Overpaying

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Donut wrote:I got a 20 oz bottle of The Obrama for around $20, now that I think of it, I should have never even thought about it! :eek:
Yeah, I've dropped about 18-20 on certain bottles of Rogue. Price didn't really cross my mind at the time.

Don't mean to hijack thread by the way.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
v8r

Post by v8r »

Did you pay more than MSRP? If you didn't then your good, especially if it is a discontinued model. By all means don't spend out of your means, but if you want it and can afford it go for it.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

over paying? pfff! i buy what i feel is a fair price. i want it, the price is listed, if i'm cool with that then i got a new knife. DONE! no point in over thinking or digging deep into the numbers. like i said in the past.... when it comes to spydies, only, I AM HERE TO HAVE FUN. i'm enjoying myself!!! and that cost m-o-n-e-y!
"buyers remorse" you say? go carry your $300 bnib "barong" around for a day and you'll see the "specifics" of the deal will fall by the way side! just bask in the "new spyderco knife glory" a little longer...

maybe ten years from now, when its all said and done..... THEN do the numbers and say "holy **** i can't believe i got kicked out of my apartment because i needed another piece of spydie steel."
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

It evens out over time as others have said. Good fortune in what you paid/sold is often luck and timing.

I once bought an Atwood whistle from the maker for around $50. I didn't intend to resell it, but I didn't use it. At a certain point the maker stopped making them, and said there would be no more. I would see the whistle selling in auctions for hundreds of dollars. So to finance another purchase, I put it up and sold it to an overseas buyer for around $220. Later, the maker changed his mind and started making them again. He refined the design, so they're different, but they're available again for close to the original price. I bought and sold at an opportune time by dumb luck, the supply and demand circumstances changed in my favor. Everyone on this forum probably has stories like this.

The price you paid is done and gone, and unless you're obsessed with the monetary value of your knives, it's only significant again if you sell it. If the thought that you might have overpaid sticks in your mind, you could use a stock market analogy -- your purchase is currently an unrealized gain or loss, to be decided at a later date.

-Rick
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

An item is worth as much as your willing to pay. Just because someone else won't pay that for it, doesn't mean its not worth it for you. Have fun with your knife.
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

You'll stop thinking this when you see people paying upwards of 25% more than you for the same knife a year our two down the line. I use to think the same thing about my 630 Skirmish and CF Manix until I started seeing what I would have to deal with if I wanted those same knives today.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I do tend to have a price verses worth number in my head when I buy or bid. I usually throw out the highest I am willing to go on an item if it's an auction. If it goes higher I let it go. I have never paid MSRP for a Spyderco and have never been unhappy with a price I paid on a knife.

That is what has probably kept me from landing a CF P2 or a Barong. I refuse to pay 250 for a production knife. Well....for now anyway. I find that my threshold has changed drastically over the years.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

LMAO thats nuthin I paid $104.99 for a CS recon 1! Yes that was dingy of me but I didnt know anything about knives back then, but I definatly can say Ive never paid a bad pricve for my favorite Knife company.......Spyderco! (how many of you knew that was coming?) LOL for instance I only paid $42.87 for a brand new Native XD

Take care!
SpyderNation #0705