Possibility of smaller Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kawr

Possibility of smaller Stretch?

Post by kawr »

Would making a smaller version of the Stretch (3 inch blade or less) be something Spyderco could possibly consider doing? I'm guessing not because the Stretch is a somewhat niche design compared to the much more popular Delicas, Enduras, Militarys, etc but I think it would be awesome if they did. I would love to be able to legally carry some form of a Stretch since its my favorite Spyderco design and its a shame I have to keep my Stretches at home more often than not. Would other people be interested in a small version of the Stretch or content with it the way it is.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Have you looked at the UK Pen drop point? It's a slipit, but same basic blade shape and a bit shorter.
On the hunt for...
v8r

Post by v8r »

It's called a ProGrip/ ProVenator. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
kawr

Post by kawr »

v8r wrote:It's called a ProGrip/ ProVenator. ;)
Wow! I have never seen that. I googled it and that looks like exactly what I would want :D . Wonder how hard it is to find one and how much it would cost...
kawr

Post by kawr »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Have you looked at the UK Pen drop point? It's a slipit, but same basic blade shape and a bit shorter.
Yeah I see what you mean and I think I'll get one. Only thing that I'm not sure about would be the ergos of the ukpk. The ergos on the Stretch are perfect for me and I would ideally want the same exact knife as the Stretch but with a scaled down blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kawr wrote:Yeah I see what you mean and I think I'll get one. Only thing that I'm not sure about would be the ergos of the ukpk. The ergos on the Stretch are perfect for me and I would ideally want the same exact knife as the Stretch but with a scaled down blade.
Realistically, the easiest way to achieve that would be to shorten the blade on a Stretch, which is something you could have done for you. If you try scaling down a handle as structured as that of the Stretch, "something's gotta give". IMHO it would be pretty hard to do without compromising the ergonomics that make it great. Pro Grip, for example has a less structured handle and no 50/50 choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kawr

Post by kawr »

The Deacon wrote:Realistically, the easiest way to achieve that would be to shorten the blade on a Stretch, which is something you could have done for you. If you try scaling down a handle as structured as that of the Stretch, "something's gotta give". IMHO it would be pretty hard to do without compromising the ergonomics that make it great. Pro Grip, for example has a less structured handle and no 50/50 choil.
Makes sense. I think grinding down the blade isnt a bad idea at all since the blade to handle ratio on the Stretch is very good so it wont look terrible with a 3 inch blade. I guess now I need to find someone who can grind down the blade properly. Thanks for the suggestion and its cheaper than buying a new knife :D .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Maybe one with a 3" blade. They could call it a Shrink. :D

Jack
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I agree with Deacon on the ergonomics--that's one of the most awesome things about the Stretch is the roomy, hand-filling, perfectly shaped handle. If you cut the handle down by 1/2", it would be harder to get that effect. I think that the use of a choil (or possibly the complete absence of one) is the only way to get that effect on a knife that size. Probably the drop-point UKPK is a perfect example of ergo's for that size range, at least in my opinions. I wouldn't mind seeing a Caly 3/Stretch 2 hybrid, essentially a drop-point Caly 3 or back-locking UKPK DP. That would honestly make my day, as those are possibly my 2 favorite designs ever.
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

I don't know. The Saver Salt's handle feels pretty good to me and is similar in shape to the Stretch handle. Makes me wonder if a 3" Stretch style drop point blade could be mounted on it.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
JaM

Post by JaM »

jackknifeh wrote:Maybe one with a 3" blade. They could call it a Shrink. :D

Jack
lol! :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I was thinking about the question yesterday. A great one I might add :) .

The problem I would foresee is that unless you have very small hands the tail of the Stretch would really squeeze most hands. I do like the idea of a more significant guard but with the Junior in the pipeline I'd just buy that instead.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I tell ya... if the drop point UKPK FRN had a lock, we'd be all set.

- best wishes, Jazz.