sharpest edge out of the box?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Hate to say it, but not only was the sharpest knife I have gotten OOB NOT a Spydie, it cost less than $30 for two blades.

I got a pair of Mora 780s last year that were sharper than any knife I have ever received OOB. Both were the same level of sharp and not a fluke. Very impressed, especially for the money. Of course, they are both carbon steel and thinner than most anything Sal puts out.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: It was my kerambit, ouch! http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... t=kerambit :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

The M4 Manix 2 and S90V para 2 were both extremely sharp out of the box, with very evenly ground angles, 2 of the very few knives I haven't sharpened/reprofiled as soon as I got it. I got a collectors numbered H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, which was also extremely sharp and the edge was surprisingly polished more polished than any other knife I've gotten, the two mentioned above while very sharp look like they were done on about 600 grit, you can still see striations in the edge, however on the ladybug it looks like it was finished on 1000-1200, nearly a mirror edge, can't make out any striations at all.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The Deacon wrote:I agree with both of you but will say that, in my admittedly limited experience, the most consistently ultra sharp Spydercos are the full flat ground members of the "Calypso" family (C52, C54, C113, C144).

I do feel I've owned enough, and a broad enough variety of, brand new Spydercos to be able to say that while not all of them live up to the "stupid sharp out of the box" reputation WE USERS have created and perpetuated for them, knives that are disappointingly dull are few and far between.
I agree with The Deacon on this; the Caly family is impressive.
buddy54ck wrote: :spyder: :spyder:
Hi,
Just received My Cally 3 in CF w/ZDP 189/420J2 yesterday. To date this is the sharpest of all the Spydies, out of the box. Most would call this scary sharp.The individual who sharpened mine was at the top of His game that day! Just My 2 cents.
Thanks,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
For a single knife, my Caly Jr. in burgundy FRN with ZDP-189/402J2 was outstanding for OOTB sharpness.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

For years, the sharpest knife in my Spydie collection was my original Caly Jr. in laminated ZDP. It was the ultimate slicer.

The Caly Jr. held the crown until I recently received the new Cobalt Mule. Good golly molly that thing is sharp. I was almost afraid to hold it while putting the Halpern scales on it. Resorted to taping the blade with blue painters tape - and cut my finger while I was taping the son-of-a-gun!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

My Gayle Bradley came scary sharp. Para 2 was a close second
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Caly 3 CF ZDP
Stretch zdp
Delica zdp
Chokwe
In that order.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

WOW after seeing only one person mention something from the value folders line, which are , hair whittling, hair popping, 'get a deep cut without noticing' sharp , i think im gonna be saving for a while then splurge out on spydies. :D
kawr

Post by kawr »

All the zdp steel models I've gotten came super sharp. Seems like spyderco tries to get the harder steels to come very sharp.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I think that my FRN ZDP Stretch is the sharpest I have seen. A close second is my Carpenter Manix.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The original Calypso Jr. BRG ZDP, by far the sharpest!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Calypso Jr ZDP-189 takes the cake. I think the D4 FFG might be close due to spine thickness.

Close seconds include most the rest of the ZDP family.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

My first and user Bushcraft 2nd, I've got to get it back there... They almost all come pretty nicely sharp, but it's up to us to keep them that way. Think the Bushcraft will get revisited this weekend :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: It was my kerambit, ouch! http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... t=kerambit :spyder:
Yup, must agree.....Kerambit, then my Ronin and then the Yojimbo. All freaky Scalpel sharp..... :eek:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find golden made spydies to be the sharpest in my experience. Every S90V knife I've gotten was amazingly sharp. I purchased a never used 440V gunting and it was scarey. Also picked up a vesuvius from a brick and mortar shop that was extremely sharp.
SPROGGY

Post by SPROGGY »

My first p'kal was incredibly sharp. When i first got it i had never used a caged ball bearing lock and it bit me when i tried to close it. Problem was i didnt know until a few seconds later when blood was dripping on the hard wood. Ive ordered 3 more since and all of them have been insanely sharp.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm now thinking that we have to determine what is freaky or scary. What may be scary to some may so-so to others, and what may be dull to some may be the sharpest that some have come across.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

This will sound odd, but my pearl and abalone Kopa was the scary sharpest of all of my Spydies.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm now thinking that we have to determine what is freaky or scary. What may be scary to some may so-so to others, and what may be dull to some may be the sharpest that some have come across.
I think we need to establish an ordinal hierarchy of quantitative sharpness levels that don't refer to tasks being performed (e.g., shaving, hair popping, toilet paper slicing):

1. Scary sharp

2. Freaky sharp

3. Stupid sharp

4. Doh! sharp

Others? :cool:

TedP
grg

Post by grg »

My burgundy handled calypso with ZDP out of box.The sharpest I ever bought second hand,actually new except it was reprofiledto a wicked edge.
Was a black ZDP189 calypso jr,I don't know how low the edge was taken ,but I don't believe I'll ever handle a sharper knife.