Dog attack!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HellHound

Dog attack!

Post by HellHound »

So today ,as usual on sunday's ,I took my dog for a walk, was heading toward the bakery to get some bread and cookies, always freshly baked there. Anywho, as I'm walking I hear some one shouting, didn't hear what exactly they were saying, had the headphones on at that time. So quickly turn back and see a huge german shepheard charging toward my dog it ran up started sniffing my dog, every thing happened so fast that I freaked out a bit,got scared that it would start tearing up my dogs neck. My first response was to reach inside my right coat pocket and pull out some pepper mace, there was wind out, lucky the thing has a jet stream instead aerosol clowd. So with out any further hesitation I maced the dog in the face. It quickly lost intrest and ran of, the dogs owner ran up soon after and caught the criter. Well think the dog just breaked out from the yard and decided to go about the street.
So heres a question for any leo's or experts. What to do if a dog attacks you? My plan of action would be use my left hand as a shield and after the dog bites it and locks in I would draw my knife and go for the throat. Also I know that the more you pull your hand away from the dog the more the teeth will sink in and tear the fleash this is due to the curved fangs. Or should I do something else in an occasion of a dog attack? OH ya the Spyder of the day was a black CE Millie. That was a pretty lucky pick if I would have had to whip it out. Pardon my english some words may be off. :D
thewannabesurvivalist
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've thought about this myself. What to Do? Having never even been attacked I figured I'd wait until the dog jumped for my throat then grab each side the the dog's neck as close as possible to the jaws and hang on tight. Theory being like holding a snake close to the head. Vets have asked me to hold my dog when giving them shots and that's how they tell me to hold them, from the rear though. I'm interested to see if anyone answers this that has knowledg about it.

Jack
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I think the main problem would be if you are fast and accurate enough to do that, consider you have a few seconds at most to realize what's going on, decide what to, and act.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've never been attacked by a dog, but I've been around them my whole life. If you don't let the sight of the teeth panic you, they aren't that hard to beat. A stiff thumb in the eye will usually get them to let go and back off. If you are quick enough to pull it off, grabbing either the upper or lower jaw with your fingers curled in and squeezing either the roof of their mouth or their tongue hard will keep them from biting down. As long as you can hold on, you are in control.

One thing strikes me about your account. If the Shepard was taking the time to sniff your dog, there was no immediate danger. I've seen a grumpy Chihauhau chase off an inquisitive Great Dane. I've also known dogs that a face full of pepper spray would just make them mad enough to fight a buzz saw.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Your idea with the left arm/throat thing might sound better than it is practical. I have a cousin who used to train police dogs. One day he called me asking if i would consider being the dummy for a dog he was working with because he needed a typical "big scary guy" type. I agreed and went to his house and met the dog, who was a small female German Shepherd and as sweet as pie.

I put the big protective sleeve on my left arm and walked about 30 yards out. He stood with the dog at his side and made a command in German, and this dog turned into a raging beast...she literally turned into a totally different dog. He let her off the leash and that dog didn't take 3 seconds to close the gap and hit me with enough force that it almost knocked me over. I was strong enough to pick her up but she was clamped down on my sleeve GOOD.

Anyways, i'm just sayin...you'd have to be pretty calm minded to be able to handle all that and pull out a knife and be effective. I think the pepper spray from a distance like you did is a better option, or at least better first option and then go for the knife if that fails. I can't imagine how the attack would've gone down with a dog that was over 100lbs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

yablanowitz wrote:I've never been attacked by a dog, but I've been around them my whole life. If you don't let the sight of the teeth panic you, they aren't that hard to beat. A stiff thumb in the eye will usually get them to let go and back off. If you are quick enough to pull it off, grabbing either the upper or lower jaw with your fingers curled in and squeezing either the roof of their mouth or their tongue hard will keep them from biting down. As long as you can hold on, you are in control.

One thing strikes me about your account. If the Shepard was taking the time to sniff your dog, there was no immediate danger. I've seen a grumpy Chihauhau chase off an inquisitive Great Dane. I've also known dogs that a face full of pepper spray would just make them mad enough to fight a buzz saw.
The dog took its time to sniff to indicate if it was a male or a female. Any way if my dog would have flinched in aggresion or it turned out that the shepherd was female too (fighting for teritorial areas) this dog might have been prompt to attack, I sure wasn't waiting to find out! If a dog locks in on a nother dogs neck that could mean severe injury or death! The stuff I used had "Animal stop" on the cann I'm glad it did the trick. We occasionaly meet other dogs on the street ussually there small and keep a respectful distance but this one came in too fast so I had to respond fast, you would be freaked out too if you saw your dog engaged with a 2 times bigger foe. Btw I have a standard schnaucer.
thewannabesurvivalist
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

lol this thread made me laugh

in high school i was walking home one day and one of those scary dogs barking behind a fence was actually out this day. it charged me and tried to bite my back leg but barely nipped it. when it circled in front of me i kicked it as hard as i could in the rib cage< basicly its side, and it instantly yelped and ran off.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You pretty much have to be the alpha dog when it comes to a dog attack...if you show fear, you're gonna get bit. When i was about 6 years old me and one of my older brothers were confronted by 3 dogs out in the country, one of which was a very intimidating Doberman Pinscher. My brother was about 13 at the time...walked straight up to the dog and punched it square in the nose...they all three ran off.
~David
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

jzmtl wrote:I think the main problem would be if you are fast and accurate enough to do that, consider you have a few seconds at most to realize what's going on, decide what to, and act.
Ya I know about the shock, I had a knife stabbed in my thigh, it was a run away knife while practicing throwing, bounced back and sticked me good. Something like an inch or 1.5" deep didnt realize what was going on until I saw the knife sticking out from my leg... Got 5 stitches and couldn't walk normally until they got removed 10 days later :D
thewannabesurvivalist
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Evil D wrote:You pretty much have to be the alpha dog when it comes to a dog attack...if you show fear, you're gonna get bit. When i was about 6 years old me and one of my older brothers were confronted by 3 dogs out in the country, one of which was a very intimidating Doberman Pinscher. My brother was about 13 at the time...walked straight up to the dog and punched it square in the nose...they all three ran off.
Ok... Punch dog in the nose... Check! Thanks, D! :D
thewannabesurvivalist
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Nyaa that reminds me, manny people here check there mace/tear gas on them self? I did, mine works great couldn't stop coughing and tearing for a few hours. Great stuff for 15$.
thewannabesurvivalist
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just be careful the dog doesn't see it coming and you stick your hand right into his mouth :D

And no, i don't feel the need to test out the pepper spray...i've seen this video enough times to know better lol
http://www.tooshocking.com/videos/3025/ ... e_Training
~David
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The way I look at a dog attack is this: I never/ever start a fight with a dog; and if I happen across a stray dog in the neighborhood I usually speak to them in a warm and welcoming tone and have, to date, never had any problems.

However, if I'm in my neighborhood and come across a dog that is the slightest bit aggressive (and let's face it, , you can tell pretty early on in the encounter if they're going to be mean). I get my knife in had and ready to go. I do not let it smell any type of fear in me; in fact, at this point I think of myself as the aggressor and get to my blade before I 'need' to. (Animal Lovers: do not read this to assume that I at this point attack the dog). But in no way do I let my body language show submissiveness or intimidation. I tell the dog to get away in a direct tone. It may not understand English, by it more than likely understands tone and inflection. If, by chance, it escalates from there, I have absolutely zero problem slicing the **** out of it. The way I look at it, I didn't look for this fight, I didn't start this fight, but I'm **** sure not gonna lose this fight. If an animal's owner doesn't like you brandishing a weapon at their dog, , , then they shouldn't have let it off the leash in the 1st place. And I can not imagine a LEO giving you a hard time if this happens, , since they too will likely acknowledge that the dog shouldn't have been off a leash in the 1st place.

I'm sure many will disagree with this strategy, but when I go out for a walk, I'm not looking to get attacked by a dog, and if I am attacked by a dog, PETA is the last group I care about.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Evil D wrote:Just be careful the dog doesn't see it coming and you stick your hand right into his mouth :D

And no, i don't feel the need to test out the pepper spray...i've seen this video enough times to know better lol
http://www.tooshocking.com/videos/3025/ ... e_Training
Well at least you'll know what it "tastes" like. :D If you dont have any source of water near your boned... You cant even blink ,too painful, also the breathing becomes a problem as your choking from coughing, as I said great stuff.
thewannabesurvivalist
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think you probably did the right thing by standing back and using a projectile, like mace. I haven't been attacked but a big dog running at full speed is going to hit you with a **** of a lot of momentum and knock you off your feet. I remember being charged (in play) by the neighbour's Labrador and it would regularly take people off their feet if they didn't step to the right side in the last second. The chances of being able to draw the knife and make an accurate strike on the dog after it has hit you and grabbed your left arm are minimal I think. Get the knife/mace in your hand and then try to avoid any charge ... if the dog stands close and looks like it will attack again then make yourself big and make a lot of noise - and if that doesn't work then make your move before it does and strike around the nose or eyes.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

Wow lucky you your reflexes helped out a bunch, I'll bet the owner of that dog was PO O_O

In a dog fight it is best to use your weak arm as a shiled and, yes do exactly what you just said XD
SpyderNation #0705
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

SQSAR wrote:The way I look at a dog attack is this: I never/ever start a fight with a dog; and if I happen across a stray dog in the neighborhood I usually speak to them in a warm and welcoming tone and have, to date, never had any problems.

However, if I'm in my neighborhood and come across a dog that is the slightest bit aggressive (and let's face it, , you can tell pretty early on in the encounter if they're going to be mean). I get my knife in had and ready to go. I do not let it smell any type of fear in me; in fact, at this point I think of myself as the aggressor and get to my blade before I 'need' to. (Animal Lovers: do not read this to assume that I at this point attack the dog). But in no way do I let my body language show submissiveness or intimidation. I tell the dog to get away in a direct tone. It may not understand English, by it more than likely understands tone and inflection. If, by chance, it escalates from there, I have absolutely zero problem slicing the **** out of it. The way I look at it, I didn't look for this fight, I didn't start this fight, but I'm **** sure not gonna lose this fight. If an animal's owner doesn't like you brandishing a weapon at their dog, , , then they shouldn't have let it off the leash in the 1st place. And I can not imagine a LEO giving you a hard time if this happens, , since they too will likely acknowledge that the dog shouldn't have been off a leash in the 1st place.

I'm sure many will disagree with this strategy, but when I go out for a walk, I'm not looking to get attacked by a dog, and if I am attacked by a dog, PETA is the last group I care about.
Well thats a good strategy always prepared and viewing every thing as a danger.
And yes, no leash= no complaints if your so ignorant that you let your dog roam with out a leash.
Small dogs- fine, but schephards, boxers, bulldogs keep them leashed and muzzled.
thewannabesurvivalist
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I would not want to kill a dog even if it did attack me.. but I would definitely punch it straight in the face or kick it very hard like some other guys have said to ward them off.

if it comes down to it, your knife should be a last option if cujo is chomping on you and won't release.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

recon1s14 wrote:Wow lucky you your reflexes helped out a bunch, I'll bet the owner of that dog was PO O_O

In a dog fight it is best to use your weak arm as a shiled and, yes do exactly what you just said XD
Hey, Welcome to the forum!
Thanks a bunch but maybe I'm being over confident, its winter time so my coat has thick sleeves but the fangs could penetrate deeper then it can protect. Shock does strange things, you just freeze up...
thewannabesurvivalist
v8r

Post by v8r »

Sorry a dog that bites is a dead dog. I don't tolerate it.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p