Sal, forum knife question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Sal, forum knife question

Post by Sequimite »

Sal,

We've had a number of threads on desired forum knives. I was under the impression that you welcome these discussions. A number of members however, including several whose opinions I greatly value, maintain that threads which express a desire for particular features in a forum knife are disrespectful, annoying, inappropriate, etc. Not wanting to be any of these things, I'd like to know if my impression is correct or if, in fact, you would rather we didn't pursue this topic.

Thanks.

Greg
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

bump.......
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
catamount

Post by catamount »

The posts on the other thread were personal opinions, which, IMO, don't reflect Sal's view. I can't imagine Sal being opposed to ideas & suggestions about a forum knife (or any other :spyder: related topic) being posted here, unless it's done in an inflammatory or inappropriate manner.

That's what this forum is for.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
sal

Post by sal »

Forum knives are fine. We do them regularly. Usually Kristi handles that and frankly, SHOT show preparateion has has us pretty busy lately.

I imagine we'll get more into it when SHOt is over.

sal
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

sal wrote:Forum knives are fine.
Knowing Sal's fine sense of literary ambiguity, I take this as a go ahead to discuss forum knife ideas and desires.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Sequimite wrote:Knowing Sal's fine sense of literary ambiguity, I take this as a go ahead to discuss forum knife ideas and desires.
Especially since his fine sense of literary ambiguity indicated that Kristi is the one who has to put up with us! Delegation at its finest. :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

love to see a forum knife come out, my 2 cents are that a sage or caly or maybe a stretch in g10 would be awsome as a forum knife.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

How about an Orange Dodo forum knife?? :D
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I think a worthy part of the discussion then should be what we think would be a fair and equitable way to get the forum knife into the hands of forum members (intended target right?) without the few hoarding speculation types who snatch them all up and cause a combative discussion ruckus later.

That being said, perhaps a registered forum member with at least x number of posts may qualify for one or two forum knives. When they're gone, they're gone and so being an active member would definitely be to your advantage to know when and how they will be sold.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A forum knife is a good idea, a knife designed by a forum, not so good. I would like to see the Forum members pick a designer and let the them do the design.

A Camel is a horse designed by a committee.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Just a quick idea i knocked out in Photoshop just now.

Manix 2 - FFG - etc. like the sprint runs and other special eds.
Black blade and hardware with white graphics, White G-10 scales.

Rep the board with a great graphic advertising Spyderco.com Forums and a knife made
in Golden, Colorado! :) :) :)

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I could really care less who designs a forum knife, but I will say without reservation that the white Manix2 with all black hardware is absolutely the coolest looking knife I've seen in a lonnnng time.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I think we have discussed the 2010 forum knife many times in depth. I just do not understand why nothing came of it. We had polls after polls, suggestion after suggestion.

Why didn't we just decide on one and go with it. 2010 is gone, and no forum knife was made.. . :-(
bh49

Post by bh49 »

New LW Manix2 will be good. Native5 even better. One thing for sure I prefer 'Spyderco Forum" knife to be made in Golden
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I still think an H-1 Native III would be a GREAT forum knife! :D :D
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
andrewjuguete

Post by andrewjuguete »

that white m2 looks awesome!
GTP2K1

Post by GTP2K1 »

Is the forum knife a long tradition that just didn't come together last year? Also is it something of a Frankenstein of available parts (colors, hardware, materials but keeping core design) assembled in a unique combo in a limited run; or has there been custom changes made to a knife design like a Stretch with a Liner/Frame lock (an actual design change)?
Of course it would only work if everyone agree'd thats what they wanted for the years forum knife.

EDIT: Found https://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47317 Pretty much answers my questions
Endura I (First Spydie)
Tenacious (Work)
Para2, Strech II (EDCs)
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

Yeah white M2 looks great. Good render.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Maybe we could make a cheaper version of the balance? I think it looks like a great knife, but don't want to pay the premium price, so possibly a neat FRN color or g10 instead of CF? Goes with a long tradition of little big knifes!
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

white m2 looks great.