Civilian

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p3pe

Civilian

Post by p3pe »

Some of the blade shows when closed. I can actually feel the edge. Will this be an issue if weared regularly, like dulling the blade?
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I doubt it. The Civilian model has been around for quite a while, and this issue has never come up in discussion. If there was a serious issue, it would have been addressed.

I don't own a Civilian, but have some :spyder: hawkbill models that also show a bit of the edge outside of the handle scales when closed. I've not had a problem with them.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I have never had an issue with mine...I don't think their is enough exposed to matter.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

They've been around for long enough that nobody has really expressed a huge issue with it. People have drilled out a hole in the FRN to deal with the tip, a little "tip well" that it sits in so that the blade doesn't show. It's unnecessary unless you're extremely conscious of the blade and feel that its not visually appealing.

Basically, don't worry about it unless you're (excuse my french) anal about how the blade sits in the FRN.
Andy
p3pe

blade shows so I can feel the edge when closed.

Post by p3pe »

My only concern about this is if the edge would be dull at that lønn from wear:-)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect that if the blade were getting dull, the owner's clothing would be getting shredded. Can't recall anyone ever complaining about that and, given that all Civilians are constructed like yours, imagine if it were a legitimate "issue" someone would have reported it by now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Yes, I guess so. Now I can start wearing it:-o
Shazam

Post by Shazam »

I could only see it being a bit of a concern if you carried the know tip-up. The serrations on the exposed blade could potentially catch on something before opening.
:spyder: Spyderco-aholic
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Shazam wrote:I could only see it being a bit of a concern if you carried the know tip-up. The serrations on the exposed blade could potentially catch on something before opening.
Not really, it's not the tip that's exposed, just a short section of the concave curved part of the reverse S. I suspect the only thing that could touch the exposed edge would be small objects carried in the same pocket. But doing that with any knife carried for SD would be foolish, IMHO, since even if the edge is totally inside the handle there is always a chance of a coin, key, or other object, wedging itself in alongside the blade and making deployment difficult or impossible. Picture below shows an older, Tufram Civilian, but the exposure on the newer G-10 ones is similar.
Attachments
civ_blade_detail.jpg
civ_blade_detail.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!