MT08P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Aogami Super Blue Steel

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

MountainManJim wrote:I am also amazed by the finish of the steel. It is so reflective it looks like chrome. And, for some reason the blade feel lighter than the other Mules which I know is not possible.

I can't wait to use this steel :)

Jim
The shiny is somehow very intense, +1.

Or,... Sal has done something to my brain.

--Jason
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

sal wrote:Hi Charlie,

They're running about 62. 61.5 on the low side 63 on the high side.

sal
Awesome 62-63 sounds perfect for non-laminated AS! Thanks!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

a question or two.

I just ordered one and this is my first mule. Does anyone have any recommendations for sheaths and handles? I put some handles on a green river a year or so back and it looks like sand blocks so I am definitely not going to try to get creative with this blade.

I have been looking at these for years when they release another type of steel but never pulled the trigger. I am really excited about checking out one of these mules. :D
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Got it on its way to Europe :-))) (hopefully with the hardcopy 2011 catalogue)

<:{{{{{>
Tom
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Bluntrauma wrote:a question or two.

I just ordered one and this is my first mule. Does anyone have any recommendations for sheaths and handles? I put some handles on a green river a year or so back and it looks like sand blocks so I am definitely not going to try to get creative with this blade.
check out this thread there should be some info in there. i think it was Halpern Titanium that was making scales for the mules that you could just screw in or you can go with custom handles, there are enough knife mechanics around.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Halpern Titanium does make some pretty good handles for the mule. I've been using them with my truncated MT-07 and find then very ergonomic. They can't take the place of a custom made scale completely though.

You can get a really nice sheath through JLS on the forum. The leather sheaths are quite nice :) Zach (Eighth of Eight) can make some really nice custom handles if you want.

Attached is a pic with the HT scales and JLS sheath.
Attachments
damasccus mule with sheath copy.jpg
damasccus mule with sheath copy.jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gt_mule

Post by gt_mule »

JNewell wrote:IMO, the MT01 in 52100 has been the sleeper of this series, probably because it was the first one in the series. It's a fabulous blade. Sharpens up very well and pretty quickly, holds an edge very nicely. It's not stainless, but that's not a problem.
+1. Not to hijack the thread, but I would really like to see Spyderco produce a folder in 52100. Specifically a Para2.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gt_mule wrote:+1. Not to hijack the thread, but I would really like to see Spyderco produce a folder in 52100. Specifically a Para2.

I will have to ask pardon here, too, but I totally agree with you. A sprint it would probably have to be, given that 52100 is not stainless and probably would not sell well enough for normal or even limited production runs, but it would be killah.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the JLS for sure. The handles however might be a bit trickier. I have seen the ones listed and no offense to anyone that has them but I just don't like them at all. Very plain and generic looking. Yesterday I got to thinking about Michael Potter. He made a handle for a subcom. Perhaps I can drop him a line. It would be nice though to get something that I could put on so I don't have to send the knife off. Like the concept on the ones mentioned but really hate the look of them. Back to the drawing board.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bluntrauma wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the JLS for sure. The handles however might be a bit trickier. I have seen the ones listed and no offense to anyone that has them but I just don't like them at all. Very plain and generic looking. Yesterday I got to thinking about Michael Potter. He made a handle for a subcom. Perhaps I can drop him a line. It would be nice though to get something that I could put on so I don't have to send the knife off. Like the concept on the ones mentioned but really hate the look of them. Back to the drawing board.
The Show your Mule thread would be a good place to see examples of nice scales.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I received my two mules today. Very shiny and nice finish on the steel. The finish to the steel around the handle is kind of rough. Has anyone seen this? This is not the usual finish of the area around the handle....
cckw

Post by cckw »

yes, mine was a bit rougher in places then previous.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Hector Castro wrote:I received my two mules today. Very shiny and nice finish on the steel. The finish to the steel around the handle is kind of rough. Has anyone seen this? This is not the usual finish of the area around the handle....
I just checked out mine and have the same thing, a rougher finish around the whole edge of the handle area. I don't mind it, but it is different.

The paper that wraps the knife seems to have a <strike>purpose of absorbing moisture or humidity (I assume)</strike> "vapor phase corrosion inhibitor", as the wrapper shows:
Attachments
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG (82.47 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The anti-rust paper wrap has a chemical that inhibits rust actively. It does not absorb moisture to do its job. It contains a vapor phase corrosion inhibitor that outgases to inhibit rust formation.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bill1170 wrote:The anti-rust paper wrap has a chemical that inhibits rust actively. It does not absorb moisture to do its job. It contains a vapor phase corrosion inhibitor that outgases to inhibit rust formation.
Thanks for clarifying that, as the Google translation of Adcoat's page made it hard to reach a definitive conclusion. My Japanese is a bit rusty, so it wasn't very clear what exactly the paper did.

http://www.adpack.jp/lineup/type_tk.html
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Anyone else see the rough finish around the edge? Or is the three of us, isolated cases?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

MountainManJim wrote:I am also amazed by the finish of the steel. It is so reflective it looks like chrome.
Strangely, mine has a lot of grind marks. The Chinese Mule had a better finish. Hopefully, that means I won the hardness lottery. :p

Gordon
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

gaj999 wrote:Strangely, mine has a lot of grind marks. The Chinese Mule had a better finish. Hopefully, that means I won the hardness lottery. :p

Gordon
Just got mine and wow, the spine is really rough and the curve a bit irregular. I've never seen a Mule that had unfinished grind marks on the handle spine until this one.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
MCM

Post by MCM »

Are there pic's somewhere showing this?
Also, anyone use /try one yet?

Thanks!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sequimite wrote:Just got mine and wow, the spine is really rough and the curve a bit irregular. I've never seen a Mule that had unfinished grind marks on the handle spine until this one.
I ordered two. Interestingly (maybe?), one has a beautiful finish on the blade and tang. On the other, however, the forward third of the tang and all of the blade look like they were finished with a 40-grit belt. :eek: I bet it will still cut like a laser, however. :)