Any Byrd G10 Wings, BY20G users?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LDB

Any Byrd G10 Wings, BY20G users?

Post by LDB »

Any of you guys have this model of the Wings? I'm thinking about it for an edc and wondered what input/feedback I could get. Thanks.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't have one but hear great things for the money. The g10 full-size Wings is quite wide tho. The slipit is significantly smaller. You might check out comparison pics prior to shopping.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I have a G 10 Wings, it is fat & heavy so it comes with a pouch. I suppose you could say it is an EDC as it is cliped, in it's pouch to my tool bag. My pocket EDC is a Centofante 4, but when I consider the going to be too rough, tough & dirty, out comes the wings. Rip, tear but no bust. A genuine tool as tools go, but no Dyad.
Price is right. I would say get one & give it ****.
O.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

O,just,O wrote:I have a G 10 Wings, it is fat & heavy so it comes with a pouch. I suppose you could say it is an EDC as it is cliped, in it's pouch to my tool bag. My pocket EDC is a Centofante 4, but when I consider the going to be too rough, tough & dirty, out comes the wings. Rip, tear but no bust. A genuine tool as tools go, but no Dyad.
Price is right. I would say get one & give it ****.
O.
I'll echo O. First of all the knife is sturdy and a GREAT buy for the price. I use it as a tool belt type of knife also. Definately too big for the pocket, clipped or down in the pocket. OK in the pouch on your belt though. Even using it in "work" situations it has held up for me. I'm retired now so "work" for me means around the house stuff but that will include fairly large carpentry jobs sometimes. I'm replacing the roof on my back porch now. Also, even if it does get damaged or broken the $s lost won't be that bad. After owning mine I'd say if it breaks I would have abused it badly. Buy one.

Jack
unit

Post by unit »

+1more

Fat and heavy. The one I got (for a friend) had some issues also. The serrated blade would not lock open, there was some grind issues on the tang preventing proper lock up. I never complained because I was able to fix the issue for him easily enough.

The steel used is great stuff. It is very easy to sharpen and holds a working edge in spite of stupid abuse that this guys kid unleashed on it. I re-sharpened that knife monthly for the first 6 months and it never took more than 15 minutes to do (except for the time I reprofiled it...he wanted to try out a 20 inclusive that could whittle hair...the steel got there quickly, but could not support that edge or angle under work...big shock).

If I had inspected the knife prior to buying (to ensure that the lock up is good) I would say it is a good value, but only on a work belt (too thick and heavy for EDC IMO). A great worker, good utility blade(s) shape, rust resistant enough for most, and easy to keep sharp.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Like most everyone has mentioned it is fairly thick but will work in a pocket in a pinch. Mine have held up very well to what some would call abusive use. Sharpens easily and the lock up is still tight.

Solid work knife.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

+1 to everything said so far. It's a fantastic knife for the money. I find it OK clipped to my pocket and never use the sheath, but I also use it around the yard or camping when I don't want to hammer my nice knives so hard. I'm not wearing slacks in those situations. It's held up really well. Better than I expected. A great tool. Too big and heavy for EDC.

I keep meaning to pick up a Wings Slipit. Always seem to forget.

Gordon
LDB

Post by LDB »

I was thinking of removing the clip and dropping it in my pocket. I wear 5.11 tactical pants and don't think I'd notice the weight although the width might be an issue. I like the idea of having both blade types available if I want. I'd like an Endura CE but haven't seen that option. I sure wish they'd make the catalog so you could ask to see everything with a specific blade type and only see those choices.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I handled the Wings in a Bladeforums.com passaround a long while back. Here are a few pictures comparing it to my old C44 Dyad.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I will echo the others in saying that it is a great, albeit bulky work knife. Not sure I'd want it floating loose in my pockets.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
LDB

Post by LDB »

Maybe I'll have to rethink and make it a vehicle knife so it's always available but not on my person. When I get one I'll just "wings" it for a while and see how it goes. :rolleyes: :D
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Wings is just too thick for easy pocket carry (The original, old-school Dyad, now... mmm, I love that one.) I'd go for car/bag carry like others have suggested.

The Wings Slipit, on the other hand, is a great smaller EDC knife.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Does anyone know of a photo showing the width of the two Wings side by side? I'd prefer the larger blades of the G10 and if anyone saw what all I carry now it wouldn't seem like all that much extra. Hopefully we'll see an illustration and if not I'll have to try to compare them in a store.
BWPerdue

Post by BWPerdue »

This site has a lot of side-by-side comparison pics: http://www.nethirlap.hu/subshow2.php?m=1318080
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.