Any news on the Yojimbo 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Any knife in my hand is a weapon so I'm ok with my spyderco and keen edge trainers. That said I'd certianly buy a dedicated trainer if they made one to go with the live version. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

Years ago before dedicated trainers were made by the knife companies people would buy two of whatever knife they wanted to carry and grind one down to use as a trainer.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

fifthprofession47 wrote:Years ago before dedicated trainers were made by the knife companies people would buy two of whatever knife they wanted to carry and grind one down to use as a trainer.
I've thought the same thing when people mention a need for trainers. Depending on the knife and price of the knife, that's not a bad idea.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

That Yojimbo 2 is starting to grow on me. I bet it cuts boxes like a champ. I think I will pick one up once they are in stock at my regular dealer.

Does anyone know the specs on it like size and weight?
jossta

Post by jossta »

Overall Length: 7.56"
Blade Length: 3.25"
Blade Material: CPM-S30V Powder Steel (Stainless)
Lock: Compression Lock
Handle Material: Black G10
Liner(s): Stainless Steel
Clip: Stainless Steel
Weight: 4.00 oz.
Country of Origin: USA

The Spyderco Yojimbo 2 is the second generation self-defense knife designed by martial artist and Martial Blade Concepts innovator Michael Janich. The Yojimbo2 has a viscous 3.25" hollow ground, giving it a stronger tip than its predecessor, CPM-S30V Wharncliffe style stainless steel blade. The textured black G10 scales have refined ergonomics giving a hollow feel in the palm as opposed to concave in the first one. Torx screw construction secures them to nested stainless steel liners and a Compression lock gives it a better overall blade strength. The thumb rest was left smooth on this version so the thumb can slide right on to the spine without tearing it up. The handle is shorter emphasizing maximum striking control. Features a four-way reversible stainless steel pocket clip for right/left hand tip-up or down carry. Made in USA.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Thanks for the specs. It looks like a great companion to my Para2.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

fifthprofession47 wrote:Years ago before dedicated trainers were made by the knife companies people would buy two of whatever knife they wanted to carry and grind one down to use as a trainer.
Or, if people didn't have the resources to purchase two high end knives for the sole purpose of ruining one of them... they used bits of wood or rubber worked into similar shapes as the knives intended for use. Actually, scratch all that past tense, I do that now :p .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jordan wrote:Or, if people didn't have the resources to purchase two high end knives for the sole purpose of ruining one of them... they used bits of wood or rubber worked into similar shapes as the knives intended for use. Actually, scratch all that past tense, I do that now :p .
That works but also it's training for deployment, especially under stress, where a trainer version really shines.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

To be honest, I would gladly pay full-stir MSRP for a trainer from the Spyderco website here to help defray the costs required for a short-run of trainers so Spyderco doesn't waste a bunch of production time on making them. Just use the same steel and pull 100 or so from the production line pre-edge machining and round off the tips and edges instead. Perfectly weighted and balanced? I could care less. In fact, a heavier blade on the trainer would probably be a good thing as the realio-dealio will open like greased lightning.

It would be worth the cost for the serious students, maintains the idea of a MBC knife having a trainer, and means Spyderco doesn't lose a bunch of production time to make custom jobbies that will sit on the shelves for ever and ever.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That works but also it's training for deployment, especially under stress, where a trainer version really shines.
There are alternative methods for training in that regard without destroying a perfectly good knife or purchasing a dedicated trainer. My preferred route involves a period of exercise followed by drilling against a dummy with the knife I intend to use. A minute or two of push ups or sprints simulates battlefield stress, and deploying the blade from the pocket to attack a sack of old socks (or whatever you guys use) simulates... er... deploying the blade to attack a sack of meat :p . I am, of course, being glib to downplay the brutal nature of an attack on a person with a blade... I hope you'll all forgive me. For sparring, I find that my homemade dummy knives work just fine. Don't get me wrong... if I could afford to buy dedicated trainers or duplicate knives to turn into trainers I would probably use those. But, I prefer to use those funds dedicated to knife purchasing to purchase knives... with edges and points... at this point in my life. For the time being, I will continue to supplement my fiduciary deficits with imaginative training :) .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jordan wrote:There are alternative methods for training in that regard without destroying a perfectly good knife or purchasing a dedicated trainer. My preferred route involves a period of exercise followed by drilling against a dummy with the knife I intend to use. A minute or two of push ups or sprints simulates battlefield stress, and deploying the blade from the pocket to attack a sack of old socks (or whatever you guys use) simulates... er... deploying the blade to attack a sack of meat :p . I am, of course, being glib to downplay the brutal nature of an attack on a person with a blade... I hope you'll all forgive me. For sparring, I find that my homemade dummy knives work just fine. Don't get me wrong... if I could afford to buy dedicated trainers or duplicate knives to turn into trainers I would probably use those. But, I prefer to use those funds dedicated to knife purchasing to purchase knives... with edges and points... at this point in my life. For the time being, I will continue to supplement my fiduciary deficits with imaginative training :) .

What I mean is, there's a real, live training partner trying to hit you and grab you while you try to get your knife into play. Trying to deploy a knife in comfort even after a whole lot of pushups is not even close.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What I mean is, there's a real, live training partner trying to hit you and grab you while you try to get your knife into play. Trying to deploy a knife in comfort even after a whole lot of pushups is not even close.
Everything but war is simulation bud :) . Trying to get a trainer out of your pocket while somebody pretends to try to hurt you isn't anything at all like having someone try to kill you either. At some level, you know that the knife in your pocket isn't dangerous and the guy trying to hurt you won't. Intense aerobic and anaerobic exercise at least FEELS like adrenal overload if you do it properly. In my humble opinion, it simulates the degradation of fine motor skills considerably more effectively than just pretending with a buddy. But, I'm at best a dedicated amateur, so your experiences may differ.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've tried practicing with a partner, and if you allow yourself the mindset of "he's about to kill me", it definitely becomes very intense.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
jossta

Post by jossta »

Jordan wrote:Trying to get a trainer out of your pocket while somebody pretends to try to hurt you isn't anything at all like having someone try to kill you either.
It's a lot closer than a wooden substitute you don't have to deploy though. That's like saying I'll just fight a dummy b/c practicing with a partner is too much trouble/money.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say training this way is just like martial arts...what you gain from training is only as good as the person you train with. If the person doesn't PUT YOU in the mindset that you're about to get hurt/killed, you're not getting as much from it as you could.
~David
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

jossta wrote:It's a lot closer than a wooden substitute you don't have to deploy though. That's like saying I'll just fight a dummy b/c practicing with a partner is too much trouble/money.
Deployment is only one part of a well-rounded training regimen, a part that is only effective insomuch as it reinforces muscle memory in the hope that during an actual physical confrontation your sudden drop in fine motor capability won't cause you to lose your weapon. Spending additional resources to practice it when there are other, less costly methods by which to accomplish the same goal seems like a bad idea... to me. Those last two words being the only important ones in that entire sentence :p . I get what you are saying, but you and I obviously have a different training mentality. You obviously want to make certain that you can present your weapon in the event of hostilities and spend a great deal of time and money ensuring that you are prepared to do so. I spend the bulk of my time training to use the knife after its deployment, or to use the rest of me if I cannot deploy it or fail to do so properly. My supposition is that the extreme familiarity I have gained by using my knife EVERY DAY will at least help me find the **** thing in my pocket :p . That could be flawed, but it's the road I travel... for my money, no better and no worse than yours :) .

Evil D, I also get where you are coming from... but I have to politely disagree. There is no way you can put yourself in the mindset of an attack outside of one. Your brain won't let you. If you had that kind of control over your brain chemistry... you'd belong with the X Men :p . Unless your training partner is willing to seriously injure you in the course of training (generally viewed as an undesirable trait in a sparring partner), you won't react as though you are in real danger. This is a good thing, because in a real fight everything generally goes bonkers and you learn very little. Training helps to develop patterns of behavior that don't require conscious thought so that during the aforementioned bonker-ness... you don't just flail about ineffectively (or at least, in between the flailing you do something useful :) ).
- Theodore Roosevelt

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, mindset or not, if you're literally getting your *** kicked, you'll defend yourself right? LOL
~David
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Evil D wrote:Well, mindset or not, if you're literally getting your *** kicked, you'll defend yourself right? LOL
If not, I've wasted a lot of my own time and Uncle Sam has made a rather poor investment in me :p .
- Theodore Roosevelt

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well that's what i'm saying...if in your training, you're physically getting abused, surely that's going to result in better training than slow motion going through the motions stuff right? I mean i know you start there, but when you're doing some real deal scenarios, if the person with you doesn't really push you beyond your comfort level, i think you're cheating yourself.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jordan wrote:Everything but war is simulation bud :) . Trying to get a trainer out of your pocket while somebody pretends to try to hurt you isn't anything at all like having someone try to kill you either. At some level, you know that the knife in your pocket isn't dangerous and the guy trying to hurt you won't. Intense aerobic and anaerobic exercise at least FEELS like adrenal overload if you do it properly. In my humble opinion, it simulates the degradation of fine motor skills considerably more effectively than just pretending with a buddy. But, I'm at best a dedicated amateur, so your experiences may differ.
Well, IMHO, any knife defense course that starts with two guys holding their knives in their hands is pretty much unrealistic. Bud. ;)

Any thing that's not the real thing is simulation but the closer the simulation is to the real thing, the better for individuals concerned. I guess that's why the US government spends millions on simulators.

Besides adrenalin overload is not the only thing being simulated, it's also how to defend yourself while being attacked. How can you simulate footwork, evasion, and blocking with pushups?