Delica saber grind discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Delica saber grind discontinued?

Post by jackknifeh »

I have a black FRN handle Delica with ZDP-189 saber grind blade. I think but want to confirm that this knife has been discontinued. I think this is true because the FFG Delica has the same model number. I want to sell it (not here) and want to know if it is discontinued or not.

Jack
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

It is not listed as discontinued on the Spyderco website.
Spyder Count: 7
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Hold up, I told a lie. :eek: My Delica4 w/ZDP-189 saber grind blade has a BRG FRN handle, not black. My Delica4 w/ZDP-189 FFG blade also has a BRG FRN handle. The ONLY difference in the knives is the grind of the blade and the SKU # is the same on the box.

I didn't mean to lie, it just comes naturally because that's the kind of guy I am. :D

Jack
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

jackknifeh wrote:Hold up, I told a lie. :eek: My Delica4 w/ZDP-189 saber grind blade has a BRG FRN handle, not black. My Delica4 w/ZDP-189 FFG blade also has a BRG FRN handle. The ONLY difference in the knives is the grind of the blade and the SKU # is the same on the box.

I didn't mean to lie, it just comes naturally because that's the kind of guy I am. :D

Jack
The saber ground ZDP Delica was replaced by the FFG one, I'm virtually certain. Saber ground Delica's are still available in the form of the SS version and standard black-handled one. But I believe the ZDP one is "discontinued" if you want to call it that, it was replaced by the FFG one.

I don't think it will really increase the value though, not soon anyway.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

The Mentaculous wrote: I don't think it will really increase the value though, not soon anyway.
:spyder: Probably not, considering how hard the buggers are to keep sharp without thinning the blade. :rolleyes: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Mentaculous wrote: I don't think it will really increase the value though, not soon anyway.
Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Probably not, considering how hard the buggers are to keep sharp without thinning the blade. :rolleyes: :spyder:
I wasn't worried about increased value, just thought it might be good to know for anyone who buys it. Also, before I got the FFG ZDP Delica (birthday gift from son) I reprofiled the edge to 12 deg. per side back bevel with a 20 deg. per side edge bevel. It cuts real good and I like the knife but want to sell a few of mine that I never use to give me extra cash for getting new stuff. Not selling here. I have another method I plan to use.

Jack