
Waco

Post by Waco »

Some argue that FFG isn't as strong, but I generally don't use my knives as pry-bars.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I like the look of a saber grind but the ffg is much better slicer. You should check out the new orange ffg Enduras
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

waco kid wrote:Some argue that FFG isn't as strong, but I generally don't use my knives as pry-bars.
The main advantage is a stronger tip. The tip of the FFG Delica will break or chip long before the saber version will. It's not always a matter of using a knife for something it's not supposed to be used for...it could be as simple as accidentally dropping it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

FFG.

Here's the thing. Number one, saber being stronger than FFG isn't that big of a deal. Most knives chip at the edge, where both types of grinds are equally thin. Or should be, if your knife is sharp. So the only place where saber has an advantage is if your blade snaps in half. Now, if that were to happen, you're doing it wrong. :D Folding knives shouldn't be used as prybars, batons, or a substitute ax. Since this is only an EDC, it should only be seeing cutting, which is where FFG's thinner profile would help you. If you want to treat your knife roughly, go for a fixed blade. Just my opinion.

P.S.: My Endura is still kicking, and its went swimming, decapitating chicken, making fuzz sticks, slicing apples, and a bunch more.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Timothy

Post by Timothy »

If the knife is to be used or reserved for stabbing purposes i believe the sabre gring may have a slight advantage. Not only in tip strength but in the rigidity of the blade.
BAL

Post by BAL »

BWPerdue wrote:Gray one ordered. :)
Great choice, I have the exact same one, excellent knife.
neuron

Post by neuron »

Good choice -- the FFG Endura is one of the best slicers I've ever encountered. :)
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

AND..... when you get crazy, you can chisel grind the FFG. :D

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51907
;) ;) ;) ;)
elena86

FFG or sabre

Post by elena86 »

Sabre ground gives you more confidence.The tip is stronger and the blede is stronger.A sabre grind can slice as well once you rebevel the edge more agressive.Slicing is one aspect but sometimes you need choping or more aggresive cuts.
And I like more the looks of a sabre ground.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If the price is the same, I prefer the FFG for appearance and use with food, but either is likely to serve your purposes well. Saber ground is likely to take a little more abuse in the prying/twisting department.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Dead Lemonz

Post by Dead Lemonz »

Admittedly the saber ground blade from the factory is not very good, but I spent about 2 hours reprofiling the blade to give it a better angle on the blade and the result was a knife that cuts almost as good as a FFG with the durability of a tanto. I own both versions of the endura 4, but I can say after you put a little work in on the saber blade it makes the best EDC knife that money can buy. I use it 100x more than my FFG even though my FFG cuts slightly better.

(sorry for reviving the topic but the saber ground Endura 4 is my favorite knife)