Love the Manix 2, smaller alternatives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coelacanth

Love the Manix 2, smaller alternatives?

Post by coelacanth »

I recently got a Manix 2 with CS limited orange G-10, and I love the smoooooth operation. I'm sure the Manix will serve me well for weekend activities, but it's a bit too large/beefy for weekday EDC for me.

Delica 4 is my most used EDC blade, and I really love it, but I find myself reaching for the M2 when I come home just to appreciate the super smooth operation and the overall quality.

What are the smaller alternatives to Manix 2 when you want to feel the same smoothness and the sense of manufacturing precision? (Not saying Delica is made worse!) I've heard Caly 3 is very close. Would you agree? How's Native 5? Are there others?

I'm lefty so the ambidextrous design (clip & locking) is a must.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

Sage 3 is smaller, FFG, and is dynamite smooth...and a cool blue...Handled it today at SFO and momma, it's the cat's meow. Lefty friendly as far as lock goes.

--Jason
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Caly 3, Caly 3.5, or the new Sage III, would be your best bets. The Caly's are very well made but they won't have quite the same smoothness as the Manix 2. They'll be more like your Delica in that regard. That's just the nature of midlocks where one block of steel is pressed hard against another while the blade is opening. Have not handled the Sage III yet, but given the way its lock works, it may very well be as smooth as the Manix and, if as well finished as the other two Sages, will have impeccable fit and finish.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Sage 3 is smooth as silk. and should satisfy all your requirements.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vicbastige

Post by vicbastige »

...and I really hope my Sage III shows up soon. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

While they are different knives the Sage series and Manix2 share many features. In your hand they both have a deep choil grip and a nice wide blade.

You can't go wrong with any Sage. I have the II and it's very nice :) .
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Aha! I totally overlooked the Sage 3. Thanks everyone. I guess I was kind of skipping the name Sage because 1 & 2 weren't lefty friendly due to the locks, and the fact it's "Made in Taiwan" was putting me off a bit. (I know, I know. "Made in Taiwan = bad quality" is so last decade)

Sage 3 is fully ambidextrous and that blue G-10 would be a great complement to the orange M2 and probably people-friendly too for EDCing in busy city area commute.

I shall place a pre-order for one, but not sure which dealer has better track record of pre-order fulfillment... CS doesn't list S3. KC Maybe?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm a lefty and I can use the Sage I pretty effectively. Either with the middle finger of my left hand, or I can flip it and use my thumb to disengage the lock and my index finger to move the blade...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

coelacanth wrote:(I know, I know. "Made in Taiwan = bad quality" is so last decade)
It's hard to forget things of the past. Same reason I have to kick myself when I think bad things about Hyundai.

The Taiwan Spydies are unbelievable in fit and finish. My Sage 2 blows me away every time I look at it closely.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I remember when "Made in Japan" mostly meant cheap junk. Today, people actively seek out things made in Japan and regard them as superior quality, for the most part. Example: Nikkor (Nikon) lenses made in Japan go for a premium compared to the same model made in Thailand, Singapore or other places.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Blerv & JNewell,

I know what you are saying. As a Japan-born Japanese living/working in the US for the past 10 years, I try to buy Made in USA & Japan stuff whenever I can (and Germany for some stuff) but probably there are pride & contribution (to the US economy) factors involved. Like JNewell said, "made in Japan" was once the label of junk, and things turned around 180º over time.

I've read about Sal visiting several factories in Taiwan and picked this particular one for its superior quality construction and QC ability. Maybe judging/predicting the quality simply by the country name is really an outdated way of thinking...

Looks like the Sage 3 is definitely the one to try out. Now I just gotta find one available...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the Michael Walker Sprint for work carry. Also, the Wayne Goddard Jr. gets some of my pocket time. The Stretch is a larger office carry for me. The future FFG ZDP Delica is probably going to be ideal for me.

I guess you could do a dragonfly 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'm a lefty and I can use the Sage I pretty effectively. Either with the middle finger of my left hand, or I can flip it and use my thumb to disengage the lock and my index finger to move the blade...
Maybe I should give it a try, but still a bit nervous of buying one without knowing how well it works for me from in-person trial. I just have to guess unless the design is symmetrical, the left-handed usability can't match the right-handed use that the design is intended for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I say give it a go. It's a great knife and with just a little practice you should be opening and closing with one hand in no time.
My Persistence is my edc and that is a liner lock and I don't even need to look at it any more to open and close it with my left hand even though it isn't made for left use, hole is partially blocked by g10 and the lock is made for right handed people.

And if you have a real problem, it will be really easy to resell that knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

coelacanth wrote:Looks like the Sage 3 is definitely the one to try out. Now I just gotta find one available...
Given Kristi's announcement yesterday, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that by early next week every internet dealer will have received some of them. This is a regular production knife, so, while I'm sure there will be a goodly amount of interest, I don't think there will be the same overbooked pre-order list situation that's cropped up with some of the recent Sprint Run models.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I had never seen the Sage 3 before, and I
just took a look because of this thread.

I can't tell exactly what lock that is. It looks like a CBBL, but is it? Also looks like an Axis Lock. Is it a lock I just don't know about yet?

I love the S30V FFG blade. I love the blue G10.
I personally am not over the Taiwan-thing yet, and I have some question about why this Taiwan-made knife costs so much more than a Golden-made 154CM Manix 2 does. I bought my M2 for a little over $80 and the Sage 3 lists now for $127.95!

Is the difference accounted for by having a FFG S30V blade??
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

The Deacon wrote:Given Kristi's announcement yesterday, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that by early next week every internet dealer will have received some of them. This is a regular production knife, so, while I'm sure there will be a goodly amount of interest, I don't think there will be the same overbooked pre-order list situation that's cropped up with some of the recent Sprint Run models.
+1

'Course the G-10 Para2 isn't a sprint either :D

--Jason
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There have been a lot of threads with comments from Sal and others about this lock - too much to try to regurgitate here. It's not at all like a CBL. It's sort of like an Axis lock with the lock bar turned 90 degrees.

I assume that the principal contributor to the cost is the expensive, brand-new tooling. Comparing it to the Manix 2 is not apples:apples, though. Remember that Sal has specifically identified the Manix 2 as one of the knives that is part of a selective experiment by Spyderco with reduced profit margins. Most knives in the Spyderco line actually look somewhat expensive compared with the Manix 2, not just the Sage series.

The Taiwan thing has been done to death a thousand times - I wouldn't try to persuade you at this point. I'd just say that ownership satisfaction with the Sage series is among the highest of any knife series in the entire Spyderco line.
peacefuljeffrey wrote:I had never seen the Sage 3 before, and I
just took a look because of this thread.

I can't tell exactly what lock that is. It looks like a CBBL, but is it? Also looks like an Axis Lock. Is it a lock I just don't know about yet?

I love the S30V FFG blade. I love the blue G10.
I personally am not over the Taiwan-thing yet, and I have some question about why this Taiwan-made knife costs so much more than a Golden-made 154CM Manix 2 does. I bought my M2 for a little over $80 and the Sage 3 lists now for $127.95!

Is the difference accounted for by having a FFG S30V blade??