Got my Superleaf today (photos)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say it's just extra grip for doing pulling cuts so it doesn't slip out of your hand. There's enough room behind the 50/50 choil that you can get all four fingers on the handle portion.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Diamondback wrote:Could someone please explain to me the purpose of the hook on the end of the SuperLeaf's handle. Is it MBC related, to help lock in grip ? Does it hinder grip options. I need education. :)
Ergonomics. The hook keeps the handle from slipping forward out of your hand. Think of it like a reverse thumb ramp.

You see this handle style (similar not same) with most Schempp larger folders, Chinook(s), Stretch, etc. Just a style of handle; I find it extremely comfortable and secure with minimal grip tension.

Edit: nice response Evil :) . Quick on the draw Spydie bud!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Evil D wrote:I'd say it's just extra grip for doing pulling cuts so it doesn't slip out of your hand. There's enough room behind the 50/50 choil that you can get all four fingers on the handle portion.
...it just seems it would limit the finger/hand positioning...no ? I've never handled a Superhawk, which apparently shares the same handle, so I lack a bit of understanding.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It doesn't bind at all. The hook is far smaller in hand than it looks in pic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Diamondback wrote:...it just seems it would limit the finger/hand positioning...no ? I've never handled a Superhawk, which apparently shares the same handle, so I lack a bit of understanding.
Yeah if you wanted to grab the handle way down on the butt of the blade, but why would you? Unless you have enormous hands there should be plenty of room within the handle to not need to. Some handle styles are designed to be held a certain way (actually most Spyderco knives it seems are) and from an ergonomics perspective they feel fantastic in your hand being held that way, but you may sacrifice some other grip options for that ergonomics.

A lot of people complained about the hump at the pinky area on the butt of the original Paramilitary, but in my opinion if you hold the knife the way (i feel) it was meant to be gripped, with your index finger in the 50/50 choil and your thumb on the spine, you'll find that the hump fall just outside your pinky and works much like the Superleaf hump does. When you go and shape a handle to a particular grip, you gain a lot of comfort and ergonomics with that grip but i guess you might sacrifice other grip options in doing so.
~David
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Evil D wrote:Yeah if you wanted to grab the handle way down on the butt of the blade, but why would you? Unless you have enormous hands there should be plenty of room within the handle to not need to. Some handle styles are designed to be held a certain way (actually most Spyderco knives it seems are) and from an ergonomics perspective they feel fantastic in your hand being held that way, but you may sacrifice some other grip options for that ergonomics.

A lot of people complained about the hump at the pinky area on the butt of the original Paramilitary, but in my opinion if you hold the knife the way (i feel) it was meant to be gripped, with your index finger in the 50/50 choil and your thumb on the spine, you'll find that the hump fall just outside your pinky and works much like the Superleaf hump does. When you go and shape a handle to a particular grip, you gain a lot of comfort and ergonomics with that grip but i guess you might sacrifice other grip options in doing so.
Thanks....I can see where the hook would lock one's hand into a very secure position on the handle. I guess that design, along with the 4mm thick blade, makes for a folding knife intended for rugged use. That's why I was thinking along MBC lines.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i'd say it would excel at MBC among other harder use tasks. I haven't handled one yet but it and the Superhawk don't appear to be knives that would slip out of your hand very easily, even if wet. I believe the handle design was more intended for the Superhawk, since a hawk bill blade does more pulling cuts which pose the potential of pulling the knife out of your hand...and they essentially put a leaf shaped blade on the same handle.
~David
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Evil D wrote:(...) I believe the handle design was more intended for the Superhawk, since a hawk bill blade does more pulling cuts which pose the potential of pulling the knife out of your hand...and they essentially put a leaf shaped blade on the same handle.
BINGO!

That's exactly what I was going to add to the discussion whren reading through the thread... well, too late :)

I think the Superhawk was very carefully designed and lots of work went into it.... but the sales weren't going though the roof when released, most likely due to it being a pretty special knife to begin with... after all, it was created because of the famous hawkbill thread in this forum where lots of forumites (well, one or two more than all others :D ) wanted a premium hawkbill pretty bad. I think Sal knew from the beginning that this model wasn't going to be a topseller, just because hawkbills are a special design and not for everyone.

Putting a +- Manix blade into the handle was not too much (re)design work, and is an opportunity to get a little more return of investment out of that handle. I hope the Superleaf sells well.

Dennis
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Back at the office where I have my macro-lens set-up. Some photos of the thickness of the Superleaf blade:

Millimeter ruler - about 4-mm.

And, next to a nickel. Blade is about 2-nickels thick.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Thanks for all the pics Racer, looks like it would make a great work knife.

Too bad they put the clip on upside down though ;)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Diamondback wrote:Could someone please explain to me the purpose of the hook on the end of the SuperLeaf's handle. Is it MBC related, to help lock in grip ? Does it hinder grip options. I need education. :)
The pinky hook is found on many different designs (the Aqua Salt and Temperance are good examples). It serves as a "stop" for the hand and helps enhance your grip, especially during pulling cuts. On large knives and choppers, it helps keep the knife in your hand during chopping.

The handle design of the Superleaf is the same as the Superhawk, which featured a hawkbill blade. Hawkbill blades work best with pulling cuts, so the pinky hook was a natural complement to that design. It was simply retained on the Superleaf design to offer the same handle ergonomics.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I think it would be a great "work knife." The blade is very stout. The weight of the blade makes for an easy flick open - THWACK! Once the blade is moving, the momentum keeps it going until it locks.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm curious about this model, I hope the bladestock is thicker than the paramillie and Manix 2. More variety in the line-up that way. Can someone post a comparison pic with the spines and tips of the superleaf and Manix 2 or Paramilitary?
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Donut

Post by Donut »

Superleaf is as thick as the Superhawk if that helps, it is very thick. I can get a picture of the Manix 2, Superleaf, and Para (1) later today.

I'm not promising the best picture you've ever seen. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

That's a nice knife, I've got to get one, but after the sage III gets here :) .
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mr Blonde wrote:I'm curious about this model, I hope the bladestock is thicker than the paramillie and Manix 2. More variety in the line-up that way. Can someone post a comparison pic with the spines and tips of the superleaf and Manix 2 or Paramilitary?
The pic above shows it to be right about 4mm, which is the same as the Para/Para 2 and thicker than the Manix 2.
~David
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

looks like a folding temperance but with a choil. might need to get me one of these.
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Michael Janich wrote:The pinky hook is found on many different designs (the Aqua Salt and Temperance are good examples). It serves as a "stop" for the hand and helps enhance your grip, especially during pulling cuts. On large knives and choppers, it helps keep the knife in your hand during chopping.

The handle design of the Superleaf is the same as the Superhawk, which featured a hawkbill blade. Hawkbill blades work best with pulling cuts, so the pinky hook was a natural complement to that design. It was simply retained on the Superleaf design to offer the same handle ergonomics.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks Mike, it does help, along with everyone elses patient explainations. :)
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Mr Blonde wrote:I'm curious about this model, I hope the bladestock is thicker than the paramillie and Manix 2. More variety in the line-up that way. Can someone post a comparison pic with the spines and tips of the superleaf and Manix 2 or Paramilitary?
If the Superleaf is the same as the Superhawk, it will be the same as the Military: 4mm. That's all according to the Spyderco web catalog, which shows the Manix 2 as 3mm.
Donut

Post by Donut »

First off I will warn you all that I am not a professional photographer or pretend to be. I think the last picture went out of the close range of my normal macro mode.

Manix 2 XHP, Superleaf, Superhawk, Para 1 D2

Superleaf, Superhawk, Para 1 D2 (Out of focus)

Para 1 D2, Superleaf, Superhawk (Out of focus)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!