Scale preference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

With regards to handle scale materials that Spyderco uses for its knives, I like G-10, FRN, and titanium. I do like the other scale materials Spyderco uses... I'm just more intrigued by these three.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Shazam

Post by Shazam »

I do appreciate the FRN for durability and they tend to be my go-to EDC. Light and durable, and over the years better steel to go with! The G10 models are new to me this year so I have yet to really notice the pants pocket getting eaten up.

I have to admit that my stainless models take a beating in the pockets, and scratch up pretty good - but thats partly the charm. Ive never tried to buff any of them out ... But i try not to have spyderco knives that are non-users. The practicality and quality is the reason I spend the money on them. The stainless models have their place ... worth the extra weight IMHO. Although dropping one is a higher potential with the heavier models. I also have to admit that the stainless models are "less offensive" in certain PC situations than say ... A fully serrated Millie (but just as capable).
:spyder: Spyderco-aholic
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

FRN for me. G-10 next. I'd consider titanium. No way to SS or CF, I don't like either one.

Gordon
JonBasha

Post by JonBasha »

I have to say I'm with you on the SS. I personally have started collecting them. I have a Sage CF that I use as an EDC. What is your collection so far?
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

This is not a easy question becaue i love the look of cf but dont like smooth cf. I love the feel of G10 but it can be to gripy and be hard to draw sometimes. I cant find any fault with frn so i have to place it first. Then ply peel cf next and g10 last. I guess it all depends on what knife it is because i do no like ss except on the Endura.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

My preferences go something like:

1. Titanium
2. FRN
3. G10 or Micarta
4. Wood
5. Carbon Fiber
6. Steel
7. Bone
Jules

Post by Jules »

Until now I preferred the FRN handles because of the light weight.

Recently got my first SS knife, an Endura. I was amazed how comfortalble and strong it is. I was worried that it will be heavy in my pocket, but I almost cannot feel it.

It is interesting that for some reason the FRN Endura somehow didn't felt good in my hand.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

G10 or micarta.

Zytel and FRN are completely acceptable handle materials. But they always feel cheaper and flimsy compared to G10 or micarta. I like when my knife feels rock solid. You can't get much better than those two, and they're widely available from Spyderco. Win/win.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Flintknaped(sculpted) G10.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dialex

Post by dialex »

You're gonna laugh, but I absolutely love the "chippie" FRN. Of course, it's the Spyderco FRN I'm talking about; I had the opportunity of testing the equivalent made by other brands, and it's not even close.
These being said, it doesn't mean I reject the SS, the G-10, or God forbid, the CF or titanium. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Carbon fiber and any kind of wood for looks, G-10 for use.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

My favorite is the peel ply cf from golden and a close second is the peel ply fro
seki city. I also am very fond of titanium and g-10 but not a fan of stainless steel. Out of about 50 spydies I have 2 that are stainless steel handles and they have never been used!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I prefer peel-ply CF, titanium, G10, FRN
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Carbon fiber or g10